World Cup USA 94 (Sega CD)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

World Cup USA 94 (Sega CD)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2022, 7:12 pm

I can't get this game to work on my Sega CD model 1. Whenever it starts to play the screen turns blue and it freezes. I would blame the disc but I have two and both are having problems. Next I will try them on the model 2.

It's a shame because the game's intro is awesome. It features some cartoon dog and a rocking Scorpions tune called No Pain No Gain. This song is no joke! I wonder if it's available outside the game?

Matchstick

Re: World Cup USA 94 (Sega CD)

Postby Matchstick » December 6th, 2022, 8:37 pm

My guess would be that your discs are fine.

I know that some Sega CD games have issues launching if the system's internal memory is full. Road Rash is one example - a fact that you noted in your review. I believe the Sega CD can only store save data from four games, regardless of the size of the save files or the amount of free space remaining on the console.

Since EA published both FIFA and Road Rash, I'd wager you're dealing with the same save data issue. Try deleting some save data from the internal memory and trying again. No promises, but it's worth a shot!

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 6th, 2022, 9:18 pm

I recently stuck this in on my Polymega and had no problems. My Sega CD model 2 a lot of problems playing certain discs.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 7th, 2022, 10:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's a shame because the game's intro is awesome. It features some cartoon dog and a rocking Scorpions tune called No Pain No Gain. This song is no joke! I wonder if it's available outside the game?

It's on their Face the Heat album from 1993 and was also released as a single.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 8th, 2022, 10:56 am

Matchstick - good suggestion about clearing the memory. Didn't work though. Next I'll try my Sega CD model 2.

Stalvern - thanks for the Scorpions info. I want to pick up that album.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 8th, 2022, 3:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I can't get this game to work on my Sega CD model 1. Whenever it starts to play the screen turns blue and it freezes. I would blame the disc but I have two and both are having problems. Next I will try them on the model 2.

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/genesis ... s-sega-cd/

I have one of those, and it work on the Genesis whether you have the Sega CD or not.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 8th, 2022, 5:59 pm

It works on my Sega CD model 2.

Also, I finally looked in the manual which explains what all these hard-to-discern icons that make up the menus mean. Hell, if they just used the same text as in the manual, it would have been so much better. But apparently someone on the development team insisted on making the options "universal" icons, meaning that instead of English speaking people understanding it, no one can. Much better.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 8th, 2022, 9:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Matchstick - good suggestion about clearing the memory. Didn't work though.

Heh, I feel like I'm about 1-for-4 on repair advice I've given you on these boards :P

I, too, have a Model 2 Sega CD, and have never had any problems with it reading discs. Even cheap Verbatim CD-Rs play well, while my Dreamcast refuses to read them at all.

I actually had the choice of a Model 1 or Model 2 when I bought my Sega CD, and even though I had a Model 1 Genesis at the time, I still went with the Model 2. I'd heard it had less issues with certain games and better long-term results with its save battery. Who knows, but all I can say it that mine still works like a champ!

matmico399 wrote:My Sega CD model 2 a lot of problems playing certain discs.

As much as I love it, I know it's only a matter of time before mine starts giving me trouble, as well.

Man, I don't know what I'd do. My current Genesis Model 2 (Revision 3) and Model 2 Sega CD combo are, by far, the crown jewels of my retro collection. I play them often, and always have a great time.

I've recently posted about the long-term prospects of old tech, and weighing my options when it comes to things like replacing capacitors and in-depth motherboard repairs. While I certainly don't plan on doing that for every console I own, I think I would go out of my way to save the Sega CD when the time comes. We'll see...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 9th, 2022, 11:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:It works on my Sega CD model 2.

Nice! I look forward to the review. Are you pairing it with the FIFA game, which also hasn't been reviewed yet?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2022, 4:57 pm

Matchstick - sounds like the solution is to get a Polymega! I wonder if the availability has improved?

As for this soccer game, has any one been able to properly play it? It's so frantic!

Return to “Now Playing”