EA WRC (Electronic Arts: Sports: World Rally Championship)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Buttermancan

EA WRC (Electronic Arts: Sports: World Rally Championship)

Postby Buttermancan » November 19th, 2023, 10:34 am

As the spiritual successor to Dirt Rally 2.0, EA's WRC 23 had a lot to live up to in my opinion. I ordered the title before it was released which is something I never do and don't recommend doing but my excitement for its release was high. Nearly all the previews I'd seen impressed me and I wanted more Codemasters rallying. Many people including myself have been worrying that Codemasters being acquired by EA would lead to the game being broken and filled with micro transactions and loot boxes. Thankful there aren't micro transactions but there are plenty of bugs. At launch the game was terribly optimised and on PS5 there were frame drops galore and screen tearing made an appearance at every opportunity. Thankfully several patches have been released and have made a substantial improvement but the title still had some way to go before it's afully stable experience. Having said this, I still enjoy and recommend the game with both thumbs up as its pure fun.
I've realised over the last couple of years that the racing genre is where I get most of my instant gratification from. You can play for 10 mins or hours on end.
Last edited by Buttermancan on November 19th, 2023, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: EA WRC 23

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2023, 10:40 am

Butterman - you just triggered one of my pet peeves. You need to spell out acronyms - ESPECIALLY in the subject! Drives me crazy man!

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » November 19th, 2023, 12:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Butterman - you just triggered one of my pet peeves. You need to spell out acronyms - ESPECIALLY in the subject! Drives me crazy man!

I've changed the subject title but the game is called 'EA WRC', it's what's printed on the game box and that's why I put it as the title. For clarification I could've said that it's a Rally game but I was just giving my impressions on the 'Now Playing' forum and didn't think that it was very important to be really precise.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 19th, 2023, 7:00 pm

To people aware of the World Rally Championship, it's almost always just abbreviated just like NASCAR is.

While not the mouthful that the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing would be, WRC is pretty dominant both in print form and verbal form just like those that you're more familiar with like the NHL and NFL.

But in an American-centric forum, I agree that it couldn't hurt to spell out WRC when the sport doesn't have the popularity and awareness that it does elsewhere. We've not even had an American rally here in many years and most of Sony's WRC titles during the PS2 years sadly skipped North America past the first one (we've had better luck since then with domestic releases, although WRC 1 & 2 from Milestone on the PS3 were digital exclusives here and WRC 1-4 from them skipped the 360 entirely without even digital releases).

Quick_Man

Re: EA WRC (Electronic Arts: Sports: World Rally Championship)

Postby Quick_Man » November 19th, 2023, 7:48 pm

I spent many hours absolutely loving Dirt Rally 2.0 so this game has definitely been on my radar. I like arcade rally games too but there's something so exciting about cranking the simulation up in these games and risking ripping a wheel off on some random rock at every corner. I'm hearing good things from friends and content creators who loved Dirt Rally 2.0 as well so I'm definitely going to be picking it up soon.

And, yeah, strange that rally isn't too popular in the US. I guess you guys being one of the more nationalistic places on Earth really stick to your home-grown racing like NASCAR or Indy. Even Formula One has taken a loooong time to get its claws in.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 26th, 2023, 10:56 pm

I played an earlier version of this, and found the controls to be wonky. As Critic mentioned in his review of "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo Kazooie", running into walls is NOT fun: https://videogamecritic.com/mobile/360snz.htm?s=3#rev3868

How are the controls in this one?

Buttermancan wrote:I've realised over the last couple of years that the racing genre is where I get most of my instant gratification from. You can play for 10 mins or hours on end.

Absolutely! I love putting on some house music and playing racing games. Just hope my boss doesn't find out that I do it on company time!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 28th, 2023, 12:32 pm

Quick_Man wrote:And, yeah, strange that rally isn't too popular in the US. I guess you guys being one of the more nationalistic places on Earth really stick to your home-grown racing like NASCAR or Indy. Even Formula One has taken a loooong time to get its claws in.

I think the main reason is that Americans have a hard time with the racers essentially taking turns going through the courses. A race without neck-and-neck fighting for position is boring to a country whose most popular motorsport is nothing but that.

But to be fair, they probably don't like the English commentators either.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Butterman - you just triggered one of my pet peeves. You need to spell out acronyms - ESPECIALLY in the subject! Drives me crazy man!

You've triggered one of my pet peeves – calling abbreviations acronyms.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 7th, 2023, 5:49 am

WTF I thought you had a GSOH about these things, IMHO it makes no difference, though you may not agree, LMFAO. etc

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 7th, 2023, 9:50 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:

WTF I thought you had a GSOH about these things, IMHO it makes no difference, though you may not agree, LMFAO. etc

Now I'm REALLY PO'ed!!

Return to “Now Playing”