Final Fantasy XV is an action game

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 17th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I chose to go with a provocative title this time just to drive a point home: the latest and fifteenth "Final" Fantasy isn't your grandpa's JRPG. 

It's fully real-time and action-based with no separation between exploration and combat. It's more DmC than FFXIII. The gameplay takes inspiration from Tomb Raider and features minimal leveling and upgrade mechanics. The world is open and fully explorable.

As mentioned before, I've been following the troubled development of this game since it was first revealed as a spinoff of FFXIII. Since then, it's made a clean break from that game entirely, instead becoming a numbered title in its own right. A moderate but vocal group of fans clamored for more information than the short cinematic trailers and demonstrations provided. Almost total silence prevailed from 2009 to 2013, the year console gamers everywhere were reassured of the reality of the project by 2013's triumphant E3 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfFbGZ68nI

Almost ten years have passed since I first saw the reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BxZzgKzWiw

Can any release possibly live up to expectations after fans have been waiting ten years?

I cautiously affirm that it can. How can I say that? Well, I've played the demo.

Included with my copy of Final Fantasy Type-0 was a demo for FFXV, which I of course loaded up first thing this morning. I only got to play it for 20 minutes and I can't wait to continue later this evening. I'm thinking of recording some of my gameplay to upload for those of you who don't have the demo. Let me know if any of you would be interested in this. I will update with more impressions later when I'm home. Stay tuned!

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 17th, 2015, 4:07 pm

You have tickled my fancy with your write up ptdebate !
This generation is really starting to kick in now, so many amazing games on the horizon.

Please let us know more once you've had more hands on time with it.

Return to “Now Playing”