Elden Ring DLC

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Elden Ring DLC

Postby DrLitch » June 22nd, 2024, 4:19 pm

Forty bucks is a lot but to be fair the game appears to be grand in scale.

I started this DLC from my last save after beating this game. Character level 107. Strength / Dex build, dual wielding curved swords with bleed effect.

I do not think my fingers and thumbs have had such a workout since Sekiro. The difficulty is way higher than the base game of Elden Ring. Heck it is more difficult than Sekiro legit and that one had some rough moments.

Elden Ring DLC is exhausting and I am on the verge of quitting this for good. Maybe I am under levelled. I do not know but I was under the impression finishing base game Elden Ring at level 107 was me being slightly over levelled. Whatever the case I have rage quit numerous times only to go back. I do not know how much longer I can keep this up and keep my sanity. Anyone else playing this bastard of a DLC?

Git Gud? Screw that when I have to wail on enemies half a dozen times - this for rank and file stock, the basic grunts. First main boss fight it took minutes before I noticed the health bar had a small wedge cut out all the while one hit knocks me for three quarters of health.

Brutal game. The DLC in Dark Souls 3 was more challenging than the base game, sure, some tough bosses as well for those that found Nameless King their kindred spirit, but this Elden Ring DLC is ridiculous relative to it's base game.

Voor

Re: Elden Ring DLC

Postby Voor » June 22nd, 2024, 7:15 pm

Souls games aren’t for me, but I do enjoy watching play throughs of them and yes, the consensus seems to be that it’s a big step up in difficulty , which makes me wonder if it’s now closer to the other souls games, as ER was considered the easiest.

Either way, it certainly looks epic, but you have to really want to work for it.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 22nd, 2024, 10:30 pm

Yeah I am going to take a few days off and watch vids and get more info on builds and mechanics that do work. What I have going is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. What troubles me is many streams I have now looked at had levels much higher as well as gear I do not have. I might have to farm souls and materials which will be incredibly tedious. I will wait and see once the noise dies down what works and what does not work rather than be hard stuck for four hours (or go on an 8 hour farming spree which will likely make me loathe the game). I also could consider summons although none I have collected would be resistant to damage since I never bothered using them and consequently they are unlevelled (I also sold the plants you need to level them up so that would mean revisiting the catacombs). Rock and hard place.

The days where a Claymore and a little bit of skill being enough to beat a Souls game are evidently over.

Voor wrote:ER was considered the easiest.

Yes that is true given exploitation of the nonlinearity and picking ones battles (20% of content is optional). People that spam summons can drastically alter the difficulty level as well. Without that, Elden Ring base game is probably harder than Dark Souls and breaks bread with the likes of Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Voor wrote:Either way, it certainly looks epic, but you have to really want to work for it.

Definitely, I have decided not to give up on this, I will just need to solve a problem which I will be able to do once I have enough information to make good decisions.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 23rd, 2024, 11:54 am

Yeah I watched a streamer who did a souls marathon, beating every boss from those games (around 370 I think), struggle mighty with that Dancing Lion boss. And he was very high leveled.

I wonder if FromSoft will patch some things.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 23rd, 2024, 9:57 pm

DrLitch wrote:Elden Ring DLC is exhausting and I am on the verge of quitting this for good. Maybe I am under levelled. I do not know but I was under the impression finishing base game Elden Ring at level 107 was me being slightly over levelled.

FROM added a DLC scaling system where the whole zone is super scaled up, and you have to find Scadutree Fragments to upgrade your scaling.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » June 24th, 2024, 1:13 pm

I have done a bunch of farming and levelled up my stats considerably.

The game is now under control and I am making smoother progress. The area you explore is beautiful and there are some cool mobs. I have switched to keyboard and mouse as well and everything is more responsive. My death count has drastically lowered as a result.

However...

Some bosses are cheaply designed where the difficulty is buff related rather than clever AI move sets.

I am certain the game reads your inputs like Mortal Kombat and insta adjusts - i.e. when you heal the CPU attacks you immediately to stop the heal. This is annoying. Usually I blame myself for healing at the wrong moment but in some occasions the game is cheap. The boss had his back to me and immediately swung around once I hit the R key to heal - that is not my fault, that is BS.

One boss involves stochastics. I was hard stuck for two hours mainly because for one animation there were four possible move outcomes and it is thus a crapshot involving guesswork. This is very unusual for a Souls game to roll dice like this with the player.

Thankfully, most of the bosses I have fought so far are just your typical stock From Software design. Nothing unusual except for gratuitous buffing to artificially alter the difficulty. Classic Souls titles have bosses hitting hard, sure, but you have a means to dodge the next attack. In Dark Souls 3, if you face an enemy with a tanky weapon that can halve your health bar with one swing, that enemy also is usually slow and thus you have plenty of frames to roll the next attack in the combo. In Elden Ring DLC, this is simply not the case, you can go from full health to zero in a split second with no way of pulling off a dodge. Even if you do, downing Estus flasks is occasionally a fools errand since the AI can instantly adjust to prevent you from healing, or if you do manage to heal, you have no frames to dodge the next attack.

Elden Ring DLC goes into uncharted territory for From Software. The base game appealed to a wider more diverse audience and now they have to take ownership of that. This DLC was a love letter penned to the wrong audience - that being a small vapid fanbase of Soulsborne players that jumped off the Dark Souls ship with Sekiro now their little darling. I feel this DLC is the break up text with the new audience they attracted to Elden Ring. Who will expect them to go back after being dumped? There are also plenty of traditional From Software players jumping ship.

I will beat this game and I am enjoying it, for better or worse. I do hope From Software realize who their new target audience is. It is not like Video Game Development is a low risk enterprise.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 24th, 2024, 2:14 pm

Just watched a YouTube vid of a guy who lost to Radahn 600 times. My God, it was sad and hilarious at the same time. And I’m like Voor, I get my Elden Ring fix by watching others play. I never thought I’d find it interesting but I do.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 24th, 2024, 5:14 pm

This DLC sounds horrible. I always hated games that cheated. Forget that, I'll go back to my easy, breezy play through of Super Mario RPG.

Kudos to anyone that actually enjoys that sort of thing, but that is not my cup of tea at the moment.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 24th, 2024, 5:56 pm

The irony is all the Souls gamers telling us to “git gud” all these years are now crying about how hard the game is. Lol

Voor

Postby Voor » June 24th, 2024, 5:59 pm

ActRaiser wrote:This DLC sounds horrible. I always hated games that cheated. Forget that, I'll go back to my easy, breezy play through of Super Mario RPG.

Kudos to anyone that actually enjoys that sort of thing, but that is not my cup of tea at the moment.

I’m halfway my first playthrough of thousand year door and it’s been great!!

Return to “Now Playing”