Grand Theft Auto V

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
HardcoreSadism1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 18th, 2013, 8:09 pm

The driving has improved, it's still challenging in many ways but it did vastly improve. The bikes handle like how a simulated biking experience should; not full of camera randomness or seizure-fluid breaks. Shooting feels like a championship experience, you need to put effort that is unforgiving to noobs (I speak figuratively, I'm sure anyone can get a grasp of the mechanics easily) like how San Andreas' weapons worked.

Irenicus1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Irenicus1 » September 18th, 2013, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme] The music isn't as good, and the 3 characters here aren't nearly as interesting as Niko Belic.  [/QUOTE]

I did not like Niko Belic. First I had a hard time relating to him as I'm American born. Second he came off as such a passive nice guy, which totally made no sense considering the awful things that you could make him do in the game. I thought he was really an awful character design. When the game allows you to essentially be a sociopath why have cut scenes of him being all nice? CJ from San Andreas was much better imo.  

HardcoreSadism1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 18th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I just got to the first heist mission (not gonna count the intro obviously, not going to spoil anything because it is that detailed of a mission lol), one of the funnest moments ever. I think we need to recount the approximate length of the game hah. 

darkrage61

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby darkrage61 » September 19th, 2013, 12:44 am

Irenicus-I liked Niko but I could understand why others didn't. CJ had the exact same problem you mentioned about Niko though, there was that one mission where he buried that one guy alive under cement just because he called Kendl a hooker, (though CJ himself had called her one earlier in the game) that moment seemed wildly out of character(not to mention hypocritical) for him. 

Anyways i've put several hours into this game and so far i'm absolutely loving it, if it's not the best game of all time, then at the very least it's definitely a strong contender for the title.  I've barely even scratched the surface of what it has to offer, I haven't even revealed the whole map yet or met Travis, partially because i've been playing every side mission i've come across.  The biggest surprise so far was a random mission I happened upon, two guys needed a getaway car, so I got one and drove them away from the cops, and when they were talking one of them sounded vaguely familiar, but I couldn't recognize him, then after the mission ended and I got the "new contact" message, I was surprised by the name that popped up(he was a character from IV)i'll definitely be using him for the heist.  I find Franklin's character to be the most likeable by far, basically he's a better version of C.J., though that description dosen't really do him justice.  Michael is kind of a jerk, but you can understand why he's that way given all that he's been through.  The controls are an improvement over IV, I didn't mind the car controls in the previous game so much even though they did take some getting used to, but I noticed a big difference right away in the handling, I personally didn't have too many problems with the shooting mechanics, I had an easier handle on them then I did in any of the previous GTA games.  The soundtrack is also highly impressive and the dialogue is brilliantly written, so far this game really seems to have it all.

weallmissedme1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby weallmissedme1 » September 19th, 2013, 4:56 pm

[QUOTE][QUOTE]Originally Posted by weallmissedme
The music isn't as good, and the 3 characters here aren't nearly as interesting as Niko Belic. [/QUOTE]I did not like Niko Belic. First I had a hard time relating to him as I'm American born. Second he came off as such a passive nice guy, which totally made no sense considering the awful things that you could make him do in the game. I thought he was really an awful character design. When the game allows you to essentially be a sociopath why have cut scenes of him being all nice? CJ from San Andreas was much better imo.  [/QUOTE]

That's why I liked him. He's the kind of guy that you have to think about to understand. He's a nice guy sometimes, and can also kick ass when he has to. CJ was a pretty likeable character too. I loved his personality. But the best story for me was Toni's in Liberty City Stories. I don't want to spoil it, only because of how AWESOME that story was. I was so captivated I nearly fell out of my freakin' CHAIR sometimes!

I also think it must be said that this game is sucking me in a bit more, now that I've unlocked the full map. Leaving LS is a pretty damn good idea, as it's more fun raising hell in rural areas! Thought the rural area was a nice place to live cuz it was quiet? HOW QUIET IS IT NOW BIOTCH!!!!! Ok, I think I'm just gonna go back to the game before I go crazy. [crazy]

weallmissedme1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby weallmissedme1 » September 19th, 2013, 6:35 pm

But let's not forget about watch dogs, it looks like it'll be a good candidate for game of the year, plus it looks better than GTA 5 is!

Irenicus1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Irenicus1 » September 19th, 2013, 8:47 pm

I concede CJ wasn't great, just better than Niko. I liked how CJ got all fat. I can't remember what he said while running & being fat, but I do remember it made me laugh. I understand having more facets to your personality. The problem with Niko was that his game script didn't fit the personality of his actions in-game. At least I felt that way. If he made sense to you then maybe I missed something.

Questions?

1. Can you collect items in this game? I'm a loot collector.
2. Can you access most or all buildings? I remember being bored exploring since 95% of the buildings in 4 were inaccessible.
3. Can you converse with people in the game? I liked Oblivion & Fallout since you could dialogue-tree any character, even if it was just a simple "Go away". I got bored with GTA since the only way to interact with people was to kill them. 

darkrage61

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby darkrage61 » September 20th, 2013, 12:51 am

1-Yes, you can collect items in the game, there's one "Freaks And Strangers" sidequest for Franklin where you can collect 50 spaceship parts, there are also 50 letter scraps that you can collect in order to unlock a secret mission. GTA is one series where I usually have little enthusiasm for collecting all the items because of how many there are and how difficult they can be to find, this time I might actually go for it since 100 sounds reasonable(at least compared to all those damn pigeons in the previous game), though i'll probably end up using a video/guide just to figure out all of the locations.

2. There are quite a few more buildings to explore here then in the previous game and all of them look unique on the inside, there's no copy-and-paste interiors. Still, there are a number of inaccesible buildings, but given how massive the game is that's understandable, if I had to guess i'd say around 65% of buildings are inaccesible.

3. There's no dialogue trees like there are in RPGs such as Mass Effect, nor was I expecting there to be any, it's just not that kind of game. That said you can respond to the emails of several people in the game and get responses, you can also interact with people by calling them up and hanging out with them, though I haven't personally tried it myself yet, as it seems like everytime I call someone they're busy.

DaHeckIzDat1

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » September 20th, 2013, 11:58 pm

After hearing all the hype for this game, I'm tempted to pick one of them up.  Unfortunately, I can't afford a brand new game at the moment.  Is 4 still worth a purchase?

Return to “Now Playing”