Billy Hatcher for the GameCube?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 25th, 2010, 6:15 pm

While playing the new Sonic Racing I was admiring the quaint scenery in the Billy Hatcher stages.  I know the game was a GameCube exclusive from Sega, but otherwise I don't know anything about it.

What's it like?  Any good?

nicholas pozega

Postby nicholas pozega » April 25th, 2010, 7:46 pm

I haven't played it, but i heard its decent. By all means, give it a shot.

a1

Postby a1 » April 25th, 2010, 10:01 pm

I think it's just standard platforming fair. I rented it back when it came out but I don't have very vivid memories of it, so I doubt it's great. I'd like to see your take on it though because I was thinking of getting it.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 29th, 2010, 9:25 am

i didnt play the game, but i do know he is the current fist base coach for the cincinnati reds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Hatcher

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » May 6th, 2010, 4:04 pm

I just bought this game today. It is basically a platformer where you use an egg as your main weapon and to solve puzzles. You can roll the egg and crush enemies or body slam the egg to create a shockwave to take out multiple enemies. The egg will get bigger if you collect fruit and when it starts to glow, you can hatch it and an item or animal helper will hatch from the egg. There are also cameo appearances by Sega characters like NiGHTS and Sonic. It is a quirky game and I only paid $4.99 for it so it won't break the bank.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 6th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Ironically,it's a better platformer than most of Sonic's recent outings [esepcially on GameCube] considering SEGA really pushed Sonic in the Cube.

It's a got good controls and level design,but cuteness and simplicity might be too much.

Personally I liked the game better than Yoshi's Story or Sonic Advance but otherwise it's mostly just a slightly above average game that is a great one to play but not a tragic loss to not have.

ReiDemon

Postby ReiDemon » May 7th, 2010, 4:46 pm

I have it. It's a decent platformer, but it's not Super Mario quality. Still, it's rather inventive. The multiplayer is also rather entertaining and there's a good amount of unlockables. The main problem: if you think Yoshi on the N64 was childish, this game might be somewhat surprising.

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » May 7th, 2010, 7:01 pm

I've played through some more of the game and I can see some flaws. I'm stuck on a mission where you have to roll a golden egg on narrow passages with enemies and obstacles. Sometimes when I stop rolling the egg, I come to a screeching halt and the egg will fall off the narrow passage, thus ending the mission and losing a life. This mission alone is bringing the game down. The controls are good out in the open but are not precise when navigating in tight spots. The game is definitely different and there are many ways to use the eggs in the game but I'd say that the game could of used some more fine tuning. The boss fights are fun though.

Return to “Modern Gaming”