Retro Sports Center

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Breaker

Re: Retro Sports Center

Postby Breaker » February 16th, 2024, 2:11 pm

Brian Bellows and Darcy Wakaluk were the heroes for the North Stars in game 3. Bellows scored twice and Wakaluk held Roenick of the board completely and only gave up one goal. Neal Broten added an insurance goal in the third, for a final score of 3-1.

Chris Dahlquist should get an honorable mention, as well - he made Chris Chelios' head bleed in the 2nd period, and then defeated Steve Smith in a fight in the 3rd period.

Taking game 3 in Minnesota has the North Stars thinking about an upset!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 16th, 2024, 2:12 pm

I think many of us are finding out just how much damn FUN hockey games are! Just picked up NHL 2K on Dreamcast, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 16th, 2024, 8:09 pm

Michel Goulet, Steve Smith and Chris Chelios each beat Darcy Wakaluk in game 3. Goals by Neal Broten and Jim Johnson kept the North Stars in the game, but Chicago evened the series at 2 games each after winning game 4 in Minnesota by a final score of 3-2.

Jon Casey will be back in net for game 5 for the North Stars.

It's surprising how much more difficult this game is than the later NHL games that have one-timers. I've scored more by passing the puck right at the goaltender than on actual wrist- or slap-shots. The Blackhawks are so good at pouncing on rebounds that it can be frustrating.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 16th, 2024, 11:01 pm

Game by game updates are probably getting old (especially for the 3 people even reading these).

Game 5: Jon Casey held the Blackhawks to 2 goals, while Broten scored twice, and Modano and Bellows once each. Mark Tinordi beat Steve Smith to a pulp. 4 to 2 victory for Minnesota, and a 3 games to 2 lead in the series.

Game 6: Back in Chicago. Even though Brian Bellows scored twice and made Steve Larmer's head bleed, the game was tied at 3 at the end of regulation. Roenick scored in overtime to give the Blackhawks a 4 to 3 win and send the series to a game 7.

Game 7: The North Stars defense suffocated the Blackhawks, holding them to 7 shots on goal. Mike Modano scored with 1:07 left in the game, and Jon Casey finished the shutout, sending the Blackhawks home for the offseason and propelling Minnesota on to face Detroit in the second round.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 17th, 2024, 2:40 pm

I'm fighting off a head cold this weekend, so I've basically been planted on the couch with a Genesis controller in my hand.

The Redwing's front line is just as good as the Blackhawk's, and their defensemen are studs (their Defense rating is a 9). The biggest difference is in goal, as Chicago's Ed Belfour is quite a bit better than Detroit's Tim Cheveldae. Detroit has nothing lower than a 7 rating, with three 8s and a 9.

Here's the summary of the second round...

Game 1 was a tight, low-scoring contest. Nobody scored until the 3rd period, and the teams swapped goals in the last 2 minute of regulation. Steve Yzerman netted the OT winner, helping Detroit take the first game in Minnesota.

Game 2 felt like a must-have game for the North Stars as we didn't want to head to Detroit down 2 games to none. Ray Shepard put up a hat trick, but Neal Broten and Mike Modano both scored 2 goals. Minnesota won game two by a final score of 4-3.

Game 3 was the Mike Modano hit parade. He scored in each period for the hat trick and made Yzerman bleed from the head in a 4-1 Minnesota win. The North Stars hold a 2 game to 1 series lead.

Game 4 featured a Blackhawks team that was determined to even the series. Within the first 3 minutes Steve Yzerman and Paul Ysebaert each scored, and I was considering replacing Jon Casey with Darcy Wakaluk in goal. Defenseman Mark Tinordi scored his first playoff goal with less than 10 seconds to go in the 1st period, giving the North Stars some momentum heading into intermission. Brian Bellows capitalized on sloppy defense by the Redwings and netted two consecutive goals early in the second period, and the wheels came off for Detroit. Neal Broten scored near the end of the 2nd period, and Defensman Chris Dahlquist got his first playoff goal midway through the 3rd period while Jon Casey shut the door after those two early goals. The North Stars breezed to a 5-2 win and a commanding 3 games to 1 series lead.

Game 5 featured Darcy Wakaluk in goal for the North Stars. I felt some rest would be good for Jon Casey, and with the 3-1 edge in the series this was a good chance to take. Paul Ysebaert scored twice and Steve Yzerman added another goal for the Redwings. But this was the Mike Modano reprise as he put together his second hat trick of the series and led Minnesota to a 4-3 win, taking the series 4 games to 1. Modano scored 9 goals in the 5 game series.

The North Stars will be facing the Winnipeg Jets in the conference finals. They are a solid team, but I feel like we've already faced two of the toughest teams. Here's hoping our offense can stay hot and our defense can continue to snuff out the Jets offense.

I might try to do something constructive now so I don't feel like a total waste on this cold but sunny Saturday.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 18th, 2024, 8:03 pm

Conference Finals against Winnipeg!

Game 1 was all North Stars. Neal Broten and Mike Modano had two goals each and Jon Casey played well in net. An easy 5-1 Minnesota win.

Game 2 started slow for both teams, but Brian Bellows scored late in the first period. Then Neal Broten scored in both the second and third periods. Once again Jon Casey played well. The North Stars jump out to a 2 game lead in the series with a 3-1 win.

Game 3 featured a familiar name opening the scoring, as Neal Broten got his 5th goal in the series in the first period, but Mike Modano was sick of hearing Broten's name on the PA system. Modano stepped up and delivered a hat trick as the North Stars won 4-2, and took a huge 3-0 series last.

