Nintendo takes away more of our freedom

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Viper821

Postby Viper821 » July 27th, 2011, 11:10 am

[quote]The "failure to update may render games unplayable" part just refers to the fact that some games will come with an upgrade patch, and if your system has not been upgraded to this version or higher, the game will force you to install it before it will run. This is nothing new, and nothing to make a big deal out of.[/quote]

Actually, I wanted to play Mortal Kombat online and had a friend logging on at the same time. We only had 30 minutes and over 20 of those were installing updates on both the game and system. I find this absolutely ridiculous because 95% of the updates are worthless to this gamer.

I'm sick of pathches and I'm sick of updates. If there was a regular 2-3 month fixed interval for patches to be released, I probably would not half as much.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 27th, 2011, 12:42 pm

[QUOTE=Viper82]
I'm sick of pathches and I'm sick of updates. If there was a regular 2-3 month fixed interval for patches to be released, I probably would not half as much.

[/QUOTE]

This obviously refers to system patches, since games don't come with upgrade patches for themselves. And system patches DO only come every other month or so.

Nintendo doesn't really do the "stay online constantly and download individual game upgrades constantly" thing, either. If forced upgrades bother you, Nintendo's stuff is the stuff you should not avoid.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » July 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm

I'd rather Nintendo crack down on the unerasable game saves with 3DS games because, under their watch and approval system, they've allowed 5 games to come out with that, and now, we have Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions joining Resident Evil Mercenaries, Super Monkey Ball 3D, Blazblue Continuum Shift 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » July 27th, 2011, 10:52 pm

This won't stop me from getting a 3DS. I don't really care, I just want to play the games!

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 28th, 2011, 11:07 am

[QUOTE=Michael D]I'd rather Nintendo crack down on the unerasable game saves with 3DS games because, under their watch and approval system, they've allowed 5 games to come out with that, and now, we have Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions joining Resident Evil Mercenaries, Super Monkey Ball 3D, Blazblue Continuum Shift 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011.[/QUOTE]

Because the inability to delete hi score lists is a major problem that completely ruins the game.

Even though no one really cared until terrible journalists started blowing the Resident Evil Mercenaries non-issue way out of proportions.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 28th, 2011, 12:11 pm

[QUOTE=Michael D]I'd rather Nintendo crack down on the unerasable game saves with 3DS games because, under their watch and approval system, they've allowed 5 games to come out with that, and now, we have Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions joining Resident Evil Mercenaries, Super Monkey Ball 3D, Blazblue Continuum Shift 2 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011.[/QUOTE]

Why not try to beat the high scores posted instead of trying to find a way to delete them?  The only person that I can see pushing for wiping hi score data would be your little brother that wants to torment you as he stinks at games and its the only way he can top your name on the hi-score board.

Are you a little brother wanting to torment your big brother?  If so, that's cool and all but fill up a pitcher of cold water instead and dump it on him when he's taking a shower, now, that's torment.

Good times.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 28th, 2011, 10:20 pm

It's irritating to hear someone say that a company is "taking their freedom away."  Perhaps an exercise in perspective is in order.  When someone says, "The government is taking our freedom away!" that may actually be legitimate.  Because when legislation gets turned into law, you MUST obey, punishable by fine, imprisonment, etc.  There is no escape.  You have no choice.  The choice has been made for you and you have no say, and yet you must obey regardless.  A company has no means of taking your freedom away.  You want an easy solution to keep evil Nintendo from taking your "freedom" away??  Don't buy a 3DS.  Problem solved.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » July 29th, 2011, 7:29 am

[quote] A company has no means of taking your freedom away. You want an easy solution to keep evil Nintendo from taking your "freedom" away?? Don't buy a 3DS. Problem solved.[/quote]

I don't want to take this thread political, but that is quite a naive statement. That's like saying since there is no law against it, developers are free to create an AO rated game on another system. While it's true no police officers will knock on their doors the fact is no developer has any chance of getting it published, law or not. It is 100% legal in North America to create an AO game but we still don't have any even though there would be a huge demand for them.

Speaking as someone who has a degree in Economics, lets just say I used to believe your statement but got a very rude awakening as to how the 'free' market really works.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 29th, 2011, 9:13 am

[QUOTE=Viper82]

I don't want to take this thread political, but that is quite a naive statement. That's like saying since there is no law against it, developers are free to create an AO rated game on another system. While it's true no police officers will knock on their doors the fact is no developer has any chance of getting it published, law or not. It is 100% legal in North America to create an AO game but we still don't have any even though there would be a huge demand for them.

[/QUOTE]

Eh, if you want to play that crap, play it on the PC.  There's loads of that crap available.  It's not that publishers won't take the risk, it's that the retail stores themselves have stated they don't want that crap on their store shelves. 

Retail stores such as Walmart and Best Buy don't have other adult related movies.  You can say there's a big market for it and all (and you're right) but you really don't have to play it on the consoles.  You can get that stuff for your PC instead

...or the 3DO

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » July 29th, 2011, 9:50 am

[quote]Eh, if you want to play that crap, play it on the PC.  There's loads of that crap available.  It's not that publishers won't take the risk, it's that the retail stores themselves have stated they don't want that crap on their store shelves. [/quote]

I think you missed the point of what I was saying. It's got nothing to do with 'wanting' to play AO rated games, but the fact that the 'free' market can be just as big of a censor as the government, whether it's right or not. On a similar note, I do find it funny that gaming retailers love 17+ games but won't touch 18+ games with a ten foot pole. Then again, corporate types don't exactly think logically.

Again, I could go on for hours on this topic but I don't want to take away from what this is about: The 3DS (and gaming companies in general) love to trick us into believing we have total freedom but would gladly limit our enjoyment of games in the name of the holy grail of $$$$.

Return to “Modern Gaming”