Nintendo takes away more of our freedom

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » July 26th, 2011, 9:58 am

Nintendo is now making all 3DS firmware updates virtually mandatory, in an effort to fight piracy.

[QUOTE]

Version 2.1.0-4U [of the 3DS Menu] includes the following improvements:

• System stability improvements and other adjustments. Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Your Nintendo 3DS system and software are not designed for use with any unauthorized device and/or any unauthorized software. Please note that the Nintendo warranties do not cover any defects to or defects caused by unauthorized devices, software, modifications and/or non-licensed accessories. Furthermore such use may lead to injury to yourself or others and may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Nintendo 3DS system and related services. Nintendo (as well as Nintendo licensees or distributors) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of such devices, software, modifications or non-licensed accessories. IMPORTANT: After the Nintendo 3DS system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Nintendo 3DS system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

[/QUOTE]

Sources:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/update.jsp
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/new_3ds_system_update_warns_you_about_piracy

This essentially puts the 3DS consumer at the total mercy of Nintendo.

andrew

Postby andrew » July 26th, 2011, 10:35 am

It's a non-issue at the end of the day. Firmware updates are good for the system and the updates will probably be included on the carts to prevent any problems.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » July 26th, 2011, 10:46 am

no 3DS for me

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » July 26th, 2011, 10:49 am

PS3 and 360 games often require certain levels of firmware before they will run. How is this different?

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 26th, 2011, 11:15 am

Mountain meet mole hill.

It's no different, if you really want to mod your system, you will.  Your choice once modded is to then never actually update as you'll have to go through the hassle of modding it again.

If you want to play the latest games and choose not to update your modded system, well then, go buy a second system.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » July 26th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I think its an issue of Nintendo fans having an expectation of not having to deal with stuff like this.

andrew

Postby andrew » July 26th, 2011, 12:49 pm

[QUOTE=oldschoolgamer]I think its an issue of Nintendo fans having an expectation of not having to deal with stuff like this.
[/QUOTE]

But they already do with the Wii. Nothing new here. Heck there;'s been anti-piracy and import locks since the NES.

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » July 26th, 2011, 2:54 pm

[QUOTE] such use may lead to injury to yourself or others[/QUOTE]

What? Is the 3DS going to explode?

"Hey look, a new game from Tengen.  Lets play it ...wait the system is getting hot! KABOOM!"  

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » July 26th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Allrighty, I have a serious comment for this thread.

Unliscensed games/acessories are interesting, but it's O.K. for Nintendo to exclude them.

I, however, do not like manditory updates.  They are too...slow...to...load.

P.S. Sorry for the double post & please pardon my poor spelling.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 27th, 2011, 10:28 am

Yeah, the Wii has done the same since the very beginning, and I think the PS3 and 360 has as well. How is this "news"?

The "failure to update may render games unplayable" part just refers to the fact that some games will come with an upgrade patch, and if your system has not been upgraded to this version or higher, the game will force you to install it before it will run. This is nothing new, and nothing to make a big deal out of.

Let's not turn this into a new Resident Evil Mercenaries situation, shall we? Be aware of what you're complaining about before you start complaining.

Return to “Modern Gaming”