Nintendo just lost the next generation console war...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 5th, 2006, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

Anyway, I don't want to start DS Vs. PSP War XV so I'll just leave it at that.

Can't we all just get along? PEACE!

[/QUOTE]
I think PSP and DS fans will be at odds more than any other group of videogamers have been.  Sure there are people who own both, but even those people have a pretty obvious preference as time goes on.   The difficulty lies in what each represents.
The DS is less powerful, much cheaper, mainly a gaming device, made by a purely gaming company (outside of cartoons of course), and favours 2D.
The PSP is a generation more powerful, much more expensive, is a multimedia device, is made by a company that focuses on the entire entertainment industry (not just games), and favours 3D.

Two entirely different paths of gaming are represented by the two handhelds, and people, even those who own both, will likely end up vastly prefering one to the other.
It looks like Zero Talerance PSP may sell me a PSP, but I'll likely end up disliking about 95% of it's library, just like I do with almost all consoles made sine the 16-bit generation (yes, even the GameCube, it has some terrible NFS type racing games, broken hockey games, and a pile of Splinter Cells and other multiplatform garbage afterall).

hi there

Postby hi there » May 5th, 2006, 7:43 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

What a joke, one racing game? From 1995 no less! The game barely comes close to the N-64. Try these racing games:

Great score, is this 4 out of 5 or 4 out of 10!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/670/670882p1.html

Here is another great racing game for the DS, the hits keep coming!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/673/673092p1.html

This is may be the greatest sports game of all time!!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/675/675678p1.html

Wow! I have to have this racing game:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/674/674618p1.html

Who could forget this sport classic:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/700/700355p1.html

Can't you fanboys ever just be fair? The DS can't handle sports games (as good as the PSP) and I have played Metroid and besides the control being terrible the game doesn't look as good as the PSP. Not even close! I know, I OWN both of them! I have to just read the reviews and not let myself get so fired up over these posts from narrow minded people. Question: When is the last good third party game for the DS????? I'm waiting...I thought so. Please don't say Tetris, it's a bit old ya know.

Boston

[/QUOTE]

You know what, you're right. I'm gonna throw out my DS and buy a PSP now.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 6th, 2006, 6:45 am

Hoooo brother. Here we go again. Hadda check out what was making this thread so long and here we go again with the old PSP Vs.
DS debate. I can understand wanting "your" console to "win" and all, but liking one does not mean you have to trash the other! They both have their good points/ bad points!

PSP: The most powerful handheld with GORGEOUS graphics. Started slow with mostly PS2 ports but it is getting more original games now. Still kinda pricey though, and not near as many A+ games as:

DS: Obviously it cannot compete with the PSP, it is like half the price and based on N64 technology! But the beauty of it is the TOUCH SCREEN which allows the most ORIGINAL, INNOVATIVE games on market, Console OR handheld. It just can't duplicate current gen console games like the PSP can. OK? Can't we all get along?

Conn

Postby Conn » May 6th, 2006, 2:06 pm

"I did pick up Phoenix Wright and that was ok but very overrated."

How can a game be overrated if it's practically a cult classic?

Boston

Postby Boston » May 6th, 2006, 7:05 pm

I personally thought Pheonix Wright was extremely boring and poorly done. It is my opinion. Sure, people loved it but that is b/c they have never seen text adventures before. I have and this one is low on the list. I found myself falling asleep while I was playing it. I would give it a C- at best. It may be a cult classic but nobody bought it so I doubt you'll see a sequal. The mechanics didn't work, the English was terrible and it was extremely linear (no replay value). Like I said, it's my opinion. If you liked that is fine but I am glad I rented it.

Boston

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 6th, 2006, 8:19 pm

" It may be a cult classic but nobody bought it so I doubt you'll see a sequal."

The game is a remake of an old GBA game which has two or three sequels out already.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 6th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Not to mention Phoenix Wright has been reprinted due to demand. Copies disappeared for several months and were going for high prices online. And Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 has already been announced and will be coming sometime this year.

So someone is certainly buying them.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 6th, 2006, 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]" It may be a cult classic but nobody bought it so I doubt you'll see a sequal."

The game is a remake of an old GBA game which has two or three sequels out already.[/QUOTE]
Here's a real good look at the whole series

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 20th, 2011, 1:36 am

I guess my crystal ball wasn't working 5 years ago.

I'm surprised how quick this name caught on. While I'm still not fond of the name they went with, I found that I quickly accepted the brand they were trying to create and I haven't even given it a second thought in several years.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 20th, 2011, 3:40 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]I guess my crystal ball wasn't working 5 years ago.

I'm surprised how quick this name caught on. While I'm still not fond of the name they went with, I found that I quickly accepted the brand they were trying to create and I haven't even given it a second thought in several years.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I DESPISED that name at the time.  Now I don't even think about it.

It's a bit sad really that Nintendo has managed to professionalize the term and thus make irrelevant my entire cache of jeuvenile jokes.

Return to “Modern Gaming”