Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX/PS3 - Metal Gear Solid HD Collection)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sut1

Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX/PS3 - Metal Gear Solid HD Collection)

Postby Sut1 » April 2nd, 2014, 1:53 pm

Anyone played these ? Kojima's original games in the series, I've now completed both and enjoyed them, especially the second one where you can see a lot of the ideas that went into Metal Gear Solid.

I'd rate them both as very good, I wouldn't call them great as I had to obtain help from a FAQ a couple of times through either getting lost or just having no idea what I had to do next.

Certainly worth a playthrough and they are part of a great compilation (tucked away in the Metal Gear Solid 3 option menu).

Anyone else played through these ? The NES versions are different and inferior by all accounts and the C64 version is reportedly awful but if anyone has played these as well would like to hear your thoughts.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 2nd, 2014, 2:01 pm

Yeah, I own the same collection on the PS3 and I really enjoyed being able to play these games. They were a blast and you're right the second game really does lay the foundation for MGS (PS1).

About the collection.. The collection was so misleading in the fact that it advertises all the games in one collection but VR Missions and the original MGS are both download codes. That was irritating.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 4th, 2014, 1:47 pm

I own them on both the MGS HD Collection on PS3 and on Vita.  They're both great games.  It's kind of a shame there isn't a consol-ized collection of MSX2 games.  Anyway, you're absolutely right that they're both far superior to Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge on NES.  I don't get people's fascination with those NES versions when Kojima himself has distanced himself from them, claiming the MSX2 versions are cannon.  I'm glad you enjoyed them.  Between these two games and Snatcher, Kojima really was a pioneer, even in his early days.  Well ahead of his time.

Also, thinking about Snatcher makes me want to play it again.  Man, what a great game.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 4th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Snatcher was the first Kojima game I played on Sega CD, absolutely loved it. It's definitely a game I want to save for and own again.
I also never got around to Policenauts as there was a fan translation for the PSOne, anyone played that ?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 4th, 2014, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I also never got around to Policenauts as there was a fan translation for the PSOne, anyone played that ?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played that one. There is currently a fan translation in progress for the Saturn so I'm hoping that one day that will get done. the project has had a few hiccups lately but they keep stating it is in the works. Hopefully, it will see the light of day someday.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 6th, 2014, 9:39 pm

I played through these last month and enjoyed them quite a bit, also played through Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » April 24th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Just playing through Metal Gear Solid 1 on PS (I'm on a full MGS run at the moment) and the amount of ideas, character and boss fights that have been reimagined from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake has surprised me.
Although this time it's nailed spot on, no hunting for tips or guides. This game is still one of the best games I've ever played and I'm enjoying it as much now as when I first played it. I might track down Twin Snakes and see how they tweaked this masterpiece.

Return to “Now Playing”