Wii Loses Another Exclusive: Goldeneye 007 Headed To PS3 & 360

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 21st, 2011, 11:09 am

I'm all for these games going to other platforms...it gives them the chance to reach a wider audience.  Since the PS3 has motion controls, they can be ported, spruce up the graphics and tweak the gameplay.  Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

As for Madworld I disagree with The Critic on this one.  I think it was a respectable 3D brawler and I enjoyed it greatly.  It had a risky, polarizing art style and crazy amounts of violence...things that keep away the average Wii owner.  However, I loved it's Running Man meets Escape from New York crazy swagger and couldn't have been more happy with it.  Plus I picked it up brand new for around $10....certainly worth that.

I'm pretty psyched for Anarchy Reigns too...the brawler genre is one that I hold near and dear to my heart and I would love to see that genre make a comeback.  Though I'm willing to bet that the game ends up getting average reviews and critics slam it for being shallow and too short...

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 21st, 2011, 11:17 am

I might want to check Madworld out, some of these days..
Fist of the North Star violence with Frank Millerish
atmosphere? I'm in.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 21st, 2011, 5:38 pm

[QUOTE=Michael Prymula]

The only reason Madworld didn't do so well is because the Wii isn't known for "hardcore" games like that, so it alienated alot of Nintendo's traditional fanbase, same reason why platformers don't sell that well on the 360.

[/QUOTE]

Really? TR Underworld topped 1.5 million on next gen systems plus many of the best selling XBLA titles are platformers.  Where ae you pulling this one from?  I'm no too interested in this one myself and would much rather see a remake by Rare.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » July 21st, 2011, 8:19 pm

I loved MadWorld's visuals.  It's like Japanese gekiga mixed with American pulp graphic novels of the Frank Miller variety.  If you've ever read '70s manga like Ode to Kirihito or Abandon the Old in Tokyo, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.  It's not often that you see a game with such a clever and unique visual style. 

And platformers tend to be much more popular as downloadable games on Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox Live Indies.  It's a shame there aren't more platformers released as major games on the 360 or PS3.

a1

Postby a1 » July 22nd, 2011, 12:44 am

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]MadWorld would most likely sell better on the Xbox 360 and PS3.  I mean, it DID get good reviews, after all.

In fact, Sega already has a sequel planned exclusively for the PS3 and 360, called Anarchy Reigns.

[/QUOTE]

That's not a sequel to MadWorld, just a strange 3d fighter that has the character from MadWorld.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » July 22nd, 2011, 10:30 am

I was happy to see Resident Evil 4 come to the PS2, but this feels different. Goldeneye feels like its Nintendo to me. The original never left the N64 so I guess I feel like this remake should stay on the Wii. The other reason is that the 360 & PS3 already have a ton of fps's. I doubt Goldeneye can really compete with Call of Duty so why not leave it on the Wii?

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » July 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm

I think this game will sell like hotcakes. Why? Because most of my high school buddies (including me) still own a N64 and still play it. Goldeneye is usually the game we play the most. 

I don't have the Wii version, and I agree that it didn't sell as much as expected because the Wii's not a hardcore console like the 360 and PS3. It will sell a lot more on the 360 and PS3, but I imagine that people would go back to the original N64 version anyways.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » July 22nd, 2011, 1:52 pm

Well it's great for those of us who already have a 360/PS3 and don't have room for two game systems.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm

I don't really see this as being a big deal.  It seems like a big deal right now... kind of like how it seemed like it was going to be a big deal when it was announced for the Wii.  Then a few people bought, most didn't, and then the industry moved on.  It undersold (the same way the Wii Dead Space did), so now it's heading to other platforms.  It certainly won't constitute a financial nick on the Wii, since most who were planning on buying the game have done so already.  Timed exclusives are nothing new, but I understand that it sort of feels like Golden Eye should stay on a Ninty console.  NBA Jam would have been a much bigger knock on Nintendo since it was only a timed exclusive for a couple of months.  That would certainly chip away at sales on the Wii for those who owned two systems.

Me?  I'm kind of excited by the process.  I wasn't really planning on buying this game in spite of owning a Wii, since the game is still selling for $40.  But for $29.99 brand new and in HD?  I may have to pick it up for the PS3.... then again, as others have mentioned, it really was only a big prospect on the Wii since the Wii had so few good FPS titles.  Lots of critics even mentioned that it's a rather bland FPS title unless you only own a Wii.  I guess we'll see.  I'm much more excited about NBA JAM: On Fire edition - $15 downloadable title with improvements over the original, which is still selling for $35 used for both 360 and PS3.  I think the Wii has used copies for $25. 

Julio III

Postby Julio III » July 22nd, 2011, 5:52 pm

I only played MadWorld for a few hours, I thought it wasn't that great either. I basically bought it for the graphical style once it was in the bargain bin but the graphics made it hard to actually see anything. The game was fairly boring too. I preferred the more fun approach of the Oneechanbara games for mindless hack and slash.

Return to “Modern Gaming”