Bloodborne: From Soft does it again

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 24th, 2015, 2:03 pm

From Software's action RPGs are a little like Grand Theft Auto. From humble origins (King's Field, GTA I&II), it saw a breakout hit that revolutionized a genre (Demon's Souls, GTA III) and somehow managed to recreate that success again and again, reaching greater heights of success with each iteration. Although far from Call of Duty numbers, 1.7 million copies is massive for such an obscure, regionally-focused developer. 

In short, Bloodborne is From Software's GTA V. The gameplay is trimmed down to the leanest essentials after Dark Souls II's comparative bloatedness. There's essentially just one method of healing, one crafting item, and only six starting classes and seven attributes. There is no respeccing. There are no shields or magic. An offense-focused, aggressive approach to mobs is essential for survival. The world is bigger and richer than ever, featuring sprawling levels and a unique aesthetic inspired by 19th-century gothic fiction. 

Bloodborne is the ideal entry point for action gamers because it prioritizes forward momentum and slightly de-emphasizes stats. The dark and foreboding atmosphere and Victorian should appeal to those who expected more meaty gameplay from The Order: 1886. So far, it's received more critical acclaim than any prior game from this developer, sitting pretty at a metascore of 93, making it the highest-rated current-gen exclusive.

I've only gotten to play about an hour so far. More detailed impressions later. Happy hunting!

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » March 24th, 2015, 3:57 pm

I just picked this up last night.
I'm a few hours into the game and so far
its incredible. Obviously very much like
the Soul's series, but so far even from just
the short amount of time ive put in the game
its my fav of the bunch. It seems to be the
most accessible if that makes sence, still
has the challenge, but a lil more easier to
grasp in my opinion, but also im only a few
hours into the game so im sure ill be cussing
it very soon!!!!
Either way, its definelty worth playing !!

Ozzy

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » March 24th, 2015, 8:46 pm

I hear this game is similar to Dark Souls, which is great for some but I hate Dark Souls.
Can anyone compare how it's similar and how it's not? If it's Dark Souls difficulty I won't want it if it were free. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 24th, 2015, 9:50 pm

[QUOTE=Gilly]I hear this game is similar to Dark Souls, which is great for some but I hate Dark Souls.
Can anyone compare how it's similar and how it's not? If it's Dark Souls difficulty I won't want it if it were free. [/QUOTE]

Bloodborne is to Dark Souls as Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time. In the big picture, they're very similar.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 25th, 2015, 10:54 am

Thanks for telling me it was From Software.  I always think that they are the type of company that produces also runs.  Chrome hounds.  Also the forgettable Dark Souls series.   I was really jealous of PS4 owners but now I know it is from software they are welcome to it.

Has anyone play the new FF? I was put off the series by the 13 games ...

I am waiting for Witcher 3 with the dynamic beard simulator included.  I am growing a beard at the moment.  From goatie to full beard

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 25th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I'm not jealous either, I know these type of masochistic games appeal to a lot of people, but i'm not one of them.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 25th, 2015, 1:51 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Thanks for telling me it was From Software.  I always think that they are the type of company that produces also runs.  Chrome hounds.  Also the forgettable Dark Souls series.   I was really jealous of PS4 owners but now I know it is from software they are welcome to it.

I am waiting for Witcher 3 with the dynamic beard simulator included.  I am growing a beard at the moment.  From goatie to full beard
[/QUOTE]

Whoa, Astro--easy with those italics! [tongue]

I've been playing the new FF (I assume you're talking about Type-0). It's really good! It's more of an action game like God Hand or Devil May Cry, although it still has a few elements in common with classic FF games. Definitely very little in common with 13.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 25th, 2015, 6:23 pm

For those that are playing it, how does Bloodborne look? I followed the development pretty closely and it looked absolutely beautiful. I'm assuming it looks and plays well. The one technical hiccup critics have been complaining about-- loading times-- are getting patched soon. Overall, it's nice to see a new IP (although this one has obvious influences), scoring so well. I'd wager it sells well and will probably get a (cross- platform?) sequel.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 25th, 2015, 7:22 pm

From the gameplay videos i've seen on sites like Twitch it looks OK but not exactly breathtaking, the color scheme I personally find very dull and unappealing.

Some people have also complained about the game having a really low framerate(it's said to frequently dip below 30 FPS and sometimes struggle to even maintain 20).

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 25th, 2015, 10:22 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Thanks for telling me it was From Software.  I always think that they are the type of company that produces also runs.  Chrome hounds.  Also the forgettable Dark Souls series.   I was really jealous of PS4 owners but now I know it is from software they are welcome to it.

[/QUOTE]

Whoa, Astro--easy with those italics! [tongue]

I've been playing the new FF (I assume you're talking about Type-0). It's really good! It's more of an action game like God Hand or Devil May Cry, although it still has a few elements in common with classic FF games. Definitely very little in common with 13.[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

Yeah just having a bit of fun with my fonts. 

Return to “Now Playing”