What The Heck? *Online Gaming Related*

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 30th, 2011, 9:43 am

[QUOTE=Luke]It was a very limited release, Leo. A rumoured 30,000 copies I once heard. So their projections were never that high in the first place.

But I bought it, the Critic bought it, I think some other readers on this site bought it, at least 17 people with reviews on Amazon bought it, TONS of people on other message boards in the US & the UK that I've been on bought it... trust me, it did "pretty well."

There are a lot of collectors out there, ya know.
[/QUOTE]

You've got to be kidding me that you base the statement that "the game did pretty well" on this.  I've already told you the game flopped poorly in the UK, to which you claimed that UK stats are irrelevant.  And now not only are you claiming the stats are relevant but that it was a success because some people on a message board bought it, wow.

People have to get paid, you don't think something is worth it fine.  But people have mortgages and mouths to feed.  You are getting the option to buy a full retail quality game for a fraction of what it would normally cost to import and for a lot less than it would cost if it got a disc release.  If that's a problem for you then just don't buy it.  Don't keep whinging about it.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 30th, 2011, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]
People have to get paid, you don't think something is worth it fine.  But people have mortgages and mouths to feed.  You are getting the option to buy a full retail quality game for a fraction of what it would normally cost to import and for a lot less than it would cost if it got a disc release.  If that's a problem for you then just don't buy it.  Don't keep whinging about it.

[/QUOTE]Ok now you're just being ridiculous. You think all the people at Cave are sitting around depending on the success of Deathsmiles 2 in America in order to eat and sleep? 

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about or how the industry works.

And once again, I can guarantee you that few people will be downloading the game for this price for all the reasons I stated before. So if everyone at Cave were actually depending on this download option to succeed, then they may as well start packing their things now. Because it isn't going to happen. Especially not with this pay method.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » May 30th, 2011, 9:11 pm

5$, 10$, 15$, $30, $45, $60, does it matter? As long as people buy downloads the price will just continue to go up. When there are no physical discs to buy it won't be a big deal paying $60 for a download.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 30th, 2011, 9:52 pm

No offense Luke, but you need to stop making all these assumptions and guesses here.  There is surely a solid basis behind why they did this which you seem to keep wanting to insist there isn't. They're a business and most certainly know more about this industry and their own specific situation than you or I do.

Just going off your unscientific survey of it's success, there would essentially have never been a game that has ever performed poorly from a sales standpoint. Even the most unsuccessful game that ever got any sort of retail release (We're not talking about things like Air Raid here) is going to have plenty of people online that own it, have mentioned it before, have reviewed it on Amazon if they stocked it, etc. In other words, your statement is all but useless when it comes to forming any sort of a guess on how the original performed at retail.

And they're not giving up $30 for each copy of the game for no reason at all. If the original did so well $60 like you seem to keep claiming despite no sales figures to support it, what's your rationale for them slashing the MSRP in half if all these people were lining up at their door to buy it at $60? What sort of idiots do you think they are? And what's your rationale for why they released it as a download if no one is going to buy it?

The evidence from the way this was released (Through a digital distribution channel for retail releases and untranslated) is that the original didn't do well or they'd of followed through with the sequel. Clearly, they think this distrbution method is the best way to go for this game and perhaps the only way if the numbers for the original just pointed towards there being no way to turn a profit. And perhaps the original did sell well from their point of view. But it's quite possible that the sales performance of the original wasn't impressive for the retailers. Nothing kills off a small niche release from a small publisher quicker than disinterest from retailers. They would need at least one or two big retailers willing to stock their game at release to bring it out. If they didn't, the game isn't happening.

Just use your head and think about this logically for a moment. If they thought there was any sort of a chance that this was going to sell well as a retail release at $60, then we'd have a retail release for $60. Since we didn't, clearly the performance of the original left them less than optimistic about the chances of the sequel. And since they're doing a download release, clearly, they think it has a chance.

They're not paying a very expensive ESRB review and fees to Microsoft if they believe no one is going to be buying this as a $30 download.

Return to “Modern Gaming”