360 Update

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Paul Campbell

360 Update

Postby Paul Campbell » March 20th, 2006, 4:33 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The GameCube certainly does not have a few years left in it.  Realistically it died at least a year ago.

[/QUOTE]

Not in my book.  I just got the new soccer game Mario Strikers, and it is proving to me, yet again, that Nintendo is the absolute KING of making fricken' FUN games!

JustLikeHeaven1

360 Update

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 20th, 2006, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell][QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The GameCube certainly does not have a few years left in it.  Realistically it died at least a year ago.

[/QUOTE]

Not in my book.  I just got the new soccer game Mario Strikers, and it is proving to me, yet again, that Nintendo is the absolute KING of making fricken' FUN games!
[/QUOTE]

The Gamecube may be dead to most gamers, but fans of the system will stick around and cherish the final titles released in the upcoming months.  The slow trickle of new games published certainly reminds me of the N64's final months.  Personally I liked the Gamecube and I supported the hell out of it for a long time.  Eventually though the 3rd party support dried up and the ports of great games no longer made their way to the system.  My Gamecube collection is probably the smallest of all the current gen systems I own, but the quality of the games in that collection is unmatched.  All of my buddies enjoyed the system, but I could never convince them to buy one.  On a sad note many of them were going to buy the system for Resident Evil 4 only to find out the game was going to be ported to the PS2.  Its sad because RE 4 really would have helped sell some systems...

Hey Paul, is Mario Strikers worth getting if you already own Sega Soccer Slam?  I played a demo of Strikers the other day it and seemed to be a carbon copy of that game with Nintendo characters.  I think SSS is a fantastic game, but I was hoping Strikers would turn out a little differently...

bluemonkey1

360 Update

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 20th, 2006, 12:37 pm

I've always found the way they tag Mario into all the sports games somewhat dull myself, Virtua Tennis beats Mario Tennis, Hot Shots beats Mario Golf.  Strikers has done nothing to change my mind.  Besides Odama and Zelda I seem to have missed these "excellent" titles that have trickled out or are coming.  The problem with the GC is that a lot of the games are multiplatform and not the best versions.  It also fairs poorly as a multiplayer platform.  I like my GC as it does have some gems but it's just that the other consoles have repeatedly come out with excellent titles over the last year whereas the only GC games I find myself buying are from 3-4 years ago.

Zenzerotron

360 Update

Postby Zenzerotron » March 20th, 2006, 2:06 pm

For me, I noticed the beginning of the great Gamecube software drought around the time Soul Calibur 2 came out. It was such a great moment getting that game for my Gamecube, and I recall even then, some people on Gamefaqs.com message boards saying things to the effect "boy, the Gamecube really needed this game" and "this game is a shot in the arm" and such. I pretty much felt the same way. SC2 was the last great Gamecube game for me.

I know not everyone will argee with me on this *cough Paul*, but in my eyes, no question, Mario sports games and Mario Party sequals are pure filler/shovel ware. It's stuff Nintendo is apathetically turning out, to go through the motions. I don't even think that Nintendo itself cares about the Gamecube. Look at all the wonderfull games that Nintendo is coming out with for the DS. It's painfully clear to me that Nintendo is giving all it's love to DS and it's kicked Gamecube out of bed.

sega saturn x

360 Update

Postby sega saturn x » March 20th, 2006, 3:48 pm

I think Fire emblem will be the last great cube exclusive game for me, since nothing else is looking better than it.  Odama and the new harvest moon game will probably be two of the last new cube games I buy.  The cube went through severe drouts and it forced me to play some games I generally wouldn't have (just to get a new cube game) with varying results.  One thing's for sure they need to cut out all the mario sports games, or at least not put mario in them.  They are good games to get me wrong, but why not remove mario and keep the whimsy?  I know the answer to that though, because evryone knows mario so people will buy it.

Sonic the Hedgehog

360 Update

Postby Sonic the Hedgehog » March 20th, 2006, 6:36 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]

I know not everyone will argee with me on this *cough Paul*

[/QUOTE]

Zen, why do you HATE Paul Campbell so much? Just curious?

Paul Campbell

360 Update

Postby Paul Campbell » March 21st, 2006, 1:21 am

I don't think Zen hates me.  (at least I hope not)  We have just always had this little tiff going on about the Gamecube (as well as some personal opinions about life in general).  But a difference of opinion doesn't make me not like Zen, even thought he's totally wrong ().  I kind of enjoy it, actually.   Poking fun at Zen and hoping he retalliates with all his guns.  That's half the fun of forums.

Zenzerotron

360 Update

Postby Zenzerotron » March 21st, 2006, 1:05 pm

I've never been a likable person, in real life or online Sonic.  I think it's a small miracle if Paul is the only person who visits this site whom dislikes me.

Honestly Paul, are you REALLY happy only getting a Mario Party sequal or a Mario-themed sports game for Gamecube every 6 months? I don't see how even the most hardcore Nintendo fan can be overly-thrilled with the Gamecube software drought of the past 6-9 months.

And now I take it, the last great Gamecube game is going to be a Revolution game?? No Zelda?? This probly means that the very last Gamecube game that I'll ever bought is the dreadfull Chaos Feild. It's a crying shame.

How I miss the first 2 years of Gamecube's life. Great games from Nintendo and plenty of healthy 3rd party support.

Return to “Modern Gaming”