Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 18th, 2023, 10:47 pm

I hope this is an unnecessary warning, but better safe than sorry: THIS THREAD IS TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME, NOT ANY OF THE CONTROVERSIES SURROUNDING IT OR JK ROWLING.

This was my only Must Play game this year (that I can think of, anyway) so I picked it up on Friday and have clocked in about 10 hours of playtime. So far, it's been a very mixed bag.

First off, the gameplay is fine. Not outstanding, but perfectly functional. I do think the combat is a little too hectic, especially when you have to fight multiple enemies at once. Hogwarts itself is both surprisingly small and really hard to navigate. The castle is full of twisting hallways and staircases and even after playing for ten hours I can't navigate without using the spell that draws a line between you and your objective. But I guess that's more or less on brand. The game tries to make up for the school being so small by giving you the entire countryside to run around in. While it admittedly is cool to explore Hogsmeade and the Forbidden Forest, can anyone truthfully say they bought this game to NOT be at Hogwarts?

Speaking of which, the game really got off on the wrong foot by not letting you go to Diagon Alley for school supplies or ride the Hogwarts Express. This game is supposed to be pure nostalgia fuel for people who grew up with Harry Potter (like me) so why would you go out of your way to cut out two of the most iconic experiences? And what twisted sociopath decided to make a game about the Hogwarts experience AND NOT LET YOU PLAY QUIDDITCH?!

Bottom line, it's a decent game so far, but I really think they could have done more to make Hogwarts feel more like Hogwarts.

DrLitch

Re: Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)

Postby DrLitch » March 21st, 2023, 10:02 pm

I have never read the books or found any of the films my cup of tea so this game was never going to be one that would strongly appeal to me. I watched a couple of review videos, and they were largely positive about the game. It does look like a fairly well-made open world title. My only complaint looking at it is the game seems quite dark and not very vibrant. Reminds me a bit of Forspoken and Elden Ring. Quite dreary. I wonder if PS3 era graphical choices are making a comeback.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 21st, 2023, 10:12 pm

Another thing that's bugging me is how they handle classes. I was expecting it to be something like in Persona or maybe Bully, where you have a day to day schedule that requires you to go to classes at certain times. Instead it treats classes like missions, and you can just go do it whenever you feel like it. Again, as part of a video game it works well enough, but it doesn't make me feel like a Hogwarts student.

In fact, being able to dress into whatever ridiculous outfit the game has provided me with while everyone else is limited to Hogwarts student uniforms, and my apparent privilege of being able to not go to class, I don't feel like I'm a student at this school at all. The fact that I'm as skilled with magic as the evil adult wizards running around the outside the school (seriously, why are they being allowed to do that?) makes me wonder why I'm being forced to go to school at all...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 22nd, 2023, 5:43 pm

I concur with most of these observations. The game is first-class in terms of presentation. It looks amazing and plays like a dream.

I love the idea of being able to freely explore Hogwarts, but it doesn't really have the same feel as the movies (which I love). And I agree not being able to visit Diagon Alley is a shame.

Still, it's hard to find fault with what's here. The game does a good job of balancing structure with freedom. There are quests that further the story, but you can do them on your own schedule.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 22nd, 2023, 6:28 pm

I honestly wonder if playing through Far Cry 5 before this was a mistake, since they both share a lot in terms of the open world and gameplay structure. Maybe I just burned myself out of this type of gameplay without knowing it.

Return to “Now Playing”