PS3 Retails for $500-600, Controller Copies Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:08 am

Ok so I just watched the conference.

Hmm, I can see why it might irritate some people.  They do act like they are innovating this stuff rather than being inspired by other companies.  I would have preferred it if they had said stuff like the Wii and XBox 360 inspired us to do this and this rather than pretending that we weren't all thinking the same thing.

I am also confused as to why they showed mulitformat titles like Sonic and Assassin's Creed on their showreel, as those are not indicative of what makes the system different.  Glad to see MGS had the usual pointless trailer again.

I agree Eight Days looks good and that draw distance is impressive.  But visually and technically there was nothing there that Gears of War doesn't do more impressively on the 360.

The PS3 is undoubtedly going to be a great machine but I didn't see anything to set it apart from the 360 there.  There was nothing demonstrating the kind of graphical quality and power that we have seen in GRAW.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 7:12 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The thing that makes the PS3 controller so much better than the Wii controller though is that:

1)It is in a single piece - no ripoff charging for add ons, no awkwardness because your hands aren't holding the same piece of the controller.

2)It offers the standard controls as well.  So decent FPS will still be possible on it with the dual sticks.

It's got the best of both worlds. 

[/QUOTE]
Uh-huh.  You were being funny right?  You know, pretending to be one of the Sony fanboys I joked about.  Right?  Because if you were serious, that would be just mindblowing.
Good joke Monkey; I honestly couldn't stop laughing.

XOX

Postby XOX » May 9th, 2006, 8:44 am

No it isn't sonymonkey.The controller is just what the GBA did.it can't offer the more advanced motions and actions the wii controller allows.

The thing will be barely used count on it.Two pieces are actually better when it comes to using it for gestures.The individual pieces are smaller making it less akward to move it in a 3D space.

Too me it seems like sony just though :"wii might have potentional lets tack on some hack montionsensor thingy."

It's a complete afterthought and it shows.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » May 9th, 2006, 12:42 pm

600 bucks, huh...

no thanks

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 9th, 2006, 3:06 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The thing that makes the PS3 controller so much better than the Wii controller though is that:

1)It is in a single piece - no ripoff charging for add ons, no awkwardness because your hands aren't holding the same piece of the controller.

2)It offers the standard controls as well.  So decent FPS will still be possible on it with the dual sticks.

It's got the best of both worlds. 

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more on the first part, one of the reasons the revolutions controller has so much potential is because it's modular.  The dual shock was never meant to be motion sensitive and I think it will honestly be forgotten in a few years.  Like sonys much hyped pressure sensitive ps2 buttons.  That or they will just out and out steal nintendos modular design too.  Any one want to bet the psp 2 will have a touch pad?

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:15 pm

I find it funny someone called me sonymonkey despite the fact I own a 360, have no intention of getting a PS3 and think the 360 is a superior console.

Jeff Gerstman said it worked excellent on Warhawk and they had only had 2-3 days dev time with it.  He said it played real well with it.

Boston

Postby Boston » May 9th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Did anybody see the Nintendo conference? I read a transcript and was unimpressed. It was all spin-offs except for Red Steel. I was wondering if they showed off the wiimote (that's what they were calling it, not me). Of course, I think tomorrow people at E-3 get to use the wiimote with some demos so I guess we'll get some feedback then.

I actually loved Sony's presentation (actually, the English guy needs help, I hate when people go "UMMMMMMMMM" throughout presentations) although the displays were impressive but not overly so. I love the fact that soon I will be able to download PS1 games to my PSP among other cool features. I think it will be cool to use it in conjunction with the PS3 such as a rear view mirror with some racing games. I also like the idea of the Sony online community.

It's still too early to tell. I could care less about the warhawk demo. I can't wait for November!!!!

Boston

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:33 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

Did anybody see the Nintendo conference? I read a transcript and was unimpressed. It was all spin-offs except for Red Steel.

Boston

[/QUOTE]
The showed footage from three entirely new franchises already (not counting Red Steel)?  How many new franchises do you need?

Boston

Postby Boston » May 9th, 2006, 4:46 pm

I said I read a transcript but didn't see the video. If you have a link that would be much appreciated. Also, what were the new franchises?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:52 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[/QUOTE]
Lets analyse this the way you do the Wii control topics shall we.
1) Imagine you are playing a baseball game using this controler.  Now, you swing the controller to swing the bat.  Now, tell me how the big brick with a Wii controller taped to it is somehow a natural thing to swing.  Also, if you hold it in a bat-like way, then you have to quickly readjust it in your hand when you want to run the bases.  Now, let's picture using it to aim like a gun.  I don't know about you, but once again, to me the brick is hardly the proper shape for something being aimed.  There are in fact only two things the Sony controller should feel natural for, controlling a plane and driving.  Now, if I remember correctly Nintendo already demoed a short piece where you controlled a paper airplane with the Wiimote, and it seemed like a pretty sensible fit.  As well, they announced a game today where you hold the wiimote sideways to steer, making the Sony contraption unlikely to be that much better even in that regard.  In real life, how many things do you hold like the Sony controller?  One of those Klingon sword things maybe, if you have one.  How many things are held similarly to the wiimote?  A bunch.  How is the two handed joystick grip superior to the freehand control?

It's odd that after our mutipost arguement over how the wiimote really didn't offer a good sword fighting control scheme you would go on to defend something that doesn't control like anything.

Return to “Modern Gaming”