Wii-Motion Plus?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 6th, 2009, 6:21 pm

I've been using the Wii-motion plus with the new Tiger Woods, and it is a modest improvement.  The pointer control seems less erratic and slightly more accurate. 

The downside is, it makes using the controller "NES style" a LOT less comfortable, since the right side of the controller is extended.  It sacrifices some ergonomics for control.

It makes me wish Nintendo had made the thing right the first time.  When console makers start making bulky add-ons, it's not a good sign.  If you don't believe me, take a look at my Genesis/Sega CD/32X monstrosity, which have enough power adapters combined to cause a brownout!

Comments?

snakeboy1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby snakeboy1 » July 6th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Like a lot of other people, I do wish the Wii Remote would have been made this way from the beginning. And after playing Tiger Woods 10 and Grand Slam Tennis with motion plus, it just reinforces that opinion. However, Nintendo has said that while motion plus capabilities were possible from the beginning, they didn't incorporate it because it was too cost prohibitive. Some of you may think that is a bunch of crap, but it makes some sense, especially since they were trying to attract the casual gamer who would have been turned off by the high price.

You say that the pointer control is more accurate, but I'm not even sure if motion plus has anything to with the pointer controls. I may be wrong, but I think motion plus is designed to make motion controls more accurate in games designed for it.

As far as the adapter making it more uncomfortable when using it NES-style, you can always just take the adapter off. Once again I could be wrong, but I don't forsee too many games being developed for motion plus that will require you to use the remote NES-style.

And finally I don't agree that motion plus is just a "modest" improvement in Tiger Woods. To me it is a huge difference. Do you have the game settings set to the most advanced settings? If you don't, motion plus will not be utilized. When I first played the game, I didn't notice any difference, but then I realized I needed to be playing on the advanced setting (also make sure you have Precision Putting on).

Cataclysm1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby Cataclysm1 » July 11th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Gyros were not affordable back in 2006. Even now, Nintendo is certainly eating the cost of Motion Plus especially with putting it in games for free.

Meanwhile, let us talk about why Microsoft chose not to launch with the Elite Xbox 360 with HDMI or why Sony chose to launch a PS3 with less HD space. Of course, they didn't 'choose' these things. Costs are very different three and four years ago.

Why did Nintendo launch with the DS? Why didn't they just launch with the DS Lite? Or why bother even doing that? Why not launch in 2004 with DSi?

The Critic is sounding more like a typical game reviewer with each passing day. Comparing Motion Plus to the 'mushroom' of 32x? Good grief.

snakeboy1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby snakeboy1 » July 11th, 2009, 5:33 pm

I think having motion plus as a separate adapter does have at least one advantage. It allows for games to have a couple different control options. You can have the simple and easy to learn, albeit less accurate, casual-friendly option. Or you can have the extremely accurate, though more difficult to master, control option that motion plus allows.

[QUOTE=Cataclysm]Gyros were not affordable back in 2006. Even now, Nintendo is certainly eating the cost of Motion Plus especially with putting it in games for free.[/QUOTE]
Not only that, but they are allowing some third parties to bundle motion plus with their games. Yes, these games cost 10 dollars more, but 60 bucks is not a bad price at all for a game like Tiger Woods 10 with motion plus.

Really, there was nothing Nintendo could have done to please everyone. If they would have launched the Wiimote with this function, gamers would have complained it was too expensive. If they release it as an add-on a few years later like they did, they complain it should have been that way from the beginning. If they never release motion plus, they will continue to complain about inaccurate controls. So, in many ways it was a no-win situation when it came to the minds of many gamers.

m0zart1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby m0zart1 » July 11th, 2009, 5:45 pm

[QUOTE=Cataclysm]Meanwhile, let us talk about why Microsoft chose not to launch with the Elite Xbox 360 with HDMI or why Sony chose to launch a PS3 with less HD space. Of course, they didn't 'choose' these things. Costs are very different three and four years ago.[/QUOTE]

Why in the world would he need to talk about all those things in order to discuss Wii Motion Plus?  Not every discussion here or anywhere else has to be bell curve based, or a full-grown system war.

[QUOTE=snakeboy]A lot of very good stuff[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with everything you said.

steer

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby steer » July 11th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Well, I kinda hear where catclysm is coming from, bell curve or no.

Remember it is an accessory, no different than the balnce board/ Most game will not use it, or need to use it to acomplish what they are going for. For example look at some other Nintendo E-3 games, New Super Mario uses NES style wimote, Galaxy 2 uses wimote nunchuck.

The real test for motion plus is Wii Sports Resort. That is probably the biggest game that will ever use it, including Zelda.

snakeboy1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby snakeboy1 » July 20th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Here is a pretty good (and short) article that explains why the Wiimote didn't have motion plus capabilities from the beginning.

Basically it says that the technology to make the Wiimote small and affordable with motion plus capabilities wasn't available when the Wii launched.

funky_muzic1

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby funky_muzic1 » July 25th, 2009, 12:08 pm

So far so good on Wii Motion Plus.  I agree that it would have been better if this was included in the original controller...but it also would have been better if the Wii came with VR glasses, or if head-tracking was utilized, etc...
I'm very happy with my Wii and I'm going to be at the store tomorrow morning picking up Wii Sports Resort! 

The bad thing about WSR is that I'll have to go pro all over again!  Oh, the agony of playing hours of video games. 

Paul

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby Paul » August 3rd, 2009, 8:23 am

I noticed the Wii Motion-Plus makes the Wii-mote much heavier. I didn't notice so much the size of the thing because I will disconnect it if I'm playing a game that requires NES style control. (ie. SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1) I am not too fond of how quickly a session of Wii Sports Resort will drain the batteries, though. (Good thing for rechargeable batteries!)

feilong801

Wii-Motion Plus?

Postby feilong801 » August 23rd, 2009, 5:35 pm

A little late to the party on this, but oh well. I agree with Snakeboy and m0zart, but would like to address the comparison to the 32x from the OP.

This is much, much different than that. You have a huge difference in price and size. This part is speculation, but I also remember not "asking" for such an upgrade when I was a kid back then, I always just thought that SEGA was going to release a brand new system, and was utterly confused why they would go some "halfway house" way of going into the next generation. Most of us thought that a new SEGA system was coming anyway and therefore felt the 32x was a waste of time.

Motion Plus does not come with that expectation. While the "Wii HD" type sequel to Wii is going to happen at some point, it is probably at least a year or two a way at minimum.

-Rob

Return to “Modern Gaming”