Crow Country (PS5)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Crow Country (PS5)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 22nd, 2024, 6:00 pm

I just played through the free demo of Crow Country, and while I wouldn't say I'm 100% invested, I am interested in playing through the rest someday. The full game is only $20 and can be beaten in a few hours, so I may as well, right?

Crow Country is obviously a homage to PS1 era survival horror games, but the blocky, almost Lego-esque character models remind me more of Final Fantasy 7 than Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

It's 1990, and you play as a cop investigating an abandoned amusement park, only to find out it's full of monsters. Combat reminds me of Resident Evil 4, where pressing R1 brings out your gun and you aim it with the right stick while standing immobile. The arrow buttons feature classic survival horror tank controls, while the thumbstick has a more modern control scheme. You view your character from a downward-angled perspective, but you can freely rotate the camera, which I appreciate, but horror purists may not like since it keeps it from having the dramatic fixed camera angles RE and SH were famous for.

The game (at least the hour or so that's included in the demo) is surprisingly easy. Not only are medkits and ammo lying around everywhere, you can also backtrack to your car to fully stock up on ammo whenever you want. This leads to the game feeling spooky (the park does look really cool) but never legitimately scary.

I'm also worried about the game's structure. After I rescued an injured trespasser, I went back to my car to restock on ammo, at which point the policewoman and the trespasser began talking about something that hadn't happened yet. It's not a huge deal if it only happens this one time, but these are the types of screwups that, if it turns into a common thing, could lead to bugs that cause the player to skip entire sections of the game.

Still, first impressions were largely positive. I'm sure I'll be revisiting this once I have a little spare money to burn.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Crow Country (PS5)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2024, 11:20 pm

It's weird, but I find the PS1-era polygon imagery strangely appealing. Am I the only one?

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Crow Country (PS5)

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 23rd, 2024, 7:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's weird, but I find the PS1-era polygon imagery strangely appealing. Am I the only one?

I've been thinking about this lately myself. The best horror is subtle, and ever since gaming went hi-def, it's been incapable of subtlety. With how expensive and time consuming it is to make new games with today's cutting edge graphics, it only makes financial sense to put as much of that money on the screen as possible.

Back in the PS1 days, it was the opposite. When your graphics naturally look like you're watching the game through a frosted shower panel, forcing your players to look too close at the game for too long could actually lessen their immersion. Even the more in-your-face games like Resident Evil are downright tame compared to what we're getting today. So your quiet, subtle horror like Silent Hill was much easier to pull off.

Return to “Now Playing”