XCOM Enemy Unknown

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Irenicus1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby Irenicus1 » June 1st, 2013, 11:29 pm

XCOM Enemy Unknown (360)

Awesome game. Turn-based tactical genre. Game consists of turn-based battles & micro managing your base & resources. Both parts are fun & challenging. The game is a challenge for a powerplayer like myself. Its designed for you to lose countries & troops. If you're like me you probably hit reset if one of your characters dies. Do that in this game & you'll be hitting reset nearly every battle.

One nice thing is that there are difficulty options. Want to be like Super Heroes than play easy. I played & beat through my first game on normal. I'm playing my second game on Classic & its pretty hard. I'm trying to save all the countries & I've had to restart 3 times. This 4th time I've gotten the furthest yet on this mode. Also there's Impossible mode. In any mode you can use a Tutorial & Ironman Mode (IM). IM limits saves allowed.  

Mucho fun if you like turn-based tactical games. Rev needs to give it a try.

I give it an A.

ActRaiser1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 16th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I fired this game up this weekend.  And I pretty much completely ignored the wife and the dog. 

I'm going through it on easy to A) figure out how to play it and B) see the story.  It's pretty sweet.  The only thing I dislike is not knowing where the enemy is when you first hit a map.  It's somewhat time consuming to step by step make your way to the enemy.  The alternative is to run in and lose a red shirt.  I'm too anal to let my guys die so if someone does I restart it.  

It's definitely a good game.  Does anyone know how long it takes to complete (roughly) on easy?  I'm trying to decide how much time is left in the game?

Irenicus1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby Irenicus1 » September 16th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Finally someone replied. It only took 3 months, part of the reason I shy from posting on "Now Playing".

I don't know how long it took me, but it felt short, maybe I just didn't want it to end.

Let some die. I know its hard. I've reset a few times, but honestly its more fun to have some casualties. For one your victories feel sweeter. It feels more like you've got worthy enemies. For two, part of the fun I had most was building guys up & even using guys I didn't really want to. In my first game my best soldier was a bald lady from Brazil. At first I didn't want to use her, but when my awesome American Support unit got wasted I had little choice. Just so you know I edited her to be bald, she didn't start that way.  

Sudz1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby Sudz1 » September 24th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Congratulations, you've had more luck than I have!  I picked up a deal on X-Com for only $15 directly from the Microsoft store.  Sadly, when I finally popped it in to play it last week, the disk was unreadable.  I've never had a more difficult time getting through to someone for an online purchase in my life as I have trying to get MS to simply acknowledge it sent me a bad disk and that it will send me a replacement.  I will be extremely hesitant to purchase from the MS online store in the future because of this.  Seriously, Amazon had made reporting a defective product about a 3-click process you can get through in about 5 minutes (or less).  I've spent over 3 hours with MS between phone calls, online chat, and emails, and the closest thing I've come to a resolution is a promise that they'd send me (SEND ME!  Not even let me print some out) some shipping labels so I could return the defective game and once they get it, send me a replacement.  UGH! 

Anyway, looking forward to playing X-com if/when I can get a working copy.

ActRaiser1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 24th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Oh dude!  That completely sucks!  The game is addicting as all hell.  I tell myself I'll play just an hour and then it's after midnight.  It's so easy to get sucked into the "just one more" mission side of things.  The coolest thing and I didn't realize it until I reset a level beforehand is that they all seem to be randomly generated (at least to some extent).  As a result, the missions all tend to play out a bit differently.  At least from what I can tell so far.  That's pretty awesome as it presents a nearly endless amount of replayability.

Irenicus1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby Irenicus1 » September 25th, 2013, 11:40 pm

I've tried finding this game on PC for my father for over a month now. I can't find it at Target, Wal Mart, Meijer, Gamestop, Best Buy or K Mart. These stores all carry PC games and this game is not that old. I wonder why its so hard to find?

darkrage61

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby darkrage61 » September 26th, 2013, 5:08 am

With older PC games, i've found that you're much better off looking online for them at Amazon rather then searching in stores.

ActRaiser1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 11th, 2013, 8:42 am

[QUOTE=Irenicus]I've tried finding this game on PC for my father for over a month now. I can't find it at Target, Wal Mart, Meijer, Gamestop, Best Buy or K Mart. These stores all carry PC games and this game is not that old. I wonder why its so hard to find?[/QUOTE]

I actually found this at Best Buy for the PC.  I was just browsing around and remembered your post.  

And darkrage is right, it's available for order on Amazon as well.

http://www.amazon.com/XCOM-Enemy-Unknown-Special-Edition-PC/dp/B006WQR3OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381495251&sr=8-2&keywords=x-com+enemy+unknown+pc

ptdebate1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby ptdebate1 » October 11th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Does this game benefit from keyboard and mouse controls or is it better with a controller? I can't decide which version of the game to get.

Sudz1

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Postby Sudz1 » October 13th, 2013, 11:16 am

I finally got the replacement disk from MS, so I've been playing this game a bit over the past couple of days.  While I think it's more of a 'lite' game compared to the original X-com, it is fun and has a GREAT Halloween vibe to it.  The campy sci-fi setting, aliens, and atmosphere of the missions really gets you into scary season mode.  I wish they wouldn't have taken away some of the more interesting tactical considerations from the original like building your own base, delaying missions to get favorable light conditions, or the more open environments but overall it's well worth the $15 I paid for it and this is the perfect time of year to be playing it.

Return to “Now Playing”