Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) via a PlayStation Classic

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
TheEagleXIII

Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) via a PlayStation Classic

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 24th, 2020, 4:51 am

I've been wanting to revisit JSR for over 15 years, it's easily one of my top 5 favourite games and I still occasionally listen to the OST. But over that time I've never had a lot of success finding a definitive answer on hooking up a Dreamcast to an HDTV. And I never bought it on 360 with the stubborn view that I would eventually get around to properly researching getting that square white box hooked up.

I still haven't.

I wouldn't usually highlight if I'm emulating - but the fact that some genius has got Dreamcast games working on a PS Classic is incredible. It's a mixed bag though. Very few games run perfectly, some have bearable graphical glitches, others are slow or have choppy audio or just don't play at all. But even getting the games running badly is an achievement, if totally impractical.

Jet Set Radio is just about acceptable. The frame rate isn't perfect, but the game is still playable.

You ever have a favourite game, book, show, album or movie that you didn't revisit for a long time and you start to forget why you loved it? I totally forgot just why I loved this game so much. This game still feels totally unique, and it's one of those experiences where everything comes together to make it greater than the sum of it's parts. The music, the style, the dancing, the over-the-top ridiculous plot, the gameplay. This game is just plain fun. Even the funky tune that plays when you fail a challenge is awesome.

Even without a smooth frame rate this game is still a blast. It's still not ideal, though. The frame rate and lack of that original firm Dreamcast analog stick does make manoeuvring a little tricky, meaning I'm having to retry certain areas several times. The same with the stick movements required to spray graffiti - especially when the cops are closing in quick. The already occasionally awkward camera is sometimes a little more awkward. But I'm still ending levels with time to spare and getting a Turbo - Nitro ranking.

The lack of perfect emulation also affected one of the skater challenges. I was shown the line I had to copy, and after grinding a rail, the character just fell onto a roof, went limp and rolled awkwardly into a wall. It was obvious this wasn't the line and I was able to guess the right way to go because the was a glaringly obvious rail the other side of the roof.

I'm expecting to encounter a glitch that may halt my progress, but the fact this thing is working on a PS Classic, which shouldn't even be up to the task, is pretty incredible. I still need to get that Dreamcast out of storage, but until I stop procrastinating, this'll do.

Buttermancan

Re: Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) via a PlayStation Classic

Postby Buttermancan » September 24th, 2020, 5:19 am

I never really played this game that much back in the day but it is one that I would like to pick up at some point again soon.
I take it you don't have a computer. The game can be bought on steam for cheap and runs well. Alternatively the dreamcast emulators run really well on low end pc's too :)

TheEagleXIII

Re: Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) via a PlayStation Classic

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 25th, 2020, 4:05 am

I do have a few Steam games and a couple emulators I can run on my Mac. I'm just more of a chilling-on-a-comfy-sofa-in-front-of-the-TV kinda gamer. Completely changes the experience for me ;)

Return to “Now Playing”