Thunder Force III vs. IV (Sega Ages Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
CaptainCruch

Thunder Force III vs. IV (Sega Ages Switch)

Postby CaptainCruch » March 2nd, 2024, 6:19 am

So, I downloaded the Sega Ages edition of Thunder Force III and Thunder Force IV (aka Lightening Force) in the Switch eshop, because they were on sale.
Thunder Force III seemed hard a first, but by using the 'Kids' mode and a little bit of practice I got a lot better and started liking the game a lot more.

Thunder Force IV on the other hand... Great visuals and music, but the game is way too darn hard! Even by using the Kids Mode and using save states (like every 15 seconds) I cannot finish the game. The game doesn't feel fair at all, so I find it hard to enjoy. Therefore I can only recommend Part III. How do you guys feel about Thunder Force IV?

Quick_Man

Re: Thunder Force III vs. IV (Sega Ages Switch)

Postby Quick_Man » March 2nd, 2024, 10:15 am

I do enjoy Thunder Force IV more than III but it's not a huge gap. I think the more difficult gameplay is more suited to me as someone who is pretty into hard shoot 'em ups, and the graphics seem to be a slight step up (although III is still a beautiful game). For me, the ultimate deciding factor is the soundtrack - Thunder Force IV is up there with games like Streets of Rage 2 as perfect examples of how if you got a sound team that truly knew what they were doing, then there was simply NOTHING that sounded as good as the Mega Drive.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 2nd, 2024, 1:36 pm

IV all the way.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 3rd, 2024, 6:12 am

Quick_Man wrote:. I think the more difficult gameplay is more suited to me as someone who is pretty into hard shoot 'em ups, and the graphics seem to be a slight step up (although III is still a beautiful game). For me, the ultimate deciding factor is the soundtrack - Thunder Force IV is up there with games like Streets of Rage 2 as perfect examples of how if you got a sound team that truly knew what they were doing, then there was simply NOTHING that sounded as good as the Mega Drive.

I agree Thunder Force IV is visually and audiowise excellent. However, as said the gameplay is way too hard. Actually, I even think it's borderline unfair; sometimes it's not even clear what hit you.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 7th, 2024, 10:51 am

I also prefer the easier and simpler Thunder Force III to Lightening Force/Thunderforce IV.

Return to “Now Playing”