What The Heck? *Online Gaming Related*

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » May 13th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Ok, I think you can add me to the Xbox Live/online gaming hate.

I just saw this posted on Kotaku today...

Deathsmiles 2X is going to be coming to the U.S. on Xbox 360. But it's only going to be available via their "Games On Demand" service. So downloadable only. The price will be $29.99!? AND you cannot use XBLA Microsoft Points for it. YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR CREDIT CARD!!??

Wow. Not only do I think that price is ABSURD for a downloadable title. But I think making it "credit card only" is just plain DUMB, not to mention highly questionable! Especially after this whole PSN scandal that Sony is facing right now with credit information possibly being stolen and all that.

By the way, this will be the ONLY non-disc game that will available on Games On Demand. Typically, Games on Demand has only featured games that were previously available on disc.

Also, the game will not be translated to English. So the whole game will still be in Japanese.

WHAT IS MICROSOFT THINKING??

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 13th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I'm not against a downloadable release for this game. With it being something that only appeals to a very small niche, it makes it possible for it to have a domestic release that would've otherwise never happened. That's a good thing. I'm sure they'd love for it to be popular enough where they could do a full fledged retail release and translation. But it simply isn't.

And the thing about not being able to use Microsoft Points is misinformation that was quickly spread around the internet due to a poor choice of words from Cave in an interview. Games on Demand titles default to a credit card payment option, but you have the option to switch it to Microsoft Points and Microsoft has confirmed you can use points to buy it like any other Xbox 360 DLC.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » May 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Luke, If you're still on board the Xbox Live/online gaming hate even after Leo's post then..... Welcome aboard. I'll be here regardless of this one issue.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 13th, 2011, 4:59 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]I'm not against a downloadable release for this game. With it being something that only appeals to a very small niche, it makes it possible for it to have a domestic release that would've otherwise never happened. That's a good thing. I'm sure they'd love for it to be popular enough where they could do a full fledged retail release and translation. But it simply isn't. [/QUOTE]But they released the first game here in America as a Limited Edition disc for $60 and it did pretty well. And they have since dropped the price down to... wait for it... $30 at Gamestop!

$30 for a downloadable sequel title that isn't translated into English? Think I'll pass regardless of how it's paid for - Microsoft points or credit card.

And imagine most of the people who are really into the game or Cave shooters already own the Japanese import of this game, even though it was region locked.

I dunno. I didn't really care for the first game anyway. But I still the price and manner it's being released is a joke

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 13th, 2011, 8:05 pm

I don't believe they ever released any sales figures. Clearly the performance of DeathSmiles over here was less than ideal since I'm sure they'd love to also sell the sequel for $60 if it would sell enough copies to justify the investment of having a manufacturer tool up to do their minimum run of discs and if they could get retailers to stock it.

They're not halving the MSRP and releasing it as a download just to annoy people. I'm sure there's a sound business decision behind it that warranted going this route over a full fledged retail release. And I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if the sales figures of the original basically forced their hand with their options being a downloadable release or nothing.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » May 14th, 2011, 9:30 am

I guess it's better than nothing but I agree with Luke, $30 is too much. I bought the first Deathsmiles on Amazon for $25 new.  There's no way I'd pay that much for an extended rental for the 2X.

Here's something I've been thinking about...
Sometimes I wished Xbox live arcade operated like a real arcade... charge me a quarter for each credit I play on the games available.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 18th, 2011, 5:21 pm

This is Cave's doing not Microsoft's.

If they were forced to do a retail release you probably wouldn't get a release at all so you should be grateful.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 19th, 2011, 1:53 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]This is Cave's doing not Microsoft's. If they were forced to do a retail release you probably wouldn't get a release at all so you should be grateful. [/QUOTE]$30 is robbery no matter how you look at it. Ikaruga only costs 800 Microsoft Points ($10) on XBLA and that's arguably one of the best shooters ever! And when Radiant Silvergun HD comes out that probably won't cost more than 1200 Microsoft Points ($15) either, I bet.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 19th, 2011, 2:29 am

And both of those are games that were developed years ago and both are also far better known names that have far more sales potential to cover things like development cost, a very expensive ESRB review fee, etc.

Deathsmiles 2X is a brand new sequel and is most certainly just going to sell a fraction of what those two would on XBLA. So not only is the cost going to be greater for this project, but it's also going be spread across far fewer customers than the other two projects.

So while I fully understand why you or anyone else wouldn't be happy with this situation, I have to say that it doesn't really surprise me to see a $30 price.

Furthermore, there's always the chance that it's just because of the MSRP of the Japanese disc release. I believe matching the MSRP of a retail release is how they price the Games on Demand service, so it's logical that they'd want to make it equivalent to the Japanese price or what a domestic release possibly would've been priced at (The MSRP in Japan appears to be just a bit over $30 at this time).

Luke

Postby Luke » May 19th, 2011, 3:00 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]And both of those are games that were developed years ago and both are also far better known names that have far more sales potential to cover things like development cost, a very expensive ESRB review fee, etc. Deathsmiles 2X is a brand new sequel and is most certainly just going to sell a fraction of what those two would on XBLA. So not only is the cost going to be greater for this project, but it's also going be spread across far fewer customers than the other two projects. So while I fully understand why you or anyone else wouldn't happy with this situation, I have to say that it doesn't really surprise me to see a $30 price.
Furthermore, there's always the chance that it's just because of the MSRP of the Japanese disc release. I believe matching the MSRP of a retail release is how they price the Games on Demand service, so it's logical that they'd want to make it equivalent to the Japanese price or what a domestic release possibly would've been priced at (The MSRP in Japan appears to be just a bit over $30 at this time). [/QUOTE]
For $30, I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred people download this game. But for $15, I bet they could easily have at least a few thousand people download the game just due to curiosity alone.

So if you do the math...
$30 x 300 = $9,000
$15 x 3000 - $45,000

Quite a difference there, don't you think?

The real problem with a game like this, in a niche genre like Jap shmups, is that a great majority of the people who really want this game probably already have the Jap retail disc already. Yes, the game is region-locked. But I know a lot of dudes out there who are hardcore into shmups have Japanese Saturns, Dreamcasts, PS2's, 360's, you name it... And if they don't, then they usually at least have a modded US model that can play backups or something.

Return to “Modern Gaming”