The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
newmodelarmy

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)

Postby newmodelarmy » June 3rd, 2023, 10:42 am

Herschie wrote:Now that I've I've had more of a chance to play, I got bored of this game rather quickly. It's too much like Breath of the Wild, a game I was already sort of over. I really wish they'd have gone in an entirely new direction with this one. Another classic Zelda, one like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess would have been welcome.

I totally get it. I have been playing off an on since it came out and generally enjoy it. However, there is so much that is like BOTW that I feel like I have already played this game. That said, there is a ton to do (almost too much) and lots of things to discover. I am going to stick with it...for now! Is the VGC playing this?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 3rd, 2023, 6:12 pm

Herschie wrote:Now that I've I've had more of a chance to play, I got bored of this game rather quickly. It's too much like Breath of the Wild, a game I was already sort of over. I really wish they'd have gone in an entirely new direction with this one. Another classic Zelda, one like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess would have been welcome.

Have you made it to Rito village and completed portions of the main story? That whole mountain sky quest felt like one giant classic dungeon.

Also, as a tip do a few of the main missions to get something that makes gliding possible. It makes travel much, much easier.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 4th, 2023, 11:42 pm

Well I cannot take Tears of the Kingdom anymore. Perhaps I will go back to it sometime in future if Diablo 4, Final Fantasy 16 or Starfield end up being duds. Quite honestly my experience with Elden Ring has somewhat marred my experience of Tear of the Kingdom. Elden Ring really moved the bar on action RPG's for me. Tears of the Kingdom combat is meh. Story is meh. Lore is meh. I did enjoy the shrines and puzzles though. The crafting is cool and I see how people might like that (not something that appealing to me). I cannot be bothered to complete Tear of the Kingdom. I felt the same with Horizon Forbidden West. Put the hard yards and hours in but faced a hard crash. From genuine love to loathing in one stroke.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 13th, 2023, 1:11 am

Ok, I finally got to the first level, and now this game is gaining a bit of traction. But it was a tedious process. It took a little more than entering a cave, then going 1 screen east, 4 screens north, and 1 screen west over the bridge. Noooo, this took a LOT of climbing, and a LOT of paragliding, and LOT of warping when I messed it all up and fell!

I'd have to say that the actual process of getting there was one of the worst experiences I've had in Zelda. No, I didn't throw my controller, because unlike back in the day when both the NES controller and the CRT TV I threw it at would remain in perfect condition, I'd have to grab both a new monitor, and a new controller. And hope the wife doesn't see the credit card charges. An old trick I use at the liquor store!

In any case, I'm happy that I'm finally having some fun with this.

Oh, and it's Zelda, so I'm not going to give up on it as quickly like I would with "Demon's Souls" or "God of War: Ragnarök". There were some tedious parts in TOTK, but I figured the fun would be in there somewhere.

Remember how "Twilight Princess" got off to a rather slow start?
Last edited by Herschie on June 13th, 2023, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 2nd, 2023, 1:23 pm

I am really struggling with this game. It's all about crafting and I just can't wrap my mind around the interface that lets you fuse stuff together. I think it's very unwieldy and non-intuitive.

I will stick with it, but this have the making of being the Majora's Mask of modern Zelda games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 2nd, 2023, 4:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I am really struggling with this game. It's all about crafting and I just can't wrap my mind around the interface that lets you fuse stuff together. I think it's very unwieldy and non-intuitive.

I will stick with it, but this have the making of being the Majora's Mask of modern Zelda games.

A couple of tips that worked for me.

1. Skip trying to kill every enemy you see.

2. Focus on the shrines to gain stamina and hearts.

3. Do the main quest story lines . At a minimum do Rito.

For the fusing tips think of it this way. You can fuse to either your shield or sword/stick hand.

When you kill something it may drop a part that can be fused. Collect it. Look in your items and sort by type using the Y button. Sort until fuse is your sort order. Select the fuse item with the biggest number. Hold it and then drop it on the ground. Now fuse it to your stick or sword. Tada, now you have a more powerful sword.

At a minimum always keep at least one fused rock weapon to break up ore.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 2nd, 2023, 5:21 pm

Also, find the bananas in the south east part of the map. Cook up five of them for a 3x attack multiplier. Keep several on hand for the boss battles or large groups of enemies.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 3rd, 2023, 4:21 pm

About a week ago, I witnessed my wife rage-quit this game. Very rare, considering that I don't think I've ever seen her do something like that in the ten-plus years we've been together!

I don't even think she was fighting a boss or doing anything too intense, just building some sort of contraption. Whatever it was, it wasn't working, leading to an animated moment of, "Effff this, I'm done."

VideoGameCritic wrote:...I just can't wrap my mind around the interface... I think it's very unwieldy and non-intuitive.

That's been my thought the entire time I've been watching her play the game!

The wife has assured me that you get used to it after a while, but when's the last time you played a first-party Nintendo game that was like that? Aren't they supposed to be the ones that make games for everyone??

I think that the game - and the modern take on Zelda, in general - just isn't for me. And that's OK.

The game served its purpose. It kept the wife busy while I was away for a while, and she got a pretty sweet fanny pack out of it from Target, so... even if she never plays it again, I'm calling this one a draw.

I think she likes the fanny pack better than the game itself, though - which really says it all :lol:

FP.jpg
FP.jpg (326.46 KiB) Viewed 747 times

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 4th, 2023, 2:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I will stick with it, but this have the making of being the Majora's Mask of modern Zelda games.

This could be taken as a positive given Majora's Mask is considered by many to be the greatest of all Zelda's :D. But i get what you are saying. Wait until you run around Hyrule again. Tears of the Kingdom could be renamed Tears of the Boredom. At least in Majora's Mask Clock Town was not a redesigned Hyrule Market and Termina was not a cut paste of Hyrule Field. Reused character assets was the least of it's crimes.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2023, 4:21 pm

The map in this game is worthless!!!

Return to “Now Playing”