Upcoming Games I'm Psyched About

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I was leafing through an E3 conference article in the new Game Informer, and I saw a number of upcoming titles that caught my eye.

Getting psyched about:
Bioshock Infinite
Uncharted 3
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Call of Duty: MW3
Gears of War 3
Rayman Origins
Far Cry 3
Twisted Metal
Luigi's Mansion 2
SSX
Super Mario 3DS

Not so sure about:
Batman Arkham City
Tomb Raider
Rage
Kirby Wii
Resistance 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Mario Kart 3DS
Street Fighter X Tekken
Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Star Fox 64 3D

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » July 24th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Why aren't you psyched for Mario Kart 3DS critic? A little skeptical perhaps?

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » July 24th, 2011, 3:59 pm

What about Battlefield 3? That looks absolutley mind-blowing!  I'm excited about most of the titles you listed, but the one game i'm more excited about then any other is Saints Row: The Third.  Also looking forward to Driver: Renegade and Driver: San Fransisco.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » July 24th, 2011, 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I was leafing through an E3 conference article in the new Game Informer, and I saw a number of upcoming titles that caught my eye.

Getting psyched about:
Bioshock Infinite
Uncharted 3
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Call of Duty: MW3
Gears of War 3
Rayman Origins
Far Cry 3
Twisted Metal
Luigi's Mansion 2
SSX
Super Mario 3DS

Not so sure about:
Batman Arkham City
Tomb Raider
Rage
Kirby Wii
Resistance 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Mario Kart 3DS
Street Fighter X Tekken
Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Star Fox 64 3D

[/QUOTE]

I feel just about the same way although I am psyched for Rage and Tomb Raider. I could care less about Skyward sword although I think the new kirby game looks cool. Bioshock Infinite looks awesome!

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » July 24th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Great list. I'm looking forward to Twisted Metal. I just hope that its like TM2 & not TM Black.

Luke

Postby Luke » July 25th, 2011, 3:02 am

HA! Almost all sequels.

That says a lot about this generation of gaming, doesn't it? *Rampant sequels. Not much originality*

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 30th, 2011, 3:25 pm

That viewpoint has never made any sense to me. Why does a game have to be a non-sequel to have "originality?" I think that some of the most original ideas have come from sequels. Super Mario Bros. 3, Uncharted 2, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past/Ocarina of Time, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Pitfall 2, Earthworm Jim 2, and the list goes on.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 30th, 2011, 3:35 pm

In addition to what Banjo just said, I see several new sequels in that list to franchises that debuted during this generation. So it's not like we're just getting sequels in series that have been around 10-20 years this generation. They're still doing new IP or things like Bioshock, Gears of War, and Uncharted would've never been established this generation (Among several other new franchises that have become huge successes this generation). And several others I see listed are sequels in long dormant series. So it seems fine from my point of view and hardly a problem.

It doesn't seem any different than 10-15 years ago. Big budget games have always gravitated towards sequels for obvious reasons to keep risk at an acceptable level. It's the same reason why sequels tend to fill up someone's list of games they're looking forward to. They're a known quantity since gamers and publishers alike can venture a guess on how they're going to turn out based on past performance. Publishers and gamers have limited budgets, so it's perfectly natural for sequels in already established series to be commonplace since people don't always want to make a blind guess. They're going to look at what they've done before and play it safe most of the time. 

Plus, it's the Critic's list of what caught his eye for upcoming games. You sort of have to have some awareness of a project to put a game on a list of games you're looking forward to. So naturally any such list, for any of us, is going to typically be mostly new entries in established series that we already know we're likely going to enjoy.

So that doesn't mean that publishers won't be attempting to establish several new series, even this year. It just means that you have to actually become aware and learn a little bit about an unknown game to actually want it and put it on a list. People didn't see the name Bioshock several years ago and bought it just because of it's name. It became a success due to establishing a very positive reputation in things like the gaming press, positive word of mouth, etc. When it established a reputation is when people started wanting it and added it to list such as this one.

The next success like Mass Effect might be just around the corner, even if we're currently unaware of it.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » October 23rd, 2011, 11:16 pm

Rayman Origins is an interquel and it should explain a lot about what happened between the first and second games. Finally Ubisoft has their heads on right and ended that stupid dynasty of Rabbids!

And Mario Kart is getting rid of those stupid flying blue shells in favor of the ground shells that actually made 64 challenging instead of luck-based.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » October 25th, 2011, 10:12 am

I am pretty excited for what Aliens: Colonial Marines could be!

Return to “Modern Gaming”