Game manuals now becoming cheaper and lamer!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » June 9th, 2010, 5:09 pm

A recent trend in the gaming market that has begun to really disturb me is the continuation of poor quality game manuals, even among some big name games. I just purchased Batman: Arkham Asylum and the manual is not only short as hell, but it's not even in color! Battlefield Bad Company, Army of Two, Quantum of Solace, among many others are very cheap in design. And now with Ubi Soft saying that printed manuals will no longer be included with their games for the sake of the "environment," I've started to become a little nervous.

Granted, not all next-gen games these days reflect this, but it is trend that I feel would be akin to "gaming blasphemy" in the past. I don't know about all you but I always have expected a high quality, COLOR manual included with my purchase.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » June 9th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I don't think the lack of color is the problem with game manuals today (Sega Genesis games didn't have color in their manuals and they were fine).  I think it's the idea that the games are often made with a tutorial nowadays that negates the usefulness of the manual.  That's not a problem in and of itself, but I think that some of these companies don't realize that even with in-game instructions, a manual still serves quite a few purposes.

For example, sometimes games are complex enough (especially within certain genres, like strategy games and sports titles) that there are many different control aspects to remember, so it can be quicker to flip to the controls page in a manual for a quick and specific explanation of a specific command rather then going to a menu in-game.  In addition, a well thought out manual can provide players with specific help if they don't understand certain elements about the game that may not be laid out in-game as well as in the manual. 

Also, say you're either a child or someone who doesn't drive (or uses public transportation, such as a bus or subway).  Unless you only shop at online stores, you'll probably go and buy a game from a physical store every now and then.  Seeing as you have to go out anyway, a manual can be quickly looked at on the way home to get a quick overview on how to play so that, if you don't want to hit up the tutorial right away, you don't have to.

I think the rise of the tutorial (especially when you have games like Banjo & Kazooie that did it so well) may explain why some companies, like EA, Activision, and Ubi Soft are shying away from their manuals, at least from a gaming perspective (the environmental aspect, as spearheaded by Greenpeace, whose been slapping down Nintendo a lot recently over that, is another factor).  Personally, I think that the tutorial and manual can co-exist and go hand in hand in the way they assist players, so it seems counterproductive to put more time and effort into one over the other.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 9th, 2010, 8:59 pm

A good manual can be a selling point for a game.  I remember loving those glossy SNES game manuals with their vivid color.  When Sega switched over to the B&W manuals made with cheap paper, I thought it reflected poorly on them as a company.  The situation was even worse when they switched to cardboard boxes.

As for the environmental people, they are barking up the wrong tree.  Paper is a renewable, biodegradable resource.  It's the cheap, disposal computers and cell phones that hurt the environment.  You can dump them in a landfill but they aren't going anywhere.

Actually I doubt the environmentalists are telling companies like Ubisoft to stop printing manuals.  I think Ubisoft is using the environmentalists as an excuse to cut costs and screw the customer.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » June 9th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Yet, there's an advantage with having in game tutorials over a manual. In case you manage to lose the manual.....

MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » June 10th, 2010, 2:02 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Actually I doubt the environmentalists are telling companies like Ubisoft to stop printing manuals.  I think Ubisoft is using the environmentalists as an excuse to cut costs and screw the customer.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what they're doing! Along with making game packaging more and more flimsy (the 360 mainly) just make as much money as they can at the buyer's expense.

I guess I really don't care what the color is as long as the manuals are good and provide my money's worth. But I do feel that black and white manuals these days definitely seem to reflect their overall quality.

Hovering Sheep

Postby Hovering Sheep » June 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm

Nintendo manuals have been getting thicker lately, but not for the right reasons. It's because they're putting the instructions in three different languages into the same manual. I hate that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”