Super Mario Land (Gameboy)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Buttermancan

Re: Super Mario Land (Gameboy)

Postby Buttermancan » September 9th, 2021, 6:36 am

jon wrote:This game never gets old. What a classic. I remember when I first beat it over a year ago. I thought maybe I'd get tired of it. But let me tell you, the replay value is off the charts.

It's definitely a classic that I boot up from time to time

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 9th, 2021, 7:22 am

Here is hoping the rumored Game Boy service for Switch Online includes the original SML Trilogy. :)

strat

Postby strat » September 9th, 2021, 11:07 am

More like a pentalogy as Wario Land 2 and 3 should be included :D

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 9th, 2021, 11:10 am

strat wrote:More like a pentalogy as Wario Land 2 and 3 should be included :D

True. 8-) And DLK 1, 2, 3 n Country (GBC). And Metroid II, and...

JohanOberg

Postby JohanOberg » September 21st, 2021, 5:06 pm

I've been playing Super Mario Land since I was 7 so I'm a little biased but I love it a lot, I don't like when people rag on it for being simplistic, ugly or whatever else. And the music is great too, the ending song especially is wonderful. SML is one of the examples I think of when I get sick of Bowser(which happens occasionally) bring back Tatanga maybe? Try another new villain? It doesn't always have to be Bowser!
Anyway Super Mario Land is great.

djc

Postby djc » September 22nd, 2021, 12:35 am

I've always likened SML1 to Super Mario Bros on the NES due to the similarity in the graphics/sprites. SML2 to me is more like Super Mario World on the SNES. Both good games - just different.

As for which I like better, it's kind of a toss up. If I had them both in front of me I would play them both. If I drop-dead had to choose, I'd probably go with SML2.

What's more impressive to me is that if you play the games on a Gameboy Color/Advance/SP, there is quite a bit of color added to SML2 and it almost looks like the game was made for the platform even though it came out quite a number of years before the GBC did. Even SML1 had reasonable color tones added.

jon

Postby jon » September 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am

djc wrote:I've always likened SML1 to Super Mario Bros on the NES due to the similarity in the graphics/sprites. SML2 to me is more like Super Mario World on the SNES. Both good games - just different.

As for which I like better, it's kind of a toss up. If I had them both in front of me I would play them both. If I drop-dead had to choose, I'd probably go with SML2.

What's more impressive to me is that if you play the games on a Gameboy Color/Advance/SP, there is quite a bit of color added to SML2 and it almost looks like the game was made for the platform even though it came out quite a number of years before the GBC did. Even SML1 had reasonable color tones added.

I joked that SML2 should've been called Super Mario 3/World. It's such a radical departure from SML that I don't think it got a proper sequel. There are levels where the game gives you 15 minutes. I will acknowledge that the final level with the confrontation with Wario is epic. SML2 could've been a standalone game and franchise leading to the Wario games while the original could've had its own series that didn't differ too much in gameplay.

jon

Postby jon » December 22nd, 2023, 4:30 pm

I was playing Super Mario Wonder for the Switch and I liked it. But I’d been playing so much Super Mario Land over the years that when I got the fireball I expected it to bounce real high and all over the place like in SML. And it made me realize, why in the world did Nintendo not keep that bouncing forever fireball like in SML. I guess it was only in that game.

Also I just realized that after you beat SML you can play it over again with a lot higher difficulty with more enemies. That’s a nice touch and I don’t think I really tried it before.

jon

Postby jon » December 29th, 2023, 6:07 pm

I just did the hard mode which you get to after beating the game. If you keep the game on and get to the start screen it ramps up the difficulty. It was mostly just more enemies. It wasn’t too challenging but was a heck of a lot of fun. But I sure wish the sequel would’ve been an extension of this game.

Return to “Now Playing”