Radiant Silvergun FINALLY Coming To XBLA in HD!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » September 16th, 2010, 2:17 am

Finally, after years of waiting and hoping.. one of the most highly-rated and sought after Sega Saturn games in history is coming exclusively to Xbox Live Arcade in glorious High Definition, next Spring!

http://kotaku.com/5639325/radiant-silvergun-coming-to-xbox-360/gallery/

Yes sir, 2011 is looking like it might be a great year in gaming.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » September 16th, 2010, 5:38 am

Indeed, I will get this - lets see if it lives up to its huge cult status. Did the original have sprites? Not sure on the polygon look on the new game.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » September 16th, 2010, 6:17 am

This means either one of two things:

1. Radiant Silvergun prices on the Saturn will drop dramatically
or
2. I will end up with an Xbox 360 in the near future

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 16th, 2010, 10:20 pm

[QUOTE=Julio III]Indeed, I will get this - lets see if it lives up to its huge cult status. Did the original have sprites? Not sure on the polygon look on the new game.
[/QUOTE]

It used polygons on the Saturn.

I've watched many a YouTube video of this game in action and don't see what makes this so special beyond being a decent game that wasn't released here.

Hoping the XBLA port will clue me in on why this is more then just a decent game. Just from videos, I'm inclined to consider it rather overrated and not deserving of all the high praise it has seen.

Hoping to be proved wrong when I finally get a chance to play it.

J_B_Philouza

Postby J_B_Philouza » September 18th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Dang!  I got a copy of Radiant Silvergun about six months ago for a heafty chunk of change.  The prices will probably drop now.

How much you enjoy Radiant Silvergun depends on how deep you want to get into the strategy elements of the game.  Learning when to use which of your seven weapons is a long but rewarding process.  Getting good at this game takes some serious WORK!

Radiant Silvergun has incredible visual presentation, impeccable level design, and immense replay value.  Its heavy emphasis on strategy and memorization will turn some people off, and will be exactly what others are looking for.  Personally,  I love Radiant Silvergun, but I get a better adrenaline rush playing Mars Matrix.

andrew

Postby andrew » September 18th, 2010, 4:34 pm

[QUOTE=J_B_Philouza]Dang!  I got a copy of Radiant Silvergun about six months ago for a heafty chunk of change.  The prices will probably drop now.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. That would be like roms causing price drops on carts for older systems. It just doesn't happen. At the end of the day, people will stay pay the higher price to own a physical copy to play on original hardware.

Take One Unit: Whole Blood, a pc game and its expansions that uses the build engine from Duke Nukem 3D. Boxed copies still sell for $50 despite the fact the game has been available for download drm-free for $5.99 for quite some time now.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » September 20th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I had always read good things about Radiant Silvergun, so about half a year ago I decided to go ahead and buy a copy off E-bay.

Does it meet the hype?  I thought so.  You begin the game with ALL of the weapons, and they get stronger the more time you put into the game.  The music is spectacular and the boss battles are fun.  Occasionally there's some annoying anime cut scenes, but you can skip those.  It's a game I'm going to keep as long as long as I'm alive.

The value of the Saturn version is going to come down a lot, so it kind've sucks that I just bought it.  Of course, I don't always know what games are going to be rereleased in the future, so I'm not going to stop enjoying my hobby out of fear of "loss of value."

Luke

Postby Luke » September 8th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Just so everyone knows, Radiant Silvergun HD will be released next Wednesday, September 14th on XBLA for 1200 msp ($15).

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » September 8th, 2011, 6:11 pm

I'm assuming this will be the Saturn version with the extra cutscenes instead of the original arcade version without them?

a1

Postby a1 » September 8th, 2011, 6:34 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]

[QUOTE=J_B_Philouza]Dang!  I got a copy of Radiant Silvergun about six months ago for a heafty chunk of change.  The prices will probably drop now.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. That would be like roms causing price drops on carts for older systems. It just doesn't happen. At the end of the day, people will stay pay the higher price to own a physical copy to play on original hardware.

[/QUOTE]

Well, when Marvel v Capcom 2 was announced on xbox live the price dropped greatly on the dreamcast version. Maybe for a Saturn game it wouldn't matter though, as only real collectors generally own saturns.

Return to “Modern Gaming”