Sonic Frontiers (PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic Frontiers (PS5)

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 27th, 2022, 12:10 pm

Well, this one is okay... I guess.

The big "twist" is you can freely explore an expansive island. There are still individual stages which play like the old "speed run" levels.

The game is okay but once again I feel as if Sega has missed the point. Sometimes I feel like everybody in the world knows what a good Sonic game should feel like... except Sega.

CaptainCruch

Re: Sonic Frontiers (PS5)

Postby CaptainCruch » November 28th, 2022, 2:51 am

I just finished the game on Nintendo Switch. I admit, I had to grow on me for a while. In the beginning, I didn't like it, I found it confusing and kind of annoying. However, the longer I played the more I liked it. Yes, it has some old-fashioned 3D platforming, way too much collecting of stuff, an incomprehensible storyline, the usual annoying and childish talking of Sonic and his friends and the 2D "cyber levels" do not control well, but I still liked the game. It just isn't as instant accessible as the classic 2D Sonic games, but I think it's good (not A+ or anything, more like B-/C+). My main criticism (besides too much collecting) is that Sonic Team/Sega did have too many ideas they all wanted to include (like the silly shooter game on computers to "hack"). Next time, I think they need to focus more on the main game and cut back the amount of collecting and (silly) mini-games. Still, I found it a decent entry in the Sonic series (and I think it's better than the overrated Sonic Adventure games).

Return to “Now Playing”