Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Think Nintendo has run out of ideas for the Donkey Kong Country series?  Think again!  This game is fantastic.  Classic style gameplay infused with a lot of innovation (and fun) new elements.  Another first-rate first-party title for the Wii U.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 4th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I finally got this game. I bought it digital, because of the Super Smash Brothers eshop sale.

It is always jarring for me to play one of these DK games, because the controls feel so counter intuitive compared to Mario.  I tend to roll when I do not want to, because it feels like a run button, but it is not. Also when you ride the animal and slap him it is such a weird short speed burst. I also do not like the hold z to hold onto the vine, I would rather have it jump to get off, etc.

But I am getting used to it.

It is a fun game, obviously very well made. The graphics are really nice, but to be honest I think graphics are over rated, how people go on and on about them. It looks nice, enough said. The music, is good, but again, I do no think it is anything to geek out over.  The game is somewhat tough, I am not very far in, but most of my problems have been adapting to the controls. It really is an 'east vs west' mentality, and I have spent so much time on the 'east' games, I have to remap my brain for this one.....

Voor

Re: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)

Postby Voor » July 18th, 2021, 8:04 am

Just got this (for the switch)and while I’m enjoying it, I don’t like the control physics. It feels they intentionally added weight to DK, and there’s a certain amount of lag and animations when you try to move and jump. It’s not horrible, but it’s definitely taking some time to get used to.

The graphics are nice, but overall, way too busy for my liking.

Between the controls and the difficulty, I don’t know if I’ll finish it, but I’ll give it a good try

Return to “Now Playing”