Windows 8

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Astrosmasher1

Windows 8

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 10th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Normally I would not class and operating system as a game but windows 8 is different.  Really the first day I started playing with it I thought are MS having a laugh?  This product is not finished.  It reminds me a lot of the Jaguar promised so much but fails to deliver.   Though after four days use i have given up on it and started using the desktop portion exclusively.  The tiles and charms can take a run and jump.  So when you upgrade be warned windows 8 aint no friend of mine

Astrosmasher1

Windows 8

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 10th, 2013, 4:08 pm

though it would probably be different if I had bough a clunky surface with Windows RT on it.  As then these tiles come into there own.  Games wise I downloaded the free jewel drop which is a poor man's bejeweled. Some game where I had to guess advertising sologans and a Chess game that wiped the floor with me.  They were quite good fun well for free. 
You go into the apps store and there is not that much there.  Though it is early days.

sixam1

Windows 8

Postby sixam1 » March 11th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Are you using Windows 8 on a desktop PC, and controlling it with a mouse. I havn't tried it yet, but my understanding is that Windows 8 is better suited for tablets that use a touchscreen.

steephen1

Windows 8

Postby steephen1 » March 11th, 2013, 11:23 pm

It's going to be another XP for me......with XP I tried it and went back to 2000, now I have to go back to 7.

Astrosmasher1

Windows 8

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 12th, 2013, 12:46 pm

I bought an I5 with 12 gig of RAM last week.  The Surface tablet is seriously underpowered.  Also if you use windows 8 RT it lacks a lot of the features that make Windows such a great OS.  I am typing this on my windows 7 net book and it is so easy in comparison to Windows 8.  Really all I wanted was a powerful laptop to play you tube vids of 8 bit atari games. A lot of times the critic reviews something and I go I want to see this in action.  So I am off to you tube and then I can see the logic of the critics arguement.  This netbook lacks the power to do this. 
Now I have my 360 on for games, my netbook for posting to noticeboards and my laptop is plugged into my surround sound letting me hear internet AOR radio.... well off for an game of Under Defeat.

Astrosmasher1

Windows 8

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

I was playing around with a touch sensitive pc with windows 8.

Really funnily it was great fun.  The front end works so great.  It is such a shame that they did not just use that as the front end for touch screen computers only, trying to jam it into everything is such a joke...

Greisha1

Windows 8

Postby Greisha1 » May 21st, 2013, 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I was playing around with a touch sensitive pc with windows 8.

Really funnily it was great fun.  The front end works so great.  It is such a shame that they did not just use that as the front end for touch screen computers only, trying to jam it into everything is such a joke...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a Windows 8 laptop with no touchscreen. I use the "desktop" exclusively, but my wife seems to use the "start screen" quite a bit. I'm mostly frustrated that there's no start bar on the desktop, and they seem to have "hid" common Windows features (Control Panel, where are you)?

sixam1

Windows 8

Postby sixam1 » May 21st, 2013, 7:42 pm

Good news! Stardock has fixed Windows 8 so it can have a start button, along with a Windows 7 style menu!

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Stardock does charge you $4.99 for their "Start8" download. It's a shame that we have to turn to a third party software company to do what Microsoft should do.

Rev1

Windows 8

Postby Rev1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:34 am

Wow... My partner just got a laptop (with Window's 8) and he has little grasp of technology so I was playing around with it, so I could show him how to use it, and it sucks badly... I can understand where MIcrosoft was going with this, but I just hate it... I find it odd how Microsoft seems to do well with one version, then bombs the next one. Window's XP ruled. Vista sucked, 7 was great, 8 sucks... 8 has developed a really bad rap just like the Vista had half a decade ago...

weallmissedme1

Windows 8

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 24th, 2013, 9:07 am

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Rev
Window's XP ruled. Vista sucked, 7 was great, 8 sucks... 8 has developed a really bad rap just like the Vista had half a decade ago...[/QUOTE] After doing some soul searching, and using XP again in a virtural machine, I must ask a question. What made XP "rule". What justified the "upgrade" from Windows 2000? I don't understand why everyone keeps saying XP was great!

Return to “Now Playing”