Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Rev1

Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Postby Rev1 » October 13th, 2013, 11:39 am

So, this game just came out yesterday and I picked it up on launch day. From what I've heard this game has several new features that really help speed up the main mission mode. For one, the item Experience Share, was buffed big time, decreasing the need to grind in the game. Also, there are Pokemon of all types right at the beginning of the game, making it easy to build your team. I think the two biggest changes that I've heard about this game are the new type (Fairy, which are immune to dragon type attacks, totally nerfing their insane power) and the Mega Evolutions (which you can use once in a match but instantly makes certain Pokemon stupidly good for as long as they stay in). I'm going to start playing this game in about an hour so I'll post my thoughts as I actually play it, here. I'm probably going to dump like 5-6 hours into the game today. Pokemon games always take over my life for about a week after I get them.

Anyone else pick this up yet?

Rev1

Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Postby Rev1 » October 14th, 2013, 1:28 am

Played this quite a bit today and like all Pokemon games, it starts off with the normal things. Boy/girl moves into town. Boy/girl wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause... Ahem... Anyway, the game is pretty fun and most Pokemon games start off pretty slow, due to limited items, money, and no Pokemon. This one is fairly similar but it seems to be pushing for a much faster start period;. The Experience Share is given right after the first gym, so about an hour or so (depending on how much time you spend before the gym) getting everything. You also get the roller blades which makes you insanely fast right before the first gym. Good times. The game seems pretty easy so far, breezed right through the first gym with one random Pokemon. The graphics are pretty nice, they kind of have a cell shaded effect to them, giving it a cartoony feel. The 3D is pathetic, on the main game you can't even tell that it is on. I do like the fact that you can finally customize the clothing your trainer wears. You can be as fashionable as you want.

Overall, I'm having fun with this one, once I get in more time I think it's going to turn into a really great game. The one thing that is annoying is that no one has any clue of what Pokemon turn into what, are what Pokemon is better then the others. Since the game was released worldwide yesterday pretty much everyone is in the dark about what the Pokemon's base stats are, what abilities are good, and so forth. You really have no clue so that does make the game more exciting but at the same time you might end up leveling up a Pokemon that is absolutely worthless, which kind of sucks. I usually like to be prepared for these things.

Rev1

Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Postby Rev1 » October 18th, 2013, 2:06 am

This one is pretty darn good. About 10 hours into the game right now and the speed is much faster then before with much less grinding. There are also some cool new Pokemon and the addition of the Fairy type is pretty interesting. This has been the first game since Gold/Silver that has added a new type (back then it was Steel and Dark) and it was much needed. They also nerfed some of the offensive moves because of the huge power creep that previous titles had making the game more balanced for other playstyles besides hyper offense. I think this is my favorite game since the Gold/Silver games.

Rev1

Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Postby Rev1 » October 29th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I'm pretty close to the end of the main quest of the game (right before the Elite 4) and I have to say that I wish this game was harder. Man oh man, they should have included a hard/insane difficulty or something. With the Experience Share and the Experience boosting egg it is very easy to level up too far. Even then, most of the gym leaders are a breeze, even if you turn off the Experience Share. Some of the games in the series have been very hard (which I think I would have enjoyed) but this one is far too simple. I have had zero problems with the main game... If Nintendo would include a difficulty mode in the next game it would greatly help those who have been playing Pokemon since Red/Blue. Even just an additional quest with ramped up difficulty would suffice (Gold/Silver). Still, this has been a fun game. Recommended if you like the series or like lighthearted RPG's.

Blueguy1

Pokemon X.Y (3DS)

Postby Blueguy1 » January 9th, 2014, 12:41 pm

[QUOTE=Rev] I think this is my favorite game since the Gold/Silver games.[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

I enjoy almost every part about this game, but one little detail I enjoy is the constantly changing camera angles. Love how it conveys exactly how the 2D Pokemon games of old would look in 3D. 

I don't know if this game is AS GOOD as Fire Emblem Awakening (let's be honest, that game raised the bar for handheld RPG's and is in its own league), but it's very fun, and I get lost in this. Haven't been this interested in a Pokemon game in years. 

Return to “Now Playing”