Indiana Jones Games

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Indiana Jones Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2023, 10:43 pm

With the new movie upon us, Dial of Destiny, I figured it would be a good time to shore up my old Indiana Jones reviews. After all, some of these reviews are decades old. Here's my experience so far.

Young Indiana Jones (NES) - this is a new review for a pretty rare game. The cart alone cost me near $100 but I heard it was pretty good. It is, but boy it is hard. Just getting past the opening stages is a bear. You have to memorize the layouts and execute perfectly. Nice production values.

Indiana Jones Trilogy (SNES) - I took this for granted back in the day, but now I'm starting to appreciate this game that covers the original trilogy. Using the Super Star Wars engine, this is some prime 16-bit platform action, although you can expect all the typical annoyances like fluttering birds, crumbling floors, and falling stalactites. Some of the "special" stages, like the mine cart ride, look amazing.

Young Indiana Jones (Genesis) - what the hell happened here. The fluid whip looks good, I guess, but I'm being pushed around the screen by birds and psychotic monkeys. I'm supposed to climb ropes while everything is trying to kill me?

JohanOberg

Re: Indiana Jones Games

Postby JohanOberg » May 29th, 2023, 9:55 am

You should try Young Indiana Jones on NES, it's a competent action platformer by Jaleco.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2023, 12:03 pm

Dag, in the past my Indiana Jones reviews have been SEVERE. Any of these games you think might deserve a little mercy?

https://videogamecritic.com/extras/themes/indy.htm

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » May 29th, 2023, 12:20 pm

Wow, only the Trilogy on the SNES was the closest thing to capturing the atmosphere of the movies and give effective gameplay. How ironic that later games just couldn't cut it, especially with "better" hardware. Go figure.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2023, 2:42 pm

I'm playing the SNES Indiana Jones, and I don't think my current review is far off.

The production values are FANTASTIC, with great animation, awe-inspiring stages, and an outstanding musical score. The special stages are jaw-dropping to this day.

But the gameplay is NAUSEATING, with objects falling on your head and little creatures constantly nipping on your heels. The Cairo stage does remind me of Aladdin.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 30th, 2023, 7:30 am

I thought the lego Indiana Jones game was pretty fun.

I don't think you've reviewed that critic?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 30th, 2023, 11:02 am

I have fond memories of playing the better Taito version of "Last Crusade" after TGIF and frozen yogurt as a kid. There was a TCBY right next to the Blockbuster, so my mom would take me there after renting a couple games and movies. To this day, I don't think it was bad at all, as the cutscenes had incredible graphics, and the music was fantastic. Doesn't help though that I can beat the game in five minutes.

"Greatest Adventures" on SNES is fun too. It's almost worth dying just to see Sean Connery give you that look and say, "I've lost him!".

"Infernal Machine" on N64 I tried my best to get into, but just can't.

I guess I should order "Emperor's Tomb"?

Return to “Now Playing”