Retro Bowl (Switch, iOS, Android) - for Tecmo Bowl fans

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Retro Bowl (Switch, iOS, Android) - for Tecmo Bowl fans

Postby Retro STrife » September 25th, 2022, 7:30 am

If you're a Tecmo Super Bowl fan, or even just a football fan, you might be interested in this game. It's been on phones for a couple years and a Switch version came out this year. I stumbled across it while browsing the app store on iPhone. It is heavily inspired by Tecmo Bowl, but with a lot of changes, and very fun in its own right. It's free to play on phones. The games are super quick, so it's got a very addictive gameplay loop. Somehow I got sucked into like 5 hours straight the first time I played it, as I ran through 2 straight seasons. The controls are confusing at first, but do the quick tutorial and play a few games, and it gets much easier.

The reviews in the app store are very positive, but it's kinda funny reading the ones from younger gamers that don't realize the TSB connection. They say it's better than Madden and think it's a unique idea. Welcome to 1991, kids.

Breaker

Re: Retro Bowl (Switch, iOS, Android) - for Tecmo Bowl fans

Postby Breaker » September 27th, 2022, 2:51 pm

I downloaded this on my android phone after reading your post. I'm addicted!

Very simple gameplay, and has a definite, "one more game" quality. Somehow I find myself in my third season after downloading it yesterday...

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » September 27th, 2022, 9:20 pm

I downloaded it for the Switch many months ago, and put about 45 hours or so into that game. It's very addicting.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 28th, 2022, 10:49 am

DialSforSam wrote:I downloaded it for the Switch many months ago, and put about 45 hours or so into that game. It's very addicting.

The team-building aspect and rapid-fire games definitely kept me coming back for hours. Especially starting with a garbage team and building it up over a few seasons to win the Retro Bowl. I agree with Breaker - the games being so quick (5-10 minutes) helps that "one more game" quality, and you suddenly realize you've been playing all day.

Any idea if the Switch version is more in-depth? On the phone version, you only play offense and your defensive result is based on how well you build up your roster. The RB and WR auto-run with the ball, and you use swipes to control them. Passing works similar to Angry Birds, where you pull backward and aim to direct the ball. It's a bit wonky at first, but works surprisingly well when you get the hang of it. Does the Switch use more traditional controls?

Return to “Now Playing”