Alone in the Dark: Prologue (PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Alone in the Dark: Prologue (PS5)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 27th, 2023, 12:04 pm

Since the Alone in the Dark remake is coming out this October, THQ has released a short playable teaser to get us interested. And when I say short, I mean SHORT. It took me less than ten minutes to "beat," and I'm not even sure its accurate to say I "won" it.

You play as a little red haired girl named Grace in the infamous Derceto mansion who has to mail a letter for her paranoid...uncle? Brother? Cousin? I don't think they say. You'll move her through a total of six rooms and then it ends. While a couple monsters do appear, you're not in any danger from them. A couple locked doors and a single quick time event are the only things that could be considered obstacles. The game does look nice, and it was pretty creepy when the mansion abruptly took on its corrupted form, but a game has to do more than LOOK scary to be a good horror game (hear that, Blooberteam?). Frankly, if the prologue is indicative of what the full game is going to be like, Alone in the Dark is shaping up to be just another boring walking simulator with the occasional spoOoOoOky thing happening, a la Layers of Fear. And if it's not, they should have put some of the more interesting stuff in it because while I was fairly optimistic going in, coming out I can't work up any enthusiasm about giving them my money.

To those of you taking notes, that is the OPPOSITE of what a demo should do.

Crummylion

Re: Alone in the Dark: Prologue (PS5)

Postby Crummylion » May 27th, 2023, 8:27 pm

I feel like it's trying to be like P.T. and the Resident Evil 7 demo, where you have an idea of how the game would feel and the people in it, but the actual meat would be in the full game. I wasn't impressed though, as the scares were underwhelming and it struggled to be scary. I even laughed at how tone deaf the game was. I'm almost convinced this game is trying to be more like OG Resident Evil than the remakes, where it wants to be campy. But even then, the RE games managed to do both perfectly well.

Stalvern

Re: Alone in the Dark: Prologue (PS5)

Postby Stalvern » June 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am

Definitely sounds like a P.T. wannabe, and anything comparable to Bloober Team's BS gets a hard pass from me. How does this brand keep on scraping along? In thirty years, there hasn't been a single installment besides the original that anyone's cared about, with the possible exception of The New Nightmare (which was over twenty years ago). At least there's no way this can be as pathetic as Illumination.

Return to “Now Playing”