Days Gone (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JWK

Days Gone (PS4)

Postby JWK » August 18th, 2022, 6:03 pm

The PS4 crushed it in the 8th console generation. It inches ever closer to 120 million console sales and it’s no secret that part of its success was a stellar line up of exclusive games. Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and many others remain console exclusive, though some now appear on PC. Other genre defining titles like NieR Automata and Persona 5 were I totally console exclusive to the PS4 but are now elsewhere or have plans beyond PlayStation.

So, what about Days Gone? The proverbial red-headed step child of PS4 console exclusives, you might be surprised to hear that it’s actually a good game. There is a patch to make it run at 4k/60fps on PS5 and looks quite good with HDR. But the generic set-up will definitely be off putting to some: it’s yet another post-apocalyptic game with zombies. Days Gone won’t win any awards for its “me too” setting. We’ve all seen this a hundred times. But as “meh” as the narrative can be, the voice acting is professional and believable. You play as Deacon St John, former member of a biker club, who believes he has lost his wife the night he put her on a helicopter to be treated for a stab wound the night the world was overtaken by “freakers” (because calling them something other than zombies makes it original?) He rides with his buddy Boozer on motorcycles as drifters, doing mercenary jobs for various camps while remaining unaffiliated with any one of them. Again, as a narrative, you aren’t missing anything substantial by ignoring this game, but it can be quite interesting and there will be many twists in the story where you’ll want to see what happens next.

Where the game shines is in its open world design. There are a lot of missions and side quests to take on and the variety in the combat is nice. Lots of guns to unlock and buy, lots of upgrades to your bike and your health/stamina/focus. Individual freakers to kill, cults to destroy, outposts of other humans to conquer, NERO science labs to break into. If you enjoy open world games, there’s lots to enjoy about travel, exploration and combat. The games initial E3 reveal showed Deacon fighting against a freaker horde, consisting of HUNDREDS of zombies. You’ll take them on, too. It’s one of the most difficult parts of the game, though most are optional. Outrunning a horde on your bike is sometimes a smarter choice than taking them on with Molotovs, bombs, dynamite and lots of bullets. But it’s also a rush and exhilarating when you battle a horde and somehow survive.

Taking on quests opens up more of the map which can open up even more quests and opportunities to get new gear. Again, it’s very formulaic, but it works. Not every game needs to reinvent the wheel. But it is disappointing that the game is about two years old and there are some unpatched glitches, including a cave without a floor (part of a required quest), bridges you fall through and battles to progress the story that won’t load. The patch to improve performance on PS5 is nice, but it seems Sony doesn’t have any intention of fully finishing this game. Sony Bend, the game’s developer, hasn’t started another project since this one. It’s just disappointing that a game can be underrated by both gamers AND Sony themselves.

If you’ve played the rest of The PS4’s exclusive lineup, this one might surprise you. It’s far from perfect, but very addicting and almost always fun. Grade: B-

DrLitch

Re: Days Gone (PS4)

Postby DrLitch » August 19th, 2022, 8:46 am

Good write up. I need to revisit this one. I do not think I have put enough time in this game to have too strong an opinion on it, but based on what I have done so far, it appears a well made and thought out game, despite my experience so far being more middling. Never found that "gotcha moment". Every great game has one for me. It could be a single scene that etches into the inner sanctum. It could just be the combat music - i.e. as in Final Fantasy 7 or the music in the Mariposa Military Base area in Fallout. Little details that transforms good into great. In Nier Automata, once you beat that colossus in the sea and it's EMP shenanigans, the camera pans out on 2B and the music starts playing. At that single moment it became perhaps the greatest game I ever played. Just one scene did it. Days Gone has not produced a moment like that for me but I have not put on enough hours perhaps. Good game on paper, I need to be motivated to give it a proper day in court. I will put this one back on my bucket list.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 19th, 2022, 2:10 pm

I knew I liked you, DrLitch! NieR Automata is a top 3 game all time for me. I think my “gotcha” moment for it may have been the amusement park. No particular moment; just the whole thing. The incredible music, the robot parade, the rollercoaster, the boss fight with the “singer.” That was the moment I knew I loved the game.

Days Gone probably won’t have a single moment like that. At least I don’t think it did for me. It’s a slow burn. In the first 2 hours of play I remember thinking it was clearly in “C” territory. I told a buddy if I didn’t play it, he wasn’t missing anything. I texted him a week later and told him my perception had completely changed and I was quite addicted to it. For better and worse, it’s an open world game. But it’s also done well and a game clearly better than it’s reputation. If you do end up playing it, I hope you enjoy it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 19th, 2022, 11:10 pm

JWK wrote:If you do end up playing it, I hope you enjoy it.

On my list of things to play again. An abandoned title worth a revisit, you and a friend here convinced me it is worth a second day in court. Will clearing out my backlog again, many titles half played need finishing. Elden Ring kinda became an obsession for over 100 hours and I am close to finishing it with the progress I consider respectable. Well worth a play if you have not already.

JWK wrote:It’s a slow burn.

Pretty much the norm for most RPG's that have 50+ hours stamped on them. The slow burn titles often end up as favorites.... that is once it hooks.

JWK wrote:I think my “gotcha” moment for it may have been the amusement park. No particular moment; just the whole thing. The incredible music, the robot parade, the rollercoaster, the boss fight with the “singer.” That was the moment I knew I loved the game.

Yes an amazing segment, Forest area was always my fave.

Regarding Nier Automata, if you have not already played it, I hardcore recommend Nier Replicant which is a remake of Nier on PS3. Nier Replicant is almost as good as Automata. The story and music is about on a par but the game drops the ball making you replay entire segments of the game if you want to get to ending E and play as another character, Kaine. The floating book Weiss is the star of the show though. I would have a hard time leaving Nier Replicant off a top ten list since it is absolutely awesome. A must play if you have not already since a lot of things regarding Emil in Automata will make sense. Most tragic character in Video Gaming history. If you have not already, you should also play Final Fantasy VII Remake. I loathed the real time combat scheme they came up for it at first but I forced myself to accept it and it is another one of this generation's awesome RPG's. It does have same story as original PS1 game so much of the wow factor will already be familiar. Another to check out is Tales of Arise which I finished a few months back. And then there is Xenoblade Chronicles 3. To be honest, this is the best RPG generation since the PS1 days. It might even be better.

JWK

Postby JWK » August 24th, 2022, 11:56 am

We really have similar tastes, it sounds like. Completely agree on NieR Replicant. The original NieR was not a popular game for PS3/360, but I read a couple glowing user reviews at the time and decided to try it. The music hooked me immediately and I was convinced I had experienced one of the best stories in gaming by the end. But it definitely had flaws. The combat was pedestrian and the visuals looked like a cleaner PS2 game. Replicant fixes almost all the issues. Better combat, much better visuals. But I actually enjoy the original OST slightly more than the re-recorded songs for Replicant. But an absolute winner of a game.

DrLitch wrote:

The floating book Weiss is the star of the show though.

That’s GRIMOIRE Weiss and it’s NOT to be abbreviated!

I played through about 25 hours of Final Fantasy VII Remake, but I set it aside when I bought a PS5. I’m planning on getting the PS5 “Intergrade” patch to continue playing through it. Amazing game. One of the best remakes ever. Like you said, the locales and chapters are even more amazing if you have familiarity with the PS1 game. I even really enjoy the real time combat. Honestly, Remake might be one of the my favorite games ever. I find it that good. And I’m not even done with it!

I have Tales of Arise on both PS4 and PS5. Still haven’t even started it, but I’m happy to hear you vouch for it. When I’m done with Spider-Man Remastered (PS5), that will probably be my next game. And I had no idea Xenoblade 3 was that good! I’ve only played Xenoblade (first on Wii, then the definitive edition on Switch). I love it. But I own and haven’t played X, 2 and Torna. I’m excited to get to 3 now.

By the by, I have since finished and platinumed Days Gone. It’s actually a very good game. I’d probably bump my score up to a B. Some annoying bugs and world/mission structures didn’t hold it back much for me. Crazy that I went from “eh, maybe I’ll end up playing this” to “I’m gonna Platinum this game” in such a short amount of time.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 24th, 2022, 7:11 pm

JWK wrote: By the by, I have since finished and platinumed Days Gone. It’s actually a very good game. I’d probably bump my score up to a B. Some annoying bugs and world/mission structures didn’t hold it back much for me. Crazy that I went from “eh, maybe I’ll end up playing this” to “I’m gonna Platinum this game” in such a short amount of time.

I would probably bump this up to a B+ if you willing to go Platinum :lol:

I have this one on Epic so will start from scratch. I am interested again in it.

Related to Days Gone, it might be one of those games like Mad Max which came in underwhelming but many folks, including myself, woke up and realized the game is pretty dang fun. I recommend you pick it up if you are not yet ready to ditch the post apocalyptic survival adventure with heavy doses of vehicular related cruising.

JWK wrote:But I actually enjoy the original OST slightly more than the re-recorded songs for Replicant. But an absolute winner of a game.

OST - hard to say between the two for me I would call it a wash. The Barren Temple in the original Nier had a better arrangement of the song. Lost Shrine was better in Nier Replicant for me arrangement wise. I wish Replicant would give you the option to juggle between the two soundtracks.

Related to music, play Hades. Complete it 10 times. The ending song was memorable playing while you ride the river Styx ;)

JWK wrote:That’s GRIMOIRE Weiss and it’s NOT to be abbreviated!

The game had me laugh out loud in moments, particularly scenes involving the lighthouse lady and Grimoire Weiss.

JWK wrote:Honestly, Remake might be one of the my favorite games ever. I find it that good. And I’m not even done with it!

8-) Hardcore agreement. Game is absolutely phenomenal, one of my favorites ever. FF Tactics used to be my favorite, followed perhaps by X, VI and original PS1 VII but FF VII Remake is now the best of the lot. I am always on the fence with real time combat particularly with multiple characters. It worked in Y's VIII and IX, and it works here (just requires more effort to learn).

I want someone to remake Suikoden I and II.

JWK

Postby JWK » September 16th, 2022, 9:40 am

Well, it’s not exactly a remake, but it looks like you’re getting your wish, DrLitch. Konami is remastering Suikoden 1 & 2! New high poly backgrounds, improved animation for the sprites. Coming 2023 to PC and consoles.

Return to “Now Playing”