Game 4 featured the Jets roaring back. Evgeny Davydov beat Jon Casey twice, and both Eddie Olczyk and Phil Housley added goals. Winnipeg avoided the sweep and forced game five with a 4-1 win.

Game 5 was tense all the way through. The North Stars went with Darcy Wakaluk after Casey allowed 4 goals in game 4. Thomas Steen scored twice for the Jets, but his goals were answered by Chris Dahlquist and Neal Broten. The game went to overtime tied at 2. Mike Modano scored the game winner less than 10 seconds in to OT. The North Stars took the conference finals 4 games to 1.

The Washington Capitals defeated the Boston Bruins in the other conference, so it will be the Capitals and North Stars squaring off for the Stanley Cup. Winnipeg was certainly a step below the Blackhawks and the Redwings, but I fear the Capitals will be just as tough as though two. Goalie Don Beaupre rates lower than Bob Essesna, so I'm hoping if I hit him with enough shots I can bury some rebounds and hang with the Capitals.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 20th, 2024, 7:16 pm

Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals versus Minnesota North Stars

Game 1 was ALL Capitals. After I took a shot at Don Beaupre in the last update, he promptly locked the North Stars down and handed us our first shutout of the playoffs. To throw a little salt in the wound, former North Star captain Dino Ciccarelli dropped a hat trick on Jon Casey, and Washington won going away, 4-0.

Game 2 featured a tight game that was never firmly in the control of either team. Once again, Dino Ciccarelli got his old team, scoring the tying goal in the 3rd period, and the gamewinner in overtime. Final score was 3-2, Capitals win and take a 2 games to 0 series lead.

Game 3 was again the Dino Ciccarelli show, as he put together another hat trick, but current North Stars captain Mike Modano answered the bell with a hat trick of his own. The North Stars had more helpers, and avoided going down 3 games to none with a 5-4 win.

Game 4 was another see-saw battle that featured all the big names tallying goals: Mike Ridley, Neal Broten, Mike Modano, Kevin Hatcher, Dmitri Kristich, Brian Bellows. But, of course, the dagger came off the stick of none other than Dino Ciccarelli. In overtime, again, for another Washington win at 4-3. Desparate times for the North Stars. Capitals have a 3 games to 1 least in the series, and game 5 is in Washington.

Game 5 was a defensive battle with no scoring until late in the second period. Mike Ridley found the net to pin the North Stars down 1-0 going into 3rd period. Neal Broten scored less than 10 second into the 3rd to even the game. He scored again a minute later to take the lead. Brian Bellows followed to give the North Stars their first 2 goal lead of the series. The Capitals did not appreciate that, and on back-to-back faceoffs made Broten and then Bellows bleed from their heads. Dave Ganger and Ulf Dahlen stepped in and held the line for the last 2:20, and Minnesota held off elimination in game 5. 3-1 Minnesota win.

Game 6 was the first game where the North Stars finally got the better of Don Beaupre. Brian Bellows scored 2 goals, and Neal Broten, Mike Modano and Mark Tinordi added one each. 5-2 Minnesota win.

Does it get better than a game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals? Once again, the big names came ready to shine. Dino Ciccarelli scored 2 more goals, bringing his total in the series to 12; Mike Modano answered with 2 more goals of his own, for a series total of 8. And once again it came down to the supporting cast...Dino was left on his own, while Neal Broten and Brian Bellows added goals, and Chris Dahlquist tacked on an empty net goal, wrapping up a 5-2 North Stars win, and bringing home the franchise's 1st Stanley Cup.

Overall, this game is much tougher than later NHL games on the Genesis, especially if you choose a team that has a "2" overall ranking! But, man, it's fun. I feel like if I chose one of the top teams, every series would have been a 4 or 5 game series. Battling back from 3 games to 1 deficit in the finals definitely added tension!

If you've got the patience to play the rebound game, this one can offer a lot of fun.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 20th, 2024, 8:00 pm

Breaker wrote:I fear I'm going to drive people nuts on this thread with constant posts, but...

I saw my post from shortly after this thread started...I guess I proved myself right. I think I'm responsible for 50 of the 128 (39%!) posts here. I'll stop now. At least for a little while.

DialSforSam

Postby DialSforSam » February 21st, 2024, 5:36 pm

Breaker wrote:
Breaker wrote:I fear I'm going to drive people nuts on this thread with constant posts, but...

I saw my post from shortly after this thread started...I guess I proved myself right. I think I'm responsible for 50 of the 128 (39%!) posts here. I'll stop now. At least for a little while.

Had my own run sometime ago where it was just me posting Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for the SNES. Might start up a season of Tecmo Super Baseball soon.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 2nd, 2024, 2:10 pm

Played the Canon Greater Hartford Open at TPC River Highlands on PGA Tour Golf III on Genesis. I played four players [Jeff Maggert (long story), Danny Noonan (Mr. Scholarship winner), James Bond (love those movies) & my own name] through the tourney, which is something I do often.

The computer players tend to put up a pretty good fight until about 14 under or so. Lee Janzen played very well this tournament and scored 17 under. I have played truly hundreds of rounds on this cart, and the opening round featured something I had never accomplished: back-to-back hole-in-ones. James Bond and I both aced hole 11. The 11th hole was very generous throughout the tourney, as Maggert aced it in the 3rd round as well.

I was tied with Maggert for the lead going into the 17th hole on a Sunday. JM scored a birdie, and put the pressure on me for the 18th. I was unable to match him, and he took 1st with 24 under. My players finished in the Top 4 positions (well, James Bond was tied for 4th with Lee Janzen).

Love this game. A+ candidate on the Genesis, IMHO.

Return to “Now Playing”