Deathloop (PC, also on PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Crummylion

Deathloop (PC, also on PS5)

Postby Crummylion » September 15th, 2021, 2:01 am

Don't think I got into the meat of the game since I only got two hours in, so I'll be quick. So this game is basically yet another Time Loop game mixed with another Soulsborne elements. Don't think punishingly difficult, I actually found it easy so far. Think like you lose all your items if you die, you can easily be griefed by other players (if you're online, the Critic sighs in relief,) and you still keep progress of main and side quests completed. Don't threat though, as there are lives through the form of a "Reprise" where you're teleported to a nearby area with all your items and not lose any progress. There's always the debate of if lives or game overs are archaic or unnecessary, so I personally find this form a breathe of fresh air especially the way they utilize it in online play. I also like the way this game lets you tackle things, you can go full on pacifist mode, stealth your way out, or go guns ablazing. The stealth isn't Hitman or MGS levels of ingenious, but it's simple fun. Game has two modes, story mode where you play as Colt, or the griefer mode (as I like to call it) where you go online as Juliana and grief players for points. I'm also a huge fan of the fact the Dualsense has most of the features available on the pc version. All games need to support features like this because they're bringing immersion to the computer. But on the topic of pc, there is stuttering thanks to DRM, even though my current pc's specs is just below next gen, so I guess consoles wins today. Oh well, the presentation is amazing though. Art style, soundtrack, it's beautiful and has a stunning 70s vibe.
I'll have to report back later though because the first few levels feel too suspiciously short, especially when I had to revisit some of them. There's gotta be more meat to them. So far, good first impressions, some short comings, and some promise.

Return to “Now Playing”