NBA 2K13

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NBA 2K13

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 2nd, 2013, 8:14 pm

I've been likely NBA 2K13 because it has a new set of controls, and a more realistic feel.  However, there are a few issues with multiplayer.

First, trying to figure who you are is tough.  Several guys have circles around them, and only a tiny sliver of the circle is a different color.  2K really dropped the ball there.  Also, I can't figure out how to see stats for each player (and I mean each player holding a controller).

Irenicus1

NBA 2K13

Postby Irenicus1 » January 3rd, 2013, 11:03 am

Been waiting for this review.

I must be the last NBA Live holdout. 2K09, 2K10 & 2K11 all failed to stop me from playing NBA Live 06 (PS2). I Skipped 2K12.

2K13 has won me over. They did enough POSITIVE changes.

1. Passing = Passing sucked in 2K11, 2K10 was surprisingly better. Passing in 2K13 is pretty good. I can pass around the perimeter. Passes still get intercepted, but at a more fair & realistic rate. You can manually do bounce passes, very awesome.

2. Dribbling = Major change is the right stick defaults as dribblng moves (ala NBA Live 06). You can still use the right stick to shoot, but you have to hold the LT button with the stick. This change works great for me. I really like dribbling with the stick. This one change alone was why I made sure to give this game a chance.

3. Sliding/Skating = In previous games players felt like they skated on the court. Ever try dribbling to the 3-point line to take a shot? Chances are you either wind up 3 feet behind or 3 feet in front of it.  Sometimes it felt more like hockey than basketball. This year's edition is much better. They really put some effort into this. It's not as good as NBA Live 06, but it's also not as stiff as NBA Live 06 either. More fluidity sacrifices precision.   

4. Shooting = pretty good. Shooting with the X button feels better. In previous games it felt more tacked on. This time the control is a little better. Releasing at the height of a jump shot actually does influence the liklihood of the shot going in. Shooting with the stick feels good too, but there's just waaaaay too many types of shots for me. How many people can honestly say they actually always know what kind of shots they are pulling off?

Still some NEGATIVES.

1. Controls are not as precise as the fanboys will lead you to believe. Try calling an intentional foul & see how long, if ever, before one of your players does it. Switching players sometimes takes too long. Animations still take priority over control, but it is improved since 2K11.  

2. Rebounding is not as tight as I would like. Don't get me wrong it is good and better than NBA Live 06's waaaay too automatic rebounding.  Still my PG's & SG's that are poor rebounders are rebounding waaay too well. They often get more rebounds than my Center.

3. Music = personal tastes I guess, but seriously I mute it for menus. I still hear plenty of it pre-game. One song really makes me cringe, here's how it starts....

<Please allow me to reintroduce myself...... My name is Hoeeeeee.......H to the O E.>

Pretty bad stuff.

Just so you all know all I play is offline Association Mode (Xbox 360). I can't tell you anything about online multiplayer or my My Player Mode. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NBA 2K13

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2013, 5:05 pm

Any trouble with the ball sticking to your hands while trying to pass?

Blueguy1

NBA 2K13

Postby Blueguy1 » January 3rd, 2013, 9:03 pm

This game was actually produced by the Jay-Z himself (who is also the co-owner of the Brooklyn Nets), which explains why it has a lot of songs on the album from him, Kanye, and several others associated with him.

As for the game itself, I agree with what everyone else has said. Massive improvement, and it could go down as one of the best basketball games period. EA can only hope to make a basketball game this good.

Irenicus1

NBA 2K13

Postby Irenicus1 » January 4th, 2013, 12:02 am

Couple times, Critic, usually after a rebound & I want to throw a long outlet pass. Sometimes the player will fake the pass when I'm really wanting him to throw it.

Good news is Greg Oden is my Center. The bad news is I couldn't make Adam Morrison my SF, Javaris Crittenton my SG or Stephon Marbury my PG.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NBA 2K13

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 4th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I wonder if the pass hesitation is because there's nobody in the direction I'm trying to pass the ball?  Wow a good instruction manual would help in times like this.

Irenicus1

NBA 2K13

Postby Irenicus1 » January 5th, 2013, 6:12 pm

I think the pass fake is supposed to be a quick/light press of the pass button, while pressing longer/firmer is supposed to be an actual pass. I only have the problem when I'm trying to make the quick outlet pass. In the halfcourt I don't have problems with it. Also pressing LB highlights all players u can pass to.

X button is steal on defense & shoot on offense. Often I'll be pushing the X button on defense several times in a row trying to get a steal. Then all of a sudden my player heaves up a shot at the basket at the other end of the court.

There is an in-game instruction manual page for controls. It's pretty overwelming fo sho playa.

Return to “Now Playing”