NES Remix (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NES Remix (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2015, 3:33 pm

This is just awful.  Instead of a collection of classic games, you get a bunch of mini-games set within the classic games.  It feels like a glorified tutorial, and only succeeds in making you want to play the originals.  Maybe that's what they were going for?

michaeld1

NES Remix (Wii U)

Postby michaeld1 » January 24th, 2015, 4:08 pm

I take it then you picked up the disc version of this that has both NES Remix and NES Remix 2?  Because these were both download only games initially and you may be onto something with trying to sell the older NES games, which are all available via download on the Wii U Virtual Console (I guess because, aside from the Game & Watch Gallery games, Nintendo doesn't really do compilation discs).  

PinMike86661

NES Remix (Wii U)

Postby PinMike86661 » January 25th, 2015, 7:22 pm

If you go in this game expecting full versions of the games, it will obviously be disappointing; NES Remix 1 & 2 are Wii U downloadable games offering time-based challenges for the games presented with a couple sets of remixed challenges. NES Remix does offer a couple full games, though, with Super Luigi Bros. (mirrored version of Super Mario Bros. with Lugi's jumping mechanics) and Nintendo Championship Mode (an offshoot of the Nintendo World Championships from the early 90s). Both NES Remix 1 and NES Remix 2 are $15 each on the Wii U eShop, while an individual NES Virtual Console game is $5, so to expect a compilation of full NES games is overreaching. I think it even says in the game's description that this collection is a collection of challenges, not the full games themselves.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NES Remix (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 25th, 2015, 7:53 pm

I actually knew going in that it was a collection of mini-game challenges.  I just assumed it would be a lot more fun!

PinMike86661

NES Remix (Wii U)

Postby PinMike86661 » January 26th, 2015, 1:49 pm

The general concensus is similar to yours; the challenges could have been more inspired and less tutorial-like. Even so, I still find it fun trying to get the best times for them, but I agree they could have done more creative challenges and Punch-Out!! isn't represented enough as there are only seven challenges and none cover Great Tiger, the World Circuit, and the Dream Bout. It's somewhat hard to believe this was from the same company that did Retro Game Challenge (which has more effort than these games).

Return to “Now Playing”