Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Fingers dripping ink

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Fingers dripping ink » April 16th, 2011, 4:06 pm

[QUOTE=steer]

So YOU  believe in 'journalistic integrity' - say these are confimred true rumors and yet you say the HAVE to be wrong at the same time or its market suicide??? 

Look, 3DS was annouced a year ago and HAS LAUNCHED and most ppl do not yet know it exists - the interent market does not equal the consumer market. This just in - the DS and DS software are STILL SELLING - look at Pokemon! DS was top selling console of ALL last month - AGAIN!

Revealing the Wii 2 'early' will not hamper Wii business or Skyward Sword sales in the slightest - you drop price to bring in more buyers for the Wii and it MASSIVE exisiting game library - the Wii is SET - this is about the FUTURE now and it makes perfect sense The Wii will be 5 years old - EVERYONE and their nintendog +cats knows it is going to be eventually replace by a successor console! Is this really a shock? The shock is seeing the new controller!

I believe they WILL reveal a new console, I just do not trust IGN yellow journalism to 'confirm' supposed system features and VAGUE controller details....

And yes, IGN is just repeating stories so they can have their share of page hits! Its a no brainer!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Steer. I believe in having a source and then reporting on it. I also think it's fair to write a story and link whatever place you got your information from. It's called reference.

However, certain people in the industry - in every walk of life, actually - will leak information and they can't identify themselves. There are ways to verify them and there positions. This happens all the time in the real world, with what's known as "journalism."

What you believe and I believe are two very different things. In the end, however, saying that Nintendo is going to show the new system because the Kinect and Move are outdated is too simple. Consider this comment, as all the news has suggested the Wii II will be using the Wii-motes as well.

I believe when Nintendo succeeds we, as gamers, succeed. To announce the new console - and possibly release it this year - will damage sales of systems and as a result software. It would be a very poor business decision, and as Leo pointed out, poor business decisions haven't been part of Nintendo's past plan for success.

Finally, don't use the term "yellow journalism" without knowing what it employs. Wiki it if you need to.

Lögan Ruckman™

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Lögan Ruckman™ » April 16th, 2011, 4:07 pm

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]
let me get this straight: IGN can't be trusted and will fabricate a story for hits? That's a tall order, considering IGN generates millions of hits with legitimate stories every month.[/QUOTE]

Even if Steer is exaggerating, I still say IGN sucks. Dave deserves those hits, not IGN.

steer

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby steer » April 16th, 2011, 7:25 pm

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]
Finally, don't use the term "yellow journalism" without knowing what it employs. Wiki it if you need to.
[/QUOTE]

Yellow journalism or the yellow press is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension "Yellow Journalism" is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.

You cannot spell IGN without yellow journalism!

funky_muzic1

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby funky_muzic1 » April 16th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Hey guys. It's been a while...but enough catching up.
I love speculating on new consoles. It's almost as fun as actually playing them when they first come out.
I believe the "Wii 2" will be revealed at this year's E3 for a fall 2012 release. However, by revealed I mean they will mention it and maybe even show the logo...for the project name. Nintendo will keep things very tight lipped and if you're hoping for much info at E3 you will be disappointed.
Now if the initial rumors about the controller are true, then the system will cost more in the $350 - $400 range. So with the large screen on the controller, how about the possibility of a camera (or 2 on the controller)? And with the camera, could the controller and screen be used for AR type games? With the AR games on the 3DS and Miyamoto's "quest" to turn the entire living room into the video game, I see AR as a definite possibility. Any thoughts?

Fingers dripping ink

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Fingers dripping ink » April 17th, 2011, 3:59 am

First off, does Dave deserve more hits? Duh.

And IGN ain't the greatest, but I will defend them.

[QUOTE=steer][QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]
[/QUOTE]

Yellow journalism or the yellow press is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension "Yellow Journalism" is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion.

You cannot spell IGN without yellow journalism!

[/QUOTE]

You can't, huh?

You forgot about the last part of the definition, chum:
"By extension 'Yellow Journalism' is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion."

My point was, and is, it's not.

Furthermore:

Campbell (2001) defines Yellow Press newspapers as having daily multi-column front-page headlines covering a variety of topics, such as sports and scandal, using bold layouts (with large illustrations and perhaps color), heavy reliance on unnamed sources, and unabashed self-promotion. The term was extensively used to describe certain major New York City newspapers about 1900 as they battled for circulation.

Frank Luther Mott (1941) defines yellow journalism in terms of five characteristics:[1]

1. scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
  2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
  3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudo-science, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
  4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips (which is now normal in the U.S.)
  5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.
See what you get when you do more than skim? Extrapolation.

Seriously, the only thing you pointed out from my previous post was the yellow journalism thing. So, by your actions, you admit I'm right. And if your read that last post...well, you''ll see what I'm getting at.

If you have anything to add, please take the time and read my posts first. Then do me a solid and play some Saturn.

Snesfreak

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Snesfreak » April 17th, 2011, 4:57 am

Well, looking at it now, you could see why this wii 2 could be the real thing.
The original wii is looking horribly dated at the moment and very few games are being released for it as others have said. Looks like its in its twilight years now and needs a HD non motion controlled console successor!

steer

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby steer » April 21st, 2011, 11:20 pm

Lets break down the IGN rumor mongering - this should be educational :

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

Paragraph 2
According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could launch in November. have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early

Paragraph 3
However, Nintendo could also opt to build up a sizable supply of the system and allocate more time for software and games development by launching in early 2012. Similarly, Nintendo could attempt to lower the retail price of the system with lower profit margins to make the price more alluring.

So we go from 'could' to 'however' in successive paragraphs. Their launch window now goes from next fall to the fall after that. Their price range is now $250 to $400. Guys - you do not need a 'source' to write this crap. Give me a break.

Then they go on to re-report the original rumours they did not discover in the first place :

As reported last week, it will indeed utilize controllers with integrated touchscreens and be capable of streaming games to each controller, though given the power of the system, could also feasibly provide a virtualized console for each individual unit.

Oh and the code name? Well it might be one of these, or we might just be making them up ourselves :

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.

We contacted Nintendo representatives, but they declined to comment on "rumors or speculation."

Yeah, just yeah. I think I make my point quite well.....

David

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby David » April 22nd, 2011, 12:21 am

Steer, I'm not going to argue with you since you make a habit of producing "controversies" out of thin air and then ignore people's rebuttals when they back you into a corner.  However, there are some inaccuracies (like usual) in your post:

Their launch window now goes from next fall to the fall after that. Their price range is now $250 to $400.

The launch window they gave was from this fall at the soonest to early 2012.  That's about five or six months.  And the price range was 350-400 dollars. 

Then they go on to re-report the original rumours they did not discover in the first place :

They never stated that they broke the story.  Not sure why you felt the need to point that out.

Roperious1

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Roperious1 » April 25th, 2011, 6:14 am

So it looks like IGN was onto something! 

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

What are your thoughts?

Oltobaz1

Rejoice Nintendo Fans!

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 25th, 2011, 7:55 am

More powerful than the PS3 and 360, backwards compatible with the Wii (possibly with the Gamecube too, maybe?) tantalizing new sort of controller...
It all sounds very promising, although it's really way too soon to really speculate
on things. Can't wait to read about E3 this year...

Return to “Modern Gaming”