Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Herschie » December 4th, 2022, 10:42 pm

I got smoked again by Dallas, and unfortunately 8-8 was not enough to get me into the wild card.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » February 12th, 2023, 6:10 pm

With football season over in just a few hours, and pitchers & catchers reporting to Spring Training soon, I will be doing a new baseball season. Possibly Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 12th, 2023, 7:00 pm

DialSforSam wrote:With football season over in just a few hours, and pitchers & catchers reporting to Spring Training soon, I will be doing a new baseball season. Possibly Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run.

I wanted to do that with World Series Baseball on the Genesis because I'm a little tired of MLB The Show. Unfortunately I went from having a blast to quickly being bored out of my mind.

Might be time to bust out my Super Nintendo.

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » March 7th, 2023, 3:07 pm

With seeing teams decide to run out the clock in the NFL near the end of games, I decided to see if I could do something similar in NFL2K5 (best football game ever made)...but I'd go a bit further. I wanted to run out the entire SECOND HALF of a game and never let the CPU get the ball at all.

I was the Colts, playing against the Seahawks on All Pro mode. Got the ball on the second half kickoff, and got tackled (on purpose) at the 7 yard line. From there, I just ran the ball nonstop, waiting until the clock was at one second each time. Even if big run possibilities were there, I'd go down just past the first down line. My goal again wasn't to score (I'd already generated a 22-7 lead in the first half), but to run out the clock. Made it just past the midfield stripe as the fourth quarter started. Ran into an issue where I had a 4th and 7...decided to throw a quick slant to Marvin Harrison, and he picked up 8 yards. SHEW. From there I was indeed able to run out the clock, as they used up their time outs to stop the clock but I managed to keep the chains moving. I wound up getting to the Seahawks one yard line as time expired.

The absolute best part was at the end of the game, it always goes to Chris Berman in the studio for second half highlights. He said something to the effect of, "This is where we show all the exciting plays...well, THERE WERE NONE." The screen showed NOTHING and Berman sounded so sad. I laughed for ten minutes straight. AWESOME!!!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » March 7th, 2023, 4:06 pm

RDReynolds wrote:The absolute best part was at the end of the game, it always goes to Chris Berman in the studio for second half highlights. He said something to the effect of, "This is where we show all the exciting plays...well, THERE WERE NONE." The screen showed NOTHING and Berman sounded so sad. I laughed for ten minutes straight. AWESOME!!!

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this! What an incredible detail - one I'd imagine few ever got to see.

Nice find 8-)

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » March 8th, 2023, 6:30 pm

You have no idea how proud I am of making Chris Berman cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DPWi3AX8M

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 13th, 2024, 10:23 pm

Started a 7-game playoff series on NHLPA Hockey 93 on the Genesis. Amazing that this battery still works!

This being an EA sports game from the 90's, the year on the game is one year ahead of when the game was released, and the roster/stats are from the year prior to the year of release. So, it's NHLPA Hockey 93 from 92 with 91 players. Got that?

I'm a Penguins fan, and the Pens won the Stanley Cup in 1991. Gotta be the Penguins, right? Turns out I'm a Penguins fan because Norm Green ripped the heart out of my home state of Minnesota after the 1992-1993 season by moving the North Stars to Dallas. I was never going to cheer for them again. I was already a Steelers fan (another long story), so the Penguins claimed my fandom. As far as I know this is the only hockey video game that has the North Stars in it, so I decided to rep the OG Minnesota team.

If anyone remembers (or cares), this is a North Stars team that had a losing record in the regular season and was the 8 seed in the playoffs. They had a Cinderella run in the cup tournament, defeating the Chicago Blackhawks (the best team in the regular season) in the first round; defeating the St. Louis Blues (the second-best team in the regular season) in the second round; and defeating the defending Stanley Cup champ Edmonton Oilers in the conference finals. They then squared off against the Pittsburgh Penguins for Lord Stanley's Cup.

Their luck ran out in the cup finals, but they did manage to stretch the series to 6 games.

The roster clearly reflects their 8-seed skill level. The game gives the teams a ranking in 9 categories like shooting, passing, skating, checking, goaltending, etc. The highest number is 8 (I think). The North Stars are all 1s & 2s, except a 5 for goaltending and 6 for fighting (nice). They are slow. Mediocre goaltending. One playmaker in Mike Modano and two complementary pieces in Neal Broten and Brian Bellows. Will that be enough?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 15th, 2024, 6:23 pm

It was enough in the first game! The North Stars stunned the Blackhawks in Chicago, 3-2. Neal Broten started the scoring in the 1st period, and we held on to the 1-0 lead until the first intermission. Brian Bellows stuffed home a loose rebound midway through the 2nd period to go up 2-0. Jeremy Roenick schooled my goalie near the end of the 2nd so it was 2-1 going into the 3rd period. Roenick struck again early on the 3rd to tie it at 2-2. Broten found the net once again with about 90 seconds remaining, and the team hung on for dear life until the final buzzer. Great start to the series for the boys in green and black.
Last edited by Breaker on February 17th, 2024, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 15th, 2024, 7:32 pm

Breaker wrote:Jeremy Roenick schooled my goalie near the end of the 2nd so it was 2-1 going into the 3rd period. Roenick struck again early on the 3rd to tie it at 2-2.

Of course the question on everyone's mind is, did you make his head bleed?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 15th, 2024, 8:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Of course the question on everyone's mind is, did you make his head bleed?

Ha! No, not Roenick, and not in that game. But in game 2 I did manage to make Michel Goulet's head bleed. Unfortunately, the Blackhawks were too much for the North Stars in the second game. Again Roenick was the dagger, scoring a hat trick. That was all they needed as only Mike Modano found the back of the net near the end of the 3rd period to avoid the shutout. That was all the scoring, as the final score was Blackhawks 3, North Stars 1.

We will head to Minnesota for game 3 with the series tied at 1 game apiece. There will likely be a change in netminder for Minnesota. Jon Casey gives up way too many rebounds. Hoping for a little better control with Darcy Wakaluk.

Return to “Now Playing”