All hail the Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

All hail the Wii

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 13th, 2006, 3:05 pm

I will be the first to say that I was initially very excited about the Wii/revolution, but at this point I am concerned that 3rd party developers won't be able to harness the remote like Nintendo.  Red Steel is getting pretty crappy press though it still has a few months to get things worked out and I won't write it off yet.  Also making a FPS shooter that has no violence sort of defeats the point.  I don't need games to be violent, but FPS is one genre that really should just keep the blood intact.  Seriously, who wants to excute a headshot if the enemy just falls down?  I want that suckers head to pop!  I will be very surprised if people pick-up Red Steel on launch day instead of the other titles.

Personally I just feel like the 1st party games are going to be very solid and that everything else is going to be very hit or miss.  I hope that I'm wrong, but this is just my gut feeling.  Also I think it is very early to claim whether or not a system will be great.  Sony may have stumbled out of the gate, but they could wind up blowing away everyone else...who knows.  Overall I think Nintendo has taken a step in the right direction with the Wii, but they really need some rock solid support or the system is doomed.

playgeneration

All hail the Wii

Postby playgeneration » May 13th, 2006, 3:33 pm

one 3rd party game thats looking really good is sonic wild fire. Its taking sonic back to basics, something the series badly needs, it has only sonic as a playable character, and nothing but pure fast paced platforming levels.

It looks a whole lot better than the new sonic for ps3 and 360, which may aswell be called sonic adventure 3. I watched a 30 minute video of it today that has really put me off. The game has adventure segments between levels set in towns where you have to talk to other characters . The silver hedgehog character moves really slowly, theres vehicles and weapons to use, yep all the stuff nobody liked from the last 5 sonic games is staying .

Johnson73

All hail the Wii

Postby Johnson73 » May 13th, 2006, 4:18 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Don't forget Metroid Prime is a first person action game not an FPS.[/QUOTE]

That's why I simply referred to it as a "first-person game."  I can get pretty irritated when people refer to the Metroid Primes as FPS's instead of action-adventures.  At any rate, the control system that it uses is probably going to be very close to the control system that every other FPS on the system uses.  What will make MP3 different is the exploration and non-linear progression.

Koopa W.

All hail the Wii

Postby Koopa W. » May 13th, 2006, 5:10 pm

[QUOTE=Anayo]I have one thing to say, and one thing only:

I am [i]so[/i] buying a Wii when it comes out.
[/QUOTE]

Me too, man! Red Steel, Wii Sports, and SSBB say it all for me!

Matt

Zenzerotron

All hail the Wii

Postby Zenzerotron » May 13th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Speaking of Sega making Genesis classics for next-gen systems, there's going to be a new GOLDEN AXE for PS3 and Xbox360. I have this terrible feeling it'll be queitly cancelled like that fps-style Vectorman game, but I can only hope.

I've flip-flopped on the Wii/Revolution topic very badly. The more I learn about it, the more I want to get one. Considering the PS3 is going to be totally out of my budget, I think the prospect of buying a WII looks very reasonable for me.

sega saturn x

All hail the Wii

Postby sega saturn x » May 13th, 2006, 11:47 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Speaking of Sega making Genesis classics for next-gen systems, there's going to be a new GOLDEN AXE for PS3 and Xbox360. I have this terrible feeling it'll be queitly cancelled like that fps-style Vectorman game, but I can only hope.

I've flip-flopped on the Wii/Revolution topic very badly. The more I learn about it, the more I want to get one. Considering the PS3 is going to be totally out of my budget, I think the prospect of buying a WII looks very reasonable for me.

[/QUOTE]

When was vector man turnred into a fps!  Damnn, I always thought they were making a lousy platformer, now I'm actually glad they cancelled it.  Hey, while I'm on the subject whatever happened to that altered beat game that was supposedly being made?  I saw sceens of it years ago.

Paul Campbell

All hail the Wii

Postby Paul Campbell » May 14th, 2006, 2:56 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Speaking of Sega making Genesis classics for next-gen systems, there's going to be a new GOLDEN AXE for PS3 and Xbox360. I have this terrible feeling it'll be queitly cancelled like that fps-style Vectorman game, but I can only hope.

[/QUOTE]

We may have our tiffs Zen, but you are a better man than me.  It would take me alot longer to admit what you just did, especially after preaching against it for so long.  Kudos.  I will admit, though, that I had some repressed worries about the Wii until all this new press came out and it looked so promising.   Yes, even me.  Mr. Nintendo fanboy himself.

bluemonkey1

All hail the Wii

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 14th, 2006, 6:48 am

Well having seen the machine, seen the games running, seen the titles available it pretty much all looks like I expected so I am still pretty against the machine.  The Metroid Prime games control completely differently to FPS because they require very little accuracy.  The so called sword fighting was controlled by the 3D stick rather than the unique controller.  It's just turning into a collection of watered down games.

As for the comment about Sonic I personally think the new one on PS3 and 360 is going to shape up pretty nicely.  The Sonic Adventure games were my favourite Sonic games and a bit of return to that form should be good.

Anyways one point I would like to point out is that people keep going on about how this controller will encourage new people to play.  So I was explaining it to my parents (admittedly my Mum does play PC games, and my Dad used to play a lot of Soul Calibur, Mario Kart 64 and Sega Rally 2) and both of them were pretty turned off by the idea of the controller.  My girlfriend has a bit of trouble with the 3D sticks on modern home system controllers and is more at home with the d-pad, she was turned off by the controller.  I am wondering who all these non video game players are who are supposed to love this controller.

Boston

All hail the Wii

Postby Boston » May 14th, 2006, 7:49 am

Check this out...here is some excerpts from people who have used the Wii controller...not exactly glaring reviews....but.....

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6151046/p-2.html

Boston

JustLikeHeaven1

All hail the Wii

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 14th, 2006, 12:01 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

My girlfriend has a bit of trouble with the 3D sticks on modern home system controllers and is more at home with the d-pad, she was turned off by the controller.  I am wondering who all these non video game players are who are supposed to love this controller.

[/QUOTE]

I think its all who you ask.  Plus its all how you describe the controller to someone.  If you talk about it in a negative way while explaining it, people will be turned off by it.  If you have a lot of excitement in your voice while explaining people will probably be eager to try it out.  Anyone that I have told this to thinks its a brilliant idea.  Nintendo wants the whole family to be able to play a videogame, not just the two teenage boys in the house.

My girlfriend (pretty much a non-gamer) watched some of the videos of the Wii and she couldn't wait to ask me when it was coming out.  She likes things that incorporate lots of people and could be fun in a party-like environment (think karaoke revolution or DDR Max).  My dad had read about the machine and asked me how it worked.  I asked him if he remembered when he used to move the controller to jump in Super Mario Bros (many people did this) and he replied yea...I told him this controller could actually sense your movement and move your character on screen.  He laughed and replied, "its about time".

I think the target audience is there, Nintendo just has to market it correctly.

Return to “Modern Gaming”