Turbografx Mini

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Turbografx Mini

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2020, 6:16 pm

I'm impressed with this thing on so many levels.

First, it's larger than your standard mini-console, measuring about 10-11 inches across. I kind of like that! The controller is just like the original, except the plastic feels a little rough around the edges. The system didn't come with a USB power block (only a cable) but I just used one from one of my other minis.

The game selection is pretty fantastic. Just going through the menu makes me appreciate how great this system was:
Bonk's Revenge, Lords of Thunder, Blazing Lasers, R-Type, Military Madness, Neutopia, Splatterhouse, and Soldier Blade just to name a few (26 in all). A few are super expensive to buy on ebay now, like Neutopia II, Air Zonk, Parasol Stars, and New Adventure Island.

These games play like a dream. Although the 16-graphics may be pixelated in HD, they seem very soft and easy on the eyes. Better yet, the animation is SO SMOOTH. Maybe smoother than the games were originally?

I'm putting together a review now but I'm really digging this. The other minis have familiar games published many times over the years on various systems, but this thing is a real treasure trove.

Atariboy

Re: Turbografx Mini

Postby Atariboy » September 17th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Don't forget to check out all the hidden extra games on this.

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 73#p175873

Discovering all of that was one of the best parts of the system for me.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 17th, 2020, 7:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: Just going through the menu makes me appreciate how great this system was:
Bonk's Revenge, Lords of Thunder, Blazing Lasers, R-Type, Military Madness, Neutopia, Splatterhouse, and Soldier Blade just to name a few (26 in all). A few are super expensive to buy on ebay now, like Neutopia II, Air Zonk, Parasol Stars, and New Adventure Island.

Pro Tip: There are way more than 26 games on it. I don't want to ruin the surprise of it but start clicking the icons in the lower right at the main menu. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Glad to know Easter Eggs are still alive and well. I thought they had all be subsumed by DLC!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2020, 11:14 am

Switched to PC Engine mode to discover A WHOLE NEW SET OF GAMES!!! Including Dracula X!! That was a CD ROM game!

noah98

Postby noah98 » September 19th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Even though it's totally unnecessary, I bought the Hori Turbo Tap for this and a Hori controller:

https://stores.horiusa.com/official-tur ... cessories/

strat

Postby strat » September 19th, 2020, 7:55 pm

Lords of Thunder was also a CD game. Really should've been a Turboduo-Mini when you think about it.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 20th, 2020, 5:34 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Switched to PC Engine mode to discover A WHOLE NEW SET OF GAMES!!! Including Dracula X!! That was a CD ROM game!

Unfortunately some of these are in Japanese! That being said, love this mini console, especially since I never played any of these games back in the day.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 20th, 2020, 1:20 pm

The vast majority of the PC Engine side of the lineup is at least very import friendly. There are only a handful of problematic to enjoy games here due to the language barrier. What's bizarre though are the several instances of only including the Japan version of games that we did get localized versions of.

And I really don't know what's gained by including five games on this in both their PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 forms. Especially when the 5 double dips are all games that are very text dependent and can only be enjoyed by most of us in their localized TG16 form. I'd much rather have seen these five PC Engine games left off like Neutopia 1 & 2 and stuff like Final Soldier substituted in their place.

At least M2 wisely killed off Tokimeki Memorial and Tengai Makyō II: Manji Maru from the PC Engine Mini in favor of putting Salamander on this. Lots of love for Salamander with western classic gamers, but not too many takers for trying to get into untranslated Japanese dating sims and RPG's.
Last edited by Atariboy on September 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 21st, 2020, 8:58 am

Out of the minis I have the TurboGrafx-16 is by far my favorite (NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbo).

The Hori multitap for the TurboGrafx-16 mini was clearly a rush job. The wireless controller dongles don't fit. The clearances aren't wide enough. You'll need USB extenders if you want multiple wireless controllers attached. As it's incredibly unlikely for 5 person Bomberman matches in the next year, it's not that big a deal but it is annoying.

The mini itself is aces.

Return to “Now Playing”