Stadia have a go before it is gone?

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BlasteroidAli

Stadia have a go before it is gone?

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 6th, 2022, 12:07 pm

https://stadia.google.com/game/house-of-the-dead-remake
Do you care to play the house of the dead remake and see if you agree with the critic? You only need a speed of about 12.7 Gb.. or that is what it uses an hour so an unlimited data cap is essential.

I just played Hot wheel's ultimate game of the year edition. A poor man's Wipeout/ F zero. There is nothing really wrong with it but it is just so average. Also, even with 100 Mb a second, I had connection issues which meant I crashed sometimes for no reason. Something that does not happen in any of the PS wipeout games which run from a disc. The PSP version of Wipeout kicks its rear. It might be okay for children. D+

BlasteroidAli

Re: Stadia have a go before it is gone?

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 7th, 2022, 4:57 am

House of the Dead

https://videogamecritic.com/switchdk.htm?s=3#rev5647

I completely agree with the Critic. I had my 30 mins play time of the game and were rather underwhelmed. I actually thought that the graphics were better on the Sega Saturn as it had better clarity. Also, you really miss the light gun. Given this is Stadia you only have one way of controlling the game the cursor. As the Critic mentioned, the cursor does not have an option to spring back to the centre of the screen. Also, you cannot change the colour of the cursor. This means that it fades into the background a lot. The blood is red, so what colour is the cursor? Red. They really missed a trick.

Reload, reload reload. After about thirty minutes of free gameplay, I had had enough of that speech. It is good to see Sophie again. At that part where she says, you must stop Curien, there should have been an option to pick her up and just go home with her. Let Curien do whatsoever he felt like.

I really enjoyed the 30 minutes play time and unlike Hotwheels it did not feel like a chore playing it. So much so that the game stopped about 10 minutes into the second try. I played the original. Then I played the horde mode, which just gives you more enemies to shoot.

Overall it feels like a mobile game. The reason for this is that they used Unity. Yep, instead of the vastly superior Unreal engine, they decided to go with Unity. That is fine for mobile games but lacks the finesse of some of the more modern engines. It plays like House of the dead, so if you like that game, you can have 30 mins for free on Stadia.
There is one thing that X cloud does not do, stuttering. Even running a game which felt like a mobile game I got stuttering.
C+

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 7th, 2022, 6:08 am

[b][Black Widow Recharged/b]

https://stadia.google.com/game/black-widow-recharged

Black Window recharged? A very obscure Atari arcade game gets remastered with better graphics. What is there not to like? This is another Mega Game playable only due to the amazing POWER of Stadia. Tongue is firmly placed in the cheek for that one. Well for a start the original boots it into touch. The original vector graphics were awesome and multicoloured. Also, when you picked up a dollar sign you saw the score. A really nice touch from Atari back in the day. It was one way of feeling you were progressing in a game, the score. For the update, they seem to have black, white, and one other colour, like blue or yellow. It looks horrible.

So how is it recharged? It is hard to tell as the original game is better in every way. So you get power-ups, which last for a while. Also, it is a twin stick. So it plays like a poor man's Robotron 2084. Oh, Robotron has better graphics than it as well. So the recharged first mode only gives you one life. I am 7th in the world on that one with a huge score of 5450. Next up is Classic. So this is going to be the arcade game? Wrong. It is recharged minus the upgraded weapons. Though you get three lives. Woo. Then there is classic recharged. Which is the first option but with 3 lives. Now here is the amazing thing after scoring a humongous score of 9445, I am NUMBER 1 in the world on Stadia!!!!! Wow!! Not in a good way. It shows how many people have played this game.

Did I mention the tune? The original game had no tune. Which actually is better that the remixed tune which is monotonous.
You can buy the game for £8 on most systems but 30 mins were enough for me. Also, on PC it sounds like it is a mess. Stuttering? Yep, that returned on, what is essentially these days a mobile game. The power of Stadia? Hmmm.
The critic reviewed the game here. https://videogamecritic.com/ps4ab.htm?s=3#rev4740
D+ for the Stadia recharged.
B+ for the game on Atari Classics on my PC.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 8th, 2022, 1:53 pm

https://stadia.google.com/game/breakout-recharged

Breakout recharged?

Okay todays Atari game is breakout recharged. Though it was not breakout at all but Arkanoid done badly. For a game with such minimalistic graphics it is amazing how badly it played. The controller lagged when the stuttering began again. This happened quite a few times rendering the game completely unplayable at times. 30 mins of this was a chore. Play Arkanoid instead. This is another own goal.
f- for the stadia game.
D- for the actual game. It is okay but nothing you would pay money for.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 14th, 2022, 6:31 pm

Asteroids Recharged.

Surprisingly good. I have always like Asteroids but I was always bad with the motions and typically scored 20 000 max. Then game the VCS version where you could rack up the points as it was a lot easier. Then of course my fave Blasteroids. Classic games.

So what is the new version like? Mock vector graphics which impressively feel like the original 1979 game. They have an Asteroids deluxe feel but the game is nowhere near as hard. Like the other Atari recharged you get three versions. 1 life, classic and classic recharged. It is just great how they managed to keep the feel of Asteroids.

Graphics are nothing to right home about but that is not really the point. I wonder if they are going to do a Space Duel Recharged?
A+

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 27th, 2022, 3:24 am

https://stadia.google.com/game/centipede-recharged

What is with the fake vector scan graphics? So a full colour game is now black and white. Hmmm odd. What is good about this game is that it does not try to fix something that is not broken. Graphics are good but when you are coming up against the original game, it is hard to recommend this new version over the superior original. Though it is still playable.
B+

BlasteroidAli

Re: Stadia have a go before it is gone? Atari Recharged

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 9th, 2023, 1:01 pm

Here are my Atari Recharged reviews Critic,

Return to “Now Playing”