Metroid Dread (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
newmodelarmy

Re: Metroid Dread (Switch)

Postby newmodelarmy » November 26th, 2021, 5:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just started playing this and not impressed. Got stuck going around in circles. Now I can't beat the white EMMI despite thinking that I know what to do. The aiming is just so touchy. Don't care for the control scheme.

Ya the controls are not great. I liked the game but I needed to use a help guide to figure out what to do next on a few occasions. I also think that save points should have been more readily available.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2021, 9:45 am

I will stick with it.

Funny you should mention about a lack of save points. If anything it's almost like there are too many! It feels like every other room is a save point!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 26th, 2021, 9:54 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I will stick with it.

Funny you should mention about a lack of save points. If anything it's almost like there are too many! It feels like every other room is a save point!

I concur, though I did come to appreciate the checkpoint system after the 10+ deaths to any given EMMI (not commenting on the EMMI being right in the second door after every other respawn...)

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 26th, 2021, 11:00 am

I think when you get further along in the game you may not think that but who knows.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 26th, 2021, 11:16 am

newmodelarmy wrote:

I think when you get further along in the game you may not think that but who knows.

With all the free saves (Adam and Map Rooms), plus the EMMI and Boss checkpoints, I rarely had issues with saving.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 26th, 2021, 8:31 pm

I agree that the game has a very nice “flow” once you get used to it, but it does take some time to click.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 26th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Voor wrote:I agree that the game has a very nice “flow” once you get used to it, but it does take some time to click.

THAT I agree with completely. Both Dread and Samus Returns use a similar control setup (and gameplay, to a point), and I kept trying to play the game as if I was playing Super Metroid/Metroid II/Metroid Fusion, meaning not aiming when I should and trying to avoid counters (I suck at QTE actions...)

Voor

Postby Voor » November 27th, 2021, 11:23 am

MSR1701 wrote:
Voor wrote:I agree that the game has a very nice “flow” once you get used to it, but it does take some time to click.

THAT I agree with completely. Both Dread and Samus Returns use a similar control setup (and gameplay, to a point), and I kept trying to play the game as if I was playing Super Metroid/Metroid II/Metroid Fusion, meaning not aiming when I should and trying to avoid counters (I suck at QTE actions...)

Regarding QTE: me too! It’s kind of remarkable how a person can be “bad” at those, but the timing in my brain just doesn’t align with the game’s. Makes me feel like the worst gamer of all time.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2021, 11:19 am

Just beat the first boss after about 100 tries. Is there even a health meter in this game?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 28th, 2021, 11:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just beat the first boss after about 100 tries. Is there even a health meter in this game?

LOL, you summed up my thoughts for Bosses in this!

This game is a case of If You Know The Trick, It Goes Fast. If You Do Not, Prepare To Suffer

Return to “Now Playing”