Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 - Turtles in Time (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 - Turtles in Time (SNES)

Postby Herschie » May 17th, 2022, 2:29 am

My wife has mixed feelings about me playing this. On one hand she told me she's going to wring my neck if she hears me shout "Cowabunga!" one more time. On the other hand she seems happy that I've finally quit singing "That's All" by Genesis over and over again. I've never been one who picks up on social cues.

Me, I know how I feel and I love this game! I'm always looking for games that you don't take too seriously when you've only got ten minutes to play. This certainly fits the bill. We all need that one mindless fun game in our lives. Actually this isn't too bad on the NES either but the Super Nintendo version does literally everything better.

I love the graphics and it's hilarious looking at the Turtles' facial expression when they get hit. Especially funny is when they get electrocuted or when they stub their toe in the sewer surfing stage. It's not unlike the "Too Bad" scene from Mario Sunshine that sometimes has you losing on purpose because it's so hilarious.

Ok so I didn't lose on purpose. What do you want from me I'm terrible at these games!

Zack Burner

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4 - Turtles in Time (SNES)

Postby Zack Burner » May 17th, 2022, 7:18 am

Ah Turtles in Time, you can't say that title without me getting nostalgic and more. All the times I spent playing this with a good friend for years, and no matter how many times I play through it I never tire of it. I've actually beaten the game as Leonardo and Michalangelo on just one credit and on the hard difficulty! Those two were always my favorites, and of the boss fights I think my favorite would have to be Slash since he's the hardest, unless you know his weakspot. I love the music, the boss theme every now and then pops into my head, and every other theme fits perfectly, my favorite is Alleycat Blues. This was even the favorite game of a UFC fighter Mitch Clarke.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 17th, 2022, 12:55 pm

This Game could be in my top five, just in terms of how much joy I get out of simply playing it. I last played it a couple of years ago having not touched it for a decade, and it was just as much fun. I’m never really tempted to buy arcade machines, but I saw a one up version of this and had to resist hard. Lol. I have even thought about speedrunning yet, really just as an excuse to keep playing it.
Last edited by Voor on May 17th, 2022, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 17th, 2022, 6:03 pm

I decided to pop in the NES version and now I legit want Pizza Hut. I wonder what Raphael would think of pineapple on a pizza?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 19th, 2022, 4:39 am

Classic game. I got this with my SNES in the early 90's, so I've been playing it ever since. When I think about it, it's probably my personal favorite game in the beat em up genre. Also, this is my #1 game for 2-player co-op when introducing retro gaming to younger kids. My nephews had a blast with it.

Herschie wrote:I decided to pop in the NES version and now I legit want Pizza Hut. I wonder what Raphael would think of pineapple on a pizza?

Didn't know there was an NES version - I hope I didn't miss out! Or you referring to TMNT: The Arcade Game?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2022, 3:15 pm

You guys reminded me about the TMNT Cowabunga Collection. I just did a search of Amazon and it's due out... 31 of DECEMBER?!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 19th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Didn't know there was an NES version.. Or you referring to TMNT: The Arcade Game?

I'm sure that's what he means. It's the one with all the Pizza Hut branding, after all :D

VideoGameCritic wrote:TMNT Cowabunga Collection... it's due out... 31 of DECEMBER?!

It's a placeholder date. Most sites that have given the game press coverage also mention it releasing sometime during the Summer of this year. I can virtually guarantee you it'll be out before December!

I have a buddy of mine from High School who is beyond stoked for this collection. For reference, we used to play Turtles in Time on the SNES back in the day, and for my wedding, he gave me that very same cartridge as a gift. It's his favorite game of all time, bar-none. I like it well enough, myself, buuuuuuuuut...

...one thing I'm hoping the Cowabunga Collection does is expose more people to The Hyperstone Heist. Many people view it as inferior to the SNES version of Time, but personally, HH is the one I go back to the most. In my opinion, it plays faster and controls better, and the different levels and level layouts makes it feel like a mashup of Time and the original Arcade Game. Not a bad thing, if you ask me!

I also love the twangy, crunchy take on the soundtrack provided by the Genesis sound board, though I feel like I'm one of the few people who legitimately prefers the way Genesis games sound over Super NES titles.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » May 19th, 2022, 8:23 pm

Beatemups isn't much my thing cos I think it's a very repetitive genre but Turtles in Time really won me over, it's a great game, colorful inviting graphics plus great TMNT music, fast gameplay with lots of moves, the short stages don't overstay its welcome, the surf stage and the Mode 7 stages gives a nice change of pace which is always a plus on the beatemup genre.

When I finished the game I thought: Wat? Is it over?, it was so good I gave it another go.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 20th, 2022, 2:07 pm

I guess the NES version wasn't the same game, it's just very similar. I have lunch at 3 pm so perhaps I'll scratch my Pizza Hut itch at that time. Hungover as hell so hopefully I'll be able to keep it down.

Oh, but no anchovies, and I mean no anchovies! You put anchovies on this thing and you're in big trouble, ok?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 20th, 2022, 6:28 pm

Herschie wrote:I guess the NES version wasn't the same game, it's just very similar. I have lunch at 3 pm so perhaps I'll scratch my Pizza Hut itch at that time. Hungover as hell so hopefully I'll be able to keep it down.

Oh, but no anchovies, and I mean no anchovies! You put anchovies on this thing and you're in big trouble, ok?

Wiseman say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza!"

"Introducing the new Turbo Ginsu! It slices! It dices! And it makes french fries in three different.....whoops!"

"Mmmmm....kids!"

Return to “Now Playing”