All hail the Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Funkmaster V

All hail the Wii

Postby Funkmaster V » May 11th, 2006, 12:16 am

Well boys, Nintendo is gonna kick some major tail this go around. There are so many cool games for this thing announced it kind of makes me upset since I wanted to cool it on video games for awhile.

Watch the trailer for Red Steel, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Legend of Zelda at Gamespot. If the new gameplay capabilities don't tweak your dork switch, then something must be wrong with ya.

It looks like they have some great third party support this time around. Let's hope it lasts.

FUNK

bluemonkey1

All hail the Wii

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 11th, 2006, 3:56 am

Nothing wrong with me and it doesn't do anything for me.  I never liked Smash Brothers, I will play Zelda on GC and Red Steel has been getting some pretty negative press.  Like I predicted the sword fighting was very limited, nothing that hasn't been done on normal controllers.  They really don't have many interesting games on show at all to be honest with you.  I am a big Nintendo fan but see no real reason to pick up this machine.  It's got nothing I need.

Anayo1

All hail the Wii

Postby Anayo1 » May 11th, 2006, 2:16 pm

I have one thing to say, and one thing only:

I am [i]so[/i] buying a Wii when it comes out.

Leo Ames

All hail the Wii

Postby Leo Ames » May 11th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Must be something wrong with me too. I watched all the videos posted of it in action, most games either looked like they were controlled poorly, or it didn't add anything to the game at all.

I'll be getting it for the Virtual Console and non wand games.

sega saturn x

All hail the Wii

Postby sega saturn x » May 11th, 2006, 3:44 pm

If you ask me I think it's funny as all get out that so many people went from "nintendo is doomed" to "best new system" without skipping a beat.

J.M. Vargas

All hail the Wii

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 11th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Amazing what 27 playable Wii games and a kick-ass E3 press conference can do, especially when Sony shot itself in the proverbial foot with that disastrous E3 press conference last Tuesday.  I'm telling you again to try to download and see that E3 Sony conference if you can because, if Microsoft and Nintendo end up doing an unexpected turn-around in the videogame wars, that Tuesday night in May will be remembered as the day Sony lost the next-generation upper-hand. 

Atarifever1

All hail the Wii

Postby Atarifever1 » May 11th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Okay, I just typed this a second ago and it vanished so hopefully I'm not sending this twice.

The funny thing for me about the Wii is that I can't picture me and my fiancee not getting enough use out of it fo it to be worth the rumoured price.  Here's all it has to do to keep us entirely happy with the purchase:

1) New Animal Crossing with the new "leave your town open online" feature.
2) 2 new Mario Parties (one for when they're just getting used to making the mini games focus on the Wiimote and 1 once they really get the hang of it).
3) New Bongo/Drum game.  Be it using the Wiimote as sticks, as a base to plug in some bongos, or using the old Bongos in the GC slot, this can't fail for us.
4) At least one or two games that keep our interest even half as long as Yoshi Touch and Go.

That's it.  Game. Set. Match.  If anyone doubts that they need to know that there are times when me and her live as much in Animal Crossing as on earth, and that both of us have hit the Bongos until we couldn't feel our arms.  Just Mario Party, Bongos, Touch and Go, and Animal Crossing have filled more gaming hours for me and her this year than I care to admit. Yep, that's all sequel stuff and I'm not a sequel fan in general.  However, I'm sure that, say, Mario Party will play very differently with the Wii (it's a game that's made for it).  As well, a perfected online experience in Animal Crossing is almost a big enough thing to be a new game.  Think about it.  If all 20-30 people on my friends list also leave their towns up when they're gone out, and animals move from those towns to mine, then on to other towns, bringing items, player made designs, and player written letters along with them and trading stuff between towns all the time, while letters arrive from people, and animals, in the other towns, you've basically got a hugh sprawling city.  Add in the fact that the animals also move to people you've never met on your friends' friends lists (taking stuff you made with them) and it's almost becoming an MMORPG type environment.  That might not excite you non-animal crossing fans, but to me that's a dream game.
As for wanting a sequel to the Bongo games, well, you can't lame me for being a sucker fo the Bongos can you?

sega saturn x

All hail the Wii

Postby sega saturn x » May 11th, 2006, 7:42 pm

If they relelase a light saber game I will never see the light of day ever again.

voorhiessa

All hail the Wii

Postby voorhiessa » May 12th, 2006, 8:59 am

awesome that the wii will always be 'online', even when off.  Lets you download updates (animail crossing, etc.) without having to sit through that ordeal. 

If the sports games are what they say, that means I'm gonna have to clear out a lot of space in my bedroom and maybe pad the walls a la diving saves.

bluemonkey1

All hail the Wii

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 12th, 2006, 9:59 am

That's not really any different to the way the XBox is.  Except that the machine runs in standby all the time using up power and adding to your electricity bill.

Return to “Modern Gaming”