Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 19th, 2024, 10:09 pm

Ever since Sea of Thieves turned out to be a disappointment, I've been looking for a good pirate game, and I haven't seen a single one be recommended half as many times as Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Not being a fan of the AC series, I've resisted trying this game until now. For the first couple of hours I was rolling my eyes as I went through the same basic Assassin's Creed routine I've seen in every other AC game I've played, but then it finally gave me a ship and set me loose in the ocean. At that point it stopped being Assassin's Creed and became something more like Grand Theft Boat, with me sailing around, free to explore my ship and any islands I came across, and of course sink and loot whatever other ships that were unlucky enough to cross my path. Switching between controlling your assassin to controlling your ship is just as intuitive as it is in Sea of Thieves, and I especially like how you can fire your cannons without giving up control of the ship.

TLDR: when it's a pirate game, it's great. When it's an Assassin's Creed game, it's an Assassin's Creed game.

Return to “Now Playing”