Wii Chargers?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wii Chargers?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2009, 2:30 pm

I picked up a Pelican/Psyclone charger for four Wii-motes about a year ago, and I'm not a fan.  First there was a recall on them for a fire hazard, so I had to send it back to get another one. Both have not worked very well. 

It's pretty easy to use, and the lights look cool.  But the charge doesn't seem to last very long, and the Wii system will report a low charge on a recently charged controller.  Also, controllers seem to lose their charge if they're just sitting around for a few days.

I noticed that if I ignore the "low charge" warnings, the controllers seem to be fine, leading me to believe the sensor just isn't detecting this product correctly.

Anyway if anybody has any experience with Wii chargers please chime in.

m0zart1

Wii Chargers?

Postby m0zart1 » December 28th, 2009, 4:13 pm

I have had the Nyko charger for two Wiimotes for several years now, and it has never given me an issue.  It charges each Wiimote quickly and they last for a day or two after that.  I pretty much just keep them on the chargers until I am ready to use them.

snakeboy1

Wii Chargers?

Postby snakeboy1 » December 28th, 2009, 7:06 pm

I've also had the Nyko charger for a couple of years, and it seems to work pretty well. In fact I've liked it enough to recently buy the 4 Wiimote charger. The charge only seems to last about half as long as regular batteries, but it's not a problem as long as you keep them on the charger.

JustLikeHeaven1

Wii Chargers?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 29th, 2009, 11:37 am

I think you're money is better spent on good rechargeable battery kit.  I've used a nice Duracell kit that I picked up for about $15 that gets me through just fine.  It only charges 4 AA batteries at a time, but I've never had a problem with batteries dying and needing to charge more than that.  Plus the charge lasts for a long time.  I can go about a week or two depending on how often I play the Wii. 

I've always been weary of non-licensed products for my videogame accessories.  I would be much more at ease with the product if I knew Nintendo produced it.  You're story of a fire hazard is the exact reason why I never buy things from companies like Mad Katz and Pelican.  They make garbage products and are rarely worth the money or headache.  Nyko has a little bit better reputation in my book. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”