New Black Wii Model Bundle Coming To North America

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » April 28th, 2010, 2:49 pm

It's been rumored for a little while now, but it looks as though Nintendo are finally set to launch a new black model Wii model bundle in the U.S. and Canada in May. The best part is that it will be bundled with both Wii Sports games, Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, also the Motion Plus add-on will be included. The package will thankfully be listed as the same price as before - $199.

Up till now, the Black model has only been available in Japan, Europe and Australia. Why they waited so long is beyond me, they've already released black versions of the Wii-mote and Classic Controller? *shrug*

http://kotaku.com/5526433/black-wii-bundle-shows-up-in-gamestop-marketing

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2010, 6:36 pm

I thought the white one looked fine.  Where's the HD version?

steer

Postby steer » April 28th, 2010, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I thought the white one looked fine.  Where's the HD version? [/QUOTE]

Buy this for HD : http://kotaku.com/5505009/wii-upscaler-review-can-the-wii-really-do-high-definition

[I]LOVED

It...Sort Of Works - In some areas, you'll definitely notice a difference. Perhaps because the VD-W3 works via HDMI (or, if you're using a monitor, DVI), colours were richer and better defined, as you can see in the comparison shots below. In-game menu shots were also cleaner, with pop-outs and text much improved over their usual appearance.

HATED

It...Doesn't Work Too Well - The colours and menus are nice, but this is a $75 unit that's promising to display Wii graphics in HD resolution. And at this, it fails. As you can see below (I chose the SMG save screen because it had a great "jaggy" view around my noggin), jaggies are as pronounced as ever. Indeed, over the three games I extensively tested the device on, I only noticed a few areas where the actual in-game textures were improved.[/I]

The black Wii comes bundled with both Wii Sports for $200. Just your shot in the arm console revamp, kinda like the slim.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » April 28th, 2010, 11:10 pm

Upscaling what a crock of #$(*Y I remember seeing that "technology" on DVD's a while ago and thought don't people understand that you can't make something look HD if the source is not HD. DVD's for one don't play over 480p they are not designed for HD but I digress. The people that buy this garbage are the same people that come to me on a daily basis with a Web graphic and say I need this as a 300-600dpi image and a vector format (not realizing the two are different). Where are these pixels or in this case lines of resolution supposed to come from?

I wonder how many suckers are going to buy this thing and then go hey why is it fuzzy or blurry? Why does the color look funny? This isn't right and they are playing it on some gigantor HD TV that makes it look even worse.

I as much as all the Big N fans here want HD Nintendo but products like that just anger me being a bit of a tech nut.

**Steps off soap box**

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 28th, 2010, 11:11 pm

On second thought, isn't 480p really HD?  I know it's the minimum, but I think it qualifies.  Unscaling to 1080p might just make things look worse.

Josh

Postby Josh » April 28th, 2010, 11:42 pm

Well, since there are some techie nerds here, I have been wondering:

A while back the rumor spread about Nintendo launching a Wii HD. It's supposedly supposed to be a Wii with a HDMI port in the back.

Would that actually make a huge difference? Or would it simply enhance the jaggies? If such a trade-in program was announced by Nintendo at say, E3, would it be worth the money for an uprgrade?

I enjoy my Wii (who doesn't - ha!) but I also look forward to getting a HD Ninty. Maybe then I can play some HD Street Fighter. And man, the polish that Nintendo puts on games would be superb in HD.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 29th, 2010, 6:12 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]On second thought, isn't 480p really HD?  I know it's the minimum, but I think it qualifies.  Unscaling to 1080p might just make things look worse.[/QUOTE]

No, 720p is HD.  480p is ED (Enhanced Definition).

I think upscaling and anti-aliasing both work out very well actually, regardless of the source.  The PS3 employing both on either PS1 or PS2 games makes the games look FAR better on an HDTV.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 29th, 2010, 9:13 am

480p is good enough, producing games and systems in true HD only increases the cost

as for the black console, i would rather have a red one. 

seriously nintendo, red is your corporate color.  black was cool in 1988, now red is the edgy color.  what are you waiting for, release it now!

Return to “Modern Gaming